PDA

View Full Version : RIP John Peel

Debaser
26-10-2004, 13:06:44
Sad sad news. DJ John Peel has died suddenly while on holiday in Peru.

More here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3955289.stm

King_Ghidra
26-10-2004, 13:08:50
The fuck?!?! NOooooooooooo!!

The guy is a fucking hero!!

That is a downright tragedy.

:cry:

His family and kids feelings notwithstanding, that is probably the single greatest blow to genuinely independent music that this country has suffered.

A fucking hero.

protein
26-10-2004, 13:09:27
I was just about to post this.

The man was a legend. He may have played mostly crap on his shows but the fact that he could get away with playing anything from any genre by anyone was refreshing.

Resource Consumer
26-10-2004, 13:10:09
Oh no! :( Many happy hours I spent listening to him

Debaser
26-10-2004, 13:10:22
Definately. Fucking legend.

*plays teenage kicks*

lightblue
26-10-2004, 13:18:10
:(

Funkodrom
26-10-2004, 13:24:20
Terrible news. :(

Nills Lagerbaak
26-10-2004, 13:27:13
:( listened to him on occassion, but my Dad was a massive fan, used to play me recordings of his shows when I were a lad

Provost Harrison
26-10-2004, 14:45:05
Shit! :(

The Bursar
26-10-2004, 15:03:20
:( That's sad.

Tizzy
26-10-2004, 15:29:11

Scabrous Birdseed
26-10-2004, 15:35:37

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-10-2004, 16:38:39
I'm depressed now. A top bloke all round, really.

*End Is Forever*
26-10-2004, 16:51:05

Anyone want a stab at a CG obituary?

fp
26-10-2004, 16:59:51
It's not often I'm genuinely gutted when some celebrity I've never met dies, but this is one of those times. :(

Resource Consumer
26-10-2004, 17:20:11
I have in my possession (from 1981) and autographed copy of the Fall's "Slates" EP. The great Mr Peel had set up some competition or other and I enteredand also added a letter bemoaning that the Fall (much loved by Mr Peel) never played the Guildford area etc....

The message on the inner sleeve is "Dear Keith. You didn't really win but here's a present anyway. Best wishes. John Peel"

It arrived the same day as my A-level results and there are no prizes for guessing which I opened first and which gave me greatest pleasure.

RIP Mr Peel - you were one of the best.

Eklektikos
26-10-2004, 18:55:08

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-10-2004, 19:58:02
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*

Anyone want a stab at a CG obituary?

Just done one. Check your PM's.

*End Is Forever*
26-10-2004, 20:58:43
Got it. I don't have article publishing rights, though.

Scabrous Birdseed
27-10-2004, 08:20:56
Right, I'll put it up. Wait for the Icon.

Funkodrom
27-10-2004, 08:28:31
Originally posted by Resource Consumer
I have in my possession (from 1981) and autographed copy of the Fall's "Slates" EP. The great Mr Peel had set up some competition or other and I enteredand also added a letter bemoaning that the Fall (much loved by Mr Peel) never played the Guildford area etc....

The message on the inner sleeve is "Dear Keith. You didn't really win but here's a present anyway. Best wishes. John Peel"

It arrived the same day as my A-level results and there are no prizes for guessing which I opened first and which gave me greatest pleasure.

RIP Mr Peel - you were one of the best.

It's amazing how many stories like that I've heard about him from people I know. He must have spent all the time he wasn't listening to new music writing to other music fans.

I heard Michael Eavis on the radio this morning saying he thinks he's going to call the New Bands stage at Glastonbury the John Peel stage. Seems a fitting tribute.

Scabrous Birdseed
27-10-2004, 08:42:46
Right, the article is there but it won't accept my icon. If anyone wants to give publishing a go here's the image:

Scabrous Birdseed
27-10-2004, 08:43:45
Actually, maybe I should just try IE instead of Camino.

Funkodrom
27-10-2004, 09:35:23
:lol:

Funkodrom
27-10-2004, 10:30:38
That file was 29K! Max is 10K, I reduced it to under 10K but it still doesn't work.

