PDA

View Full Version : The Poles are making an RPG.

Sir Penguin
27-10-2004, 04:46:42
It's called The Witcher. It looks like it could be good. It's single-player only, so it should have a good story, and that's one of the important bits. You can only control one character though, and I haven't found a lot of the character advancement details (aside from it being XP-based, and not using an existing ruleset), so that remains to be seen.

Anyway, it looks like it's taken the atmosphere of Temple of Elemental Evil (before its castration at the hands of the publishers) and late-stages Morrowind, as well as the not-quite-linear structure of KOTOR as well as KOTOR's player-decision-based story outcome, and a vastly improved Aurora engine from NWN (the screenshots are quite pretty, more KOTOR than NWN).

Hopefully, the grammar in the game will be better than that on the official website. And also it would be nice if the American publishers don't clamp down on the dark stuff like with ToEE. Maybe you'll be able to kill children and rape their dogs. That will be great.

No release date yet. Which is nice.

http://www.thewitcher.com

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/560/560010p1.html

SP

MDA
27-10-2004, 11:42:03
Never heard of the books. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'm also keeping an eye on The Bard's Tale.

LoD
01-11-2004, 01:58:01
Originally posted by Sir Penguin

Anyway, it looks like it's taken the atmosphere of Temple of Elemental Evil (before its castration at the hands of the publishers)

I'd rather say it takes the atmosphere from Sapkowski's novels :).
I'm not sure about the game, but as far as the books go, Sapkowski is the Numer One in Polish fantasy writing. His trademark creation is (yup, you guessed it) the Witcher Saga, which spans 2 prequel compilation of short stories as well as pentalogy. What's unike about the world he created is that it's much more... well... realistic. Nothing is black and white, "noble" elves will raid peasants for food, and witchers are often regarded not as heros, but as abominations and a necessary evil. Magic has it costs on the body, in particular all female wizards are sterile, and so are witchers - which is quite important of a fact since the title character is a witcher and his main love interest is a sorceress.
What's also unique about his Saga is that it can be read on many levels - it's an excellent adventure novel as well as an insight into human nature and a invitation for discussion of contemporary problems. But don't be fooled - it's not pompatic, the author doesn't try to force the reader to think that it's some great epic saga.... in fact, some of the scenes in the heptalogy are downright hilarious (like an elf trying to save a sacred site behind a cave wall by doodling immitations of caveman paintings on said wall - he can't however spare himself the mischief on adding huuuge wangs to the silhouettes).
However, I'd wait for the reviews on this one - Sapkowski is not very often involved in such developmnets on the franchise, and stick to his books. For example, the movie they made based on the Saga was complete shit - they tried to cram everything into 2 hours, which is impossible. On the other, the game looks promising.

Sir Penguin
01-11-2004, 03:04:19
I'm sure the atmosphere is more like the guy's books than anything else, but I suspect most people outside of Eastern Europe have never heard of them. :) I'd like to give them a read though, if I ever have time to read a new franchise.

SP

LoD
02-11-2004, 00:34:20
First of all, it's CENTRAL Europe you twat, we're no longer living in the Cold War era, why keep using terms that only were applicable for only 50 years of Europe's history :p?
Well, the thing is, there's either no English translation, or no good English translation, hence the obscurity (there are German and French translations 'though).

There's a translation of one of the short stories on the game's download page - it's here to download (http://www.thewitcher.com/files/Lesser_Evil_story.zip). The translation is okay - gets a bit pompous at times, mostly due to the avoidance of contractions and occasional use of "ye olde" syntax, which Sapkowski specifically avoids unless it's absolutely needed (ie. when a commoner tries to sound "official"), but it still provides a decent presentation of how the world looks like.

OK, I've done some more research, one good thing, one bad thing:
-the bad thing: they will use Geralt as the main character, although they weren't doing that originally - reeks of cheap marketing gimmic.
-the good thing: the project lead is a really prominent figure on the Polish gaming scene.

Sir Penguin
02-11-2004, 01:09:02
Why is central Euope in the east of Europe? :p

I'm pretty sure I read that the stories have been translated into English. It would have been nice if they'd said good or bad English, I guess. I just assumed they weren't famous because the guy's name is hard to pronounce and spell. :)

SP

MDA
02-11-2004, 12:23:59
like Zelazny?

LoD
02-11-2004, 14:33:29
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
Why is central Euope in the east of Europe? :p

Err... I see you traded your common sense in for programming skills :p. How can something at the center be not at the center at the same time?
And, BTW, Google is your friend (http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Geographic_centre_of_Europe).

I'm pretty sure I read that the stories have been translated into English. It would have been nice if they'd said good or bad English, I guess. I just assumed they weren't famous because the guy's name is hard to pronounce and spell.

From what I've read on various forums there's no good enough translation to English currently.

MDA: :lol: . That reminds me, I need to change my last name before doing something famous ;).

MDA
02-11-2004, 15:15:47
:) My wife's maiden name is Trzcianka. She was pretty happy to be rid of it.

Sir Penguin
02-11-2004, 19:58:05
Originally posted by LoD
Err... I see you traded your common sense in for programming skills :p. How can something at the center be not at the center at the same time?
And, BTW, Google is your friend (http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Geographic_centre_of_Europe).

I'll have you know I looked up a map of Europe on Google before I posted that. Poland is not in the centre. :clueless:

SP