PDA

View Full Version : Recent Purchases Mini Reviews Thread

Funkodrom
26-10-2004, 11:47:29
Velvet Revolver - Contraband

I'm sure anyone who has any interest in this already owns it... anyway. Velvet Revolver are the musicians from G'n'R with the singer from Stone Temple Pilots. I was previously slightly underwhelmed/disappointed with the couple of listens I had of the singles they released but the album is a whole lot better. In general I'd say it was more Stone Temple Pilots in influence than G'n'R. It rocks, and I like it. Can't see it ever being anyone's all time favourite album though.

Dizzee Rascal - Showcase

Boy in Da Corner was my favourite album of 2003 (The Mars Volta ran it close for a while...) and this sequel is even better. The kid's a genius. Ostensibly it's a blend of uk garage and uk hip-hop but it's so much more intelligent than that both musically and lyrically. Great stuff.

The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free

The first Streets album was another one that I really liked. The music wasn't always great in places but the lyrics and flow of the songs were. This time the backing tracks are good and the lyrics are even better. It's a concept album in that the entire album is a story, and it works better than you would expect really.

Funkodrom
26-10-2004, 11:48:18
Now add yours. :D

Debaser
26-10-2004, 12:03:45
Le Tigra - This Island

Crazy feminist electro-pop from ex-riot grrrl Kathleen Hana and friends, this album is much more unashamedly pop than their last album, but still unlikely to trouble the charts. Ranging in styles from Candy Pop era Bis to Push It era Salt & Pepper this album is a fun uptempo party album, but unlikely ever to change the world.

Super Furry Animals - Songbook Vol 1

The Super Furries have been around for years and I've never really paid too much attention. Perhaps it was because they're Welsh, perhaps it's because they can sometimes come across as a bit smug and in-jokey. Anyway, it's my loss because this Greatest Hits collection is fucking superb. The tracks on this collection span about 12 years I think (GR correct me if I'm wrong...) but it would be impossible to guess which were older and which were newer. They're all different but never lose that slightly warped, slightly eccentric Super Furryness that makes them so good. The only band I can think of to liken them to would be the Pixies, not because they sound like them, but because they're clever and their songs have a certain depth to them, and because while they essentially write generic indie/rock songs, they prove that there's no need to lapse into a tired parody of yourself like so many bands do this long into their career (manics anyone?).

AK
26-10-2004, 12:39:51
Haven't bought anything for ages. Might try and pick up the new Megadeth CD though (pay day Thursday! yippee!! Woo-hoo! etc.)

Debaser
26-10-2004, 12:48:10
AK??? What are you doing here???

Funkodrom
26-10-2004, 12:52:16
Yeah! What a surprise! :beer:

I'd better check and see where I've been slagging him off...

Nills Lagerbaak
26-10-2004, 13:22:19
Mumrah - Hazzah......

Absolutely blinding. Makes up for the fact when we got to the full moon on saturday having joked that we'd probably turn up to their last song, all we saw of them was "Thank you very much Bristol, we were Mumrah....good night!"

Funkodrom
26-10-2004, 13:23:12
:lol:

Really? How did you miss them?

King_Ghidra
26-10-2004, 13:45:42
I can't believe AK is pitching himself as the thinking woman's totty. I was just thinking the other day that i needed a tag line to 'sell myself' to the female market. I was going to go with 'The Thinking Woman's bit of rough'

zmama
26-10-2004, 13:49:38
You're a bit too gay for that ;)

Nills Lagerbaak
26-10-2004, 14:10:37
Originally posted by Funkodrom
:lol:

Really? How did you miss them?

Well the whole damn thing started at 5 o'clock. There was no way we were going to get there then, turns out they were on at 7 or thereabouts. Don't know why they were on the bill so early, they were the best band that night (from the 2-3 mins. that we saw) :cry:

Funkodrom
26-10-2004, 14:17:46
Nightmare. Why couldn't you get there at 5?

Nills Lagerbaak
26-10-2004, 14:22:21
I could have, but I had to go to Danny's house first, and by the time they were all ready....