King_Ghidra
27-10-2004, 11:07:10
Originally posted by Funkodrom
I heard Michael Eavis on the radio this morning saying he thinks he's going to call the New Bands stage at Glastonbury the John Peel stage. Seems a fitting tribute.

That would be cool.

My original response to this news was rather ridiculous but god i respected John Peel. Just a top guy.

Funkodrom
27-10-2004, 16:36:10
Peel bands

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/04/entertainment_the_john_peel_hit_list/html/1.stm

Amazing really.

Debaser
27-10-2004, 16:40:44
On the radio earlier (or maybe last night) Brian Eno said that realistically he's been without doubt the most important single figure in English music for the last 40yrs. Quite remarkable really.

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-10-2004, 16:46:33
He's the British equivalent of Alan Lomax, and more.

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-10-2004, 16:56:05
http://www.b3tapix.com/pic/peel.gif

Resource Consumer
27-10-2004, 17:53:54
Exactly, Laz.

I too was amazed about how many good bands (and I include Pink Floyd at that time too) he championed. The world would have been so much poorer (certainly mine would) if it were not for his pioneering and playing a lot of those acts (and others)

Angelhorns
28-10-2004, 00:29:38
Exactly, Laz.

I too was amazed about how many good bands (and I include Pink Floyd at that time too) he championed. The world would have been so much poorer (certainly mine would) if it were not for his pioneering and playing a lot of those acts (and others)

He seemed like a nice guy and was an undoubted influence on music (I for one could have cheerfully lived without 'Home Truths' tho), but I think you're overstating the case to say the world would be poorer. He was just a DJ, not a political activist or a saint.

Anyway my interesting Peel factoid is: If you look at the pictures of the assassination of Lee Harvey Oswald (who allegedly shot JFK) you will see Peelie in the background, as he was a reporting radio presenter in the US at that time.

Weird huh?

protein
28-10-2004, 00:37:10
Since music shapes culture then yes the world would be poorer. If Peel hadn't played so much punk, reggae, drum'n'bass and garage rock then what cliques and movements (along with their political agendas and drug habits) might not have happened in the UK?

Angelhorns
28-10-2004, 07:14:55
nonsense- music would just have followed a slightly different path at the most drastic. There are other DJ's, other bands, and other influences on music (such as the American influence thats dominates popular music). You can't possibly say that the world would be poorer, thats to deify the guy. Apart from anything else, most successful musical influences in recent years have been from the streets so to speak- folk in the 60's, disco/punk in the 70's, rap and dance in the 80's/90's. Where there's a youth market, there's a willing record label, so all this stuff would have made it to the charts anyway and it wasn't him giving out recording contracts. Maybe the odd band he promoted wouldn't have succeeded without him, but we'd have had other bands instead.
If anything he should be respected more for his attitude to music which was open minded and experimental, and his support of new bands, which helped to promote some of these movements and bring them to the fore with the movers and shakers. He was an influential part of a process, but to say he changed the world in some way is ridiculous.

Funkodrom
28-10-2004, 08:27:52
Do you two have to bicker about everything? :rolleyes: This is just a remembrance thread.

Resource Consumer
28-10-2004, 08:56:55
Originally posted by Angelhorns
He seemed like a nice guy and was an undoubted influence on music (I for one could have cheerfully lived without 'Home Truths' tho), but I think you're overstating the case to say the world would be poorer. He was just a DJ, not a political activist or a saint.

Anyway my interesting Peel factoid is: If you look at the pictures of the assassination of Lee Harvey Oswald (who allegedly shot JFK) you will see Peelie in the background, as he was a reporting radio presenter in the US at that time.

Weird huh?

I stand by my statement. Sure, he did not put food in anybody's bellies. However, my enjoyment of life has been enhanced by things that he introduced me to. Of course, none of us can say that I and others would not by some means have got to hear the same stuff but I am happy about the turn that things took for me. So, I feel he has made my life a lot richer. It seems the several pages of messages on the BBC site suggest that quite a lot of people feel much the same.

Funkodrom
28-10-2004, 09:01:24
I agree with protein and RC.

Debaser
28-10-2004, 10:28:08
And just to further correct Miss Horns, if you check the photos of Lee Harvey Oswald's assasination you won't find Peelie anywhere. If you check the photo's of the press conference after his initial arrest on the other hand, there he is.

Oh, and he wasn't a "reporting radio presenter" at the time either, he was just in Dallas with his mate. They blagged their way in by pretending that John was a reporter for the Liverpool Echo and his mate was a photographer.

Funkodrom
28-10-2004, 10:35:18
It was all Nav's fault!

Obit now published.

http://www.counterglow.com/article.php?id=peelobit

Resource Consumer
28-10-2004, 10:53:18
:) Neat story about the curry

Funkodrom
28-10-2004, 11:04:31
It really is amazing how many stories like that there are about him.

At the gig I was at last night Three Litre started the gig with a minute's noise as a tribute. :)

Lazarus and the Gimp
28-10-2004, 18:33:15
:) Neat story about the curry

Billy Bragg did the same thing with his first demo. They used that story for research as to what food he'd lke.

protein
28-10-2004, 18:51:23
AH, You don't get on a label and immediately people buy your record. You need airplay. Peel gave that to alot of acts that nobody else would have dared to. If there were never a John Peel we would all be listening to American pop right now.

Angelhorns
28-10-2004, 19:04:00
Originally posted by protein
AH, You don't get on a label and immediately people buy your record. You need airplay. Peel gave that to alot of acts that nobody else would have dared to. If there were never a John Peel we would all be listening to American pop right now.

I understand the airplay thing, but somehow I don't think John Peel is single handedly responsible for putting British acts in the charts.

Angelhorns
28-10-2004, 19:06:32
Originally posted by Debaser
And just to further correct Miss Horns, if you check the photos of Lee Harvey Oswald's assasination you won't find Peelie anywhere. If you check the photo's of the press conference after his initial arrest on the other hand, there he is.

Oh, and he wasn't a "reporting radio presenter" at the time either, he was just in Dallas with his mate. They blagged their way in by pretending that John was a reporter for the Liverpool Echo and his mate was a photographer.

So I was nearly right- my brother told me that story and obviously exaggerated

Angelhorns
28-10-2004, 19:07:18
I agree with protein and RC.

I'd never have seen that coming

Angelhorns
28-10-2004, 19:15:48
I stand by my statement. Sure, he did not put food in anybody's bellies. However, my enjoyment of life has been enhanced by things that he introduced me to. Of course, none of us can say that I and others would not by some means have got to hear the same stuff but I am happy about the turn that things took for me. So, I feel he has made my life a lot richer. It seems the several pages of messages on the BBC site suggest that quite a lot of people feel much the same.

I appreciate that- I enjoyed his show too and got into some bands he played, in fact I had friends who were on his show a few times. However I think to say he 'changed the world' is misguided. The prevailing social order hasn't changed, poverty has not been ended, cancer has not been cured. Africa and Asia have probably never heard of him. I don't think world order and the music industry will collapse without him, & I think Peel himself would have blushed at the suggestion.
Why can't we just remember him as a music fan, a genuine guy who was really passionate about his work/hobby, and someone who brought a little light and a lot of interest into a lot of people's lives? And lets try to forget the hideously twee Home Truths.

Angelhorns
28-10-2004, 19:19:40
Do you two have to bicker about everything? :rolleyes: This is just a remembrance thread.

YES GODDAMMIT!!

I only bicker with Protein because he's so diametrically opposed to things I believe. I agree with him at least 50% of the time tho and he's funny and interesting so its not a dislike thing for me at least. Didnt mean to detract from the rembrance bit

Lazarus and the Gimp
28-10-2004, 19:21:28
I understand the airplay thing, but somehow I don't think John Peel is single handedly responsible for putting British acts in the charts.