I guess as they were on tour, timings get a little fooked up

Funkodrom
26-10-2004, 14:25:58
Damn, and after going all that way!

Nills Lagerbaak
26-10-2004, 14:38:45
I know! The other bands (no comply and vanilla pod) were really good and there was an incident involving a foxy goth chick.....

Funkodrom
26-10-2004, 14:49:05
Oh really? :hmm:

King_Ghidra
28-10-2004, 10:25:45
The Parkinsons - Reason to Resist

It would take a hell of a follow-up to top The Parkinson's explosive debut EP, Long way to Nowhere, released some three years ago. Full of energetic, sleazy punk rock 'n' roll, the EP was a faithful translation of the disgraceful majesty of their live performances on the club and festival circuit. So three years on, and following a record-breaking three-month tour of japan, where are The Parkinsons now?

Well, in a pretty familiar place.

At its best, Reason to Resist does it just as well as its predecessor. The opening tracks No Choice and A Night On The Council Estate pick up where Long Road to Nowhere left off - 3 minute jump-yourself-silly rock 'n' roll. Indeed it is this kind of thing that makes up 90% of the album, and a bloody good thing too, because The Parkinsons trademark is a kind of sleazy feel-good party rock that is fairly unique.

The standout track must be Mr Happy Man, which adds a new melodic quality to the punk mayhem. Saxophones normally spell disaster in this kind of music, so it is with some relief i can say that here it is blended perfectly.

The surprise of the album is the final track, Needs of Flesh, which is a far departure from anything the band have attempted before. A slow-starting, tortured five-minuter, it seems to break all the rules of what The Parkinsons have set out to do, but ultimately it provides a chaotic finale that reminds you who you're really listening to.

Something about the nature of rock n roll will always make the briefer and jammed-to-the-walls mayhem of Long Road To Nowhere the superior record, but Reason to Resist provides a welcome extra dose of The Parkinsons brand of music, and a tantalising glimpse of things to come.

Debaser
28-10-2004, 11:20:40
KG, has your YeahYeahYeahs DVD arrived yet? Does it only play in black & white?

King_Ghidra
28-10-2004, 11:37:01
no, doesn't arrive til next week

are you playing it through your ps2?

Debaser
28-10-2004, 11:51:38
Yeah, is that the problem then? I'll try it on the player downstairs...

King_Ghidra
28-10-2004, 12:02:52
just thought it might be a factor, no guarantee :D

Scabrous Birdseed
28-10-2004, 12:12:42
I'm considering buying the new Detroit Cobras album based on what I heard at the music group meeting yesterday.

King_Ghidra
28-10-2004, 12:16:19
ooh a new detroit cobras album!

Baby eh, i'll add it to my amazon list i think

Debaser
28-10-2004, 12:43:24
Ooh, I'll be getting that too. Mink, Rat & Rabbit & Love, Life & Leaving are both fucking great records, though I didn't think too much of that 7 Easy Pieces ep they put out in 2003.

King_Ghidra
28-10-2004, 12:45:56
no that wasn't up to their usual standards

although 'my baby loves a secret agent' or whatever was a good track

so did the dvd work on a proper player?

Debaser
28-10-2004, 13:34:13
Yup, works fine.

King_Ghidra
28-10-2004, 13:59:04
cool. i just know sometimes i get some funny behaviour from my ps2 when playing dvds. It took a dislike to my history of soccer dvds and brilliantly refused to play the last five minutes of Blair witch project after i'd sat though the entire rest of the film.

Funkodrom
28-10-2004, 14:00:13
Well done for getting that far.

fp
28-10-2004, 17:55:34
The last five minutes is the only bit worth watching.

Resource Consumer
28-10-2004, 18:15:46
Kasabian - Kasabian

I bet you will all laugh at me now. I am not the most clued in or hippest poster here but I found this lot whilst surfing across Amazon and I expect others have heard them before me. I was making an order and there was enough there to grab my interest. Anyway, package delivered