Selling 5,000 copies will get your record into the charts, and at periods Peel had listener figures of over 100 times that. He certainly did get acts into the charts.

Resource Consumer
28-10-2004, 19:26:22
I appreciate that- I enjoyed his show too and got into some bands he played, in fact I had friends who were on his show a few times. However I think to say he 'changed the world' is misguided. The prevailing social order hasn't changed, poverty has not been ended, cancer has not been cured. Africa and Asia have probably never heard of him. I don't think world order and the music industry will collapse without him, & I think Peel himself would have blushed at the suggestion.
Why can't we just remember him as a music fan, a genuine guy who was really passionate about his work/hobby, and someone who brought a little light and a lot of interest into a lot of people's lives? And lets try to forget the hideously twee Home Truths.

AH - well put and that was what I was, with my pathetic grasp of the english language, trying to say. I never claimed he changed the world. But for many people, like me, who were helped in bad times by the music that he brought (which we would not have found at such times), the friendly uncle humour of his shows and in the longer term by the adoption of the willingness to listen outside of the corporate box that he exuded then he stands apart from that hideous word "disc jockey" because he was simply something else. Even more - he was so to more than one generation of people.

Resource Consumer
28-10-2004, 19:32:46
oh, and by the way - I never claimed that he "changed the world". And I think the man would have more than blushed at such a statement :)

Angelhorns
28-10-2004, 22:31:09
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Selling 5,000 copies will get your record into the charts, and at periods Peel had listener figures of over 100 times that. He certainly did get acts into the charts.

Absolutely, I was just countering Protein's suggestion that there would only be American acts in the charts without him.

I really liked his eclecticism- and I felt he enthused about music and made it interesting without the painful boring nerdiness and suck factor of someone like Jo Whiley, or the 'i'm gonna make you rich' arrogance of Chris Evans.

Funkodrom
29-10-2004, 07:56:24
YES GODDAMMIT!!

I only bicker with Protein because he's so diametrically opposed to things I believe. I agree with him at least 50% of the time tho and he's funny and interesting so its not a dislike thing for me at least. Didnt mean to detract from the rembrance bit

I think you bicker with him because you are both so similar. :D

Angelhorns
29-10-2004, 08:08:48
he wants me, its obvious :D :nervous:

Angelhorns
29-10-2004, 08:27:09
Just to add an alternative view from my beloved Julie:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,321755,00.html

Funkodrom
29-10-2004, 08:35:05
Burchill schmurchill. I wouldn't mind if she actually believed half the stuff she wrote but she just does it for shock value or to annoy people.

King_Ghidra
29-10-2004, 08:53:12
Julie Burchill is the woman Johan wishes he was. :D

Funkodrom
29-10-2004, 08:53:31
:lol:

Scabrous Birdseed
29-10-2004, 10:16:23
God no, I hate her.

She's the best Troll on the planet though.

Funkodrom
29-10-2004, 11:23:37
You think so? I think Asher's much better.

protein
29-10-2004, 14:42:44
Great obit by the way. The courier/curry plan was genius.

King_Ghidra
29-10-2004, 15:51:25
You think so? I think Asher's much better.

asher might get people going on poly, i don't think he has much luck here

Fuck ken bigley, they should have a minute's silence for peely at the next liverpool game

zmama
29-10-2004, 15:53:30
Asher gets AH everytime!

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-10-2004, 17:32:20
Julie Burchill did produce one great quote- it was by her ex-husband Tony Parsons.

"Hell hath no fury like a first wife run to fat."

Angelhorns
30-10-2004, 03:13:17
Originally posted by zmama
Asher gets AH everytime!

balls- I was winding him up last week and he bit every time

Angelhorns
30-10-2004, 03:21:19
Burchill schmurchill. I wouldn't mind if she actually believed half the stuff she wrote but she just does it for shock value or to annoy people.

I think she has a really good point in (some of) her John Peel article. She's quoting him, not anyone else, talking about how he got head off 13 year olds and stuff. Obviously that doesnt fit into the hero worship scenario thats going on in this thread, but it doesnt alter the fact thats what he was up to. As far as I know, that wasnt acceptable even in the 60's. Its kinda creepy and or abusive, and he'd be lambasted/investigated for claiming similar these days (were he alive). Not so sure about her slightly bizarre views on Home Truths.

I think people are only shocked/annoyed by Burchill because she's female and doesnt support convention/middle class status quo/maledom. There are plenty of 'controversial' male writers too who dont have half her reputation.

I like her, even though I frequently disagree with her. She's a modern post punk genius. None of you were writing for NME when you were 16 :)

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-10-2004, 07:21:51
I think she has a really good point in (some of) her John Peel article. She's quoting him, not anyone else, talking about how he got head off 13 year olds and stuff. Obviously that doesnt fit into the hero worship scenario thats going on in this thread, but it doesnt alter the fact thats what he was up to. As far as I know, that wasnt acceptable even in the 60's. Its kinda creepy and or abusive, and he'd be lambasted/investigated for claiming similar these days (were he alive).

You'd be staggered by how much attitudes have changed.

Just check back over song lyrics- the "Sexy little schoolgirls" line in "Kinky boots", for example. That's from what was considered to be a fairly innocent cheeky song too. You also had "Oz" magazine's "Jailbait of the month", Motorhead's "Jailbait", any number of cheeky blue movies set in girl's schools. Bill Wyman not geting prosecuted for having a lengthy sexual relationship with a 13 year-old girl in the 1980's.

Now I'm not saying it's right or wrong in either era, but the current taboo on these issues is a development of the last 15-20 years. Peel over recent decades was quite open about his past, and he wasn't bragging about it either. He was plainly embarrassed and said his conduct in the 60's was sordid- just like just about everyone else in the Rock'n'Roll old, in fact. He'd grown up.

As for Julie Burchill? Good achievements in early years in writing. Crap mother, but in future years perhaps we'll be more relaxed about parents walking out on their kids.

Angelhorns
30-10-2004, 17:13:31
well, men do it all the time.

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-10-2004, 17:15:38
They certainly do, but I've not yet seen one dismiss it by writing "Sons are something women give to men".

Angelhorns
30-10-2004, 19:56:14
that makes no sense

Funkodrom
01-11-2004, 09:22:46
I think that's Laz's point.

Angelhorns
01-11-2004, 21:52:37
everything Laz said just backs up her point that middle class men are allowed to do what the fuck they want and then get away with it all and return to their comfortable lives, while the working class girls are stuck with the miserable lives that sprang from getting pregnant too early or trading their youth for sexual favours. Clearly thats why she drew the example of his first wife who went bonkers.

And just to be clear on this: The 60's may have been 'liberal', but I certainly don't think any decent man would have been getting sucked off by a 13 year old...My father was the same age as John Peel, and I think he'd rather have thrown himself in front of a bus than sleep with an underage girl. Its not logical to say 'hey it was the 60's so it can be excused'. No. I don't believe it was excusable at the time, in anyone's eyes, so why should it be ok now? It wasn't ok for Jonathan King to do what he did in the 70's either, and indeed he's been reviled by the press and jailed, but because John Peel maintained a veneer of cool, you are giving him your blessing and absolution with 'he grew up'.

I'd have expected better from intelligent men like yourselves and I think its shocking not to mention scary that your hero worship can cause you to be so deliberately blind. I can't believe that you cant actually say 'yes what he did was wrong'.

I also imagine that your attitude would be somewhat different should your daughter find herself in a similar situation aged 13 Laz. Are you gonna just let the guy get on with it and say 'well its ok, he'll grow up and realise he was wrong'. I doubt it. I think your 'not saying if its right or wrong' attitude might suddenly become very decisive.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-11-2004, 22:10:34
I also imagine that your attitude would be somewhat different should your daughter find herself in a similar situation aged 13 Laz. Are you gonna just let the guy get on with it and say 'well its ok, he'll grow up and realise he was wrong'. I doubt it. I think your 'not saying if its right or wrong' attitude might suddenly become very decisive.

In fairness, I think I'd get similarly shirty if she became a serial abandoner of her children while using her newspaper to declare that her doing so was not only forgiveable, but laudable.

Both Peel and Burchill have done dubious things. Peel always admitted he was wrong. Burchill always claims she's right.

Angelhorns
01-11-2004, 22:22:07
abandoning is a very emotive word. many parents have to leave their children for one reason another. It still doesnt equate to fucking children.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-11-2004, 22:29:24
Well she walked out on her first marriage because Tony Parsons had sex with someone else. Then she walked out on Cosmo Landesman because she was having sex with someone else. At each and every point she was right, according to herself.

It takes some heroic twists of logic to follow her career without concluding she's a bit of a hypocrite.

It's also worth remembering that nothing she wrote about Peel hadn't already been publicly aired in contrition by Peel himself. I think that's why people are inclined to forgive him, not some socio-political agenda.

Angelhorns
01-11-2004, 22:40:22
Yeah Myra Hindley was sorry too, its a good job sorry isnt the criteria for letting people out of jail.

Anyway this isnt about Julie Burchill, its about John Peel, and how he wasnt quite the saint and hero he is being portrayed as

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-11-2004, 22:46:54
Well at the start of this thread you said that he seemed like a nice bloke, and it's just a reflection of the fact that a huge number of people felt the same way.

Angelhorns
02-11-2004, 01:38:32
yes he probably wasn't an emissary of the devil, nobody is only one facet, I just posted the burchill thing for an alternative view(as i stated). However I would expect the mature reaction to the things he supposedly did to be one of disapproval, not 'never mind, its only John Peel, and he was so funny on Home Truths!' which smacks of teenage hero worship. This is exactly why Burchill's essay rings true.

Lazarus and the Gimp
02-11-2004, 06:50:31
Or it would, at least, if anyone here had actually said that. I think you'd be challenged to find anyone thinking that having sex with 13-year olds is acceptable, and that goes for Peel too.

After all, Burchill's quote indicates that Peel had no idea that the girl in question was underage. He also had has first marriage annulled when he discovered she was 15.

fp
02-11-2004, 18:14:38
He married someone without knowing how old they were?

Angelhorns
02-11-2004, 22:08:22
we arent going to agree on this.

King_Ghidra
23-08-2005, 12:35:16
http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1554725,00.html

A year after the untimely death of John Peel, the legendary DJ is to be commemorated in true rock 'n' roll style with a day of gigs across the UK.
John Peel Day will be held on October 13 and is the brainchild of Peel's colleagues at BBC Radio 1, in consultation with his wife Sheila Ravenscroft, who wanted to find an appropriate way of celebrating his life and 40-year contribution to music and broadcasting.

Gramercy Riffs
23-08-2005, 12:39:13
Good stuff, just hope they bear him in mind when it comes to choosing whose playing.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
23-08-2005, 14:08:53

She should pick on people her own size.

A water buffalo, pregnant with twins, say....

King_Ghidra
13-10-2005, 12:38:28
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/johnpeel/story/0,15271,1591022,00.html

interesting read for peel fans

novacane
14-10-2005, 11:00:24
He really does warm my heart. Liked the bit about Everton and Arsenal fans.....

novacane
25-10-2005, 13:09:48
1 year ago today. Think it was about this time that I read it at work. And about 30 seconds later I went out for a fag to think about it.

It. :rolleyes:

There'll never be another.

The Norks
26-10-2005, 18:18:01
Originally posted by Fergus & The Brazen Car
She should pick on people her own size.

A water buffalo, pregnant with twins, say....

or John Peel

King_Ghidra
27-10-2005, 08:28:15
i imagine he's losing weight rapidly

novacane
27-10-2005, 09:17:01
:gasmaske:

Fergus & The Brazen Car
28-10-2005, 08:53:18
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
i imagine he's losing weight rapidly

And he still don't reek as badly as Blyurch-Ill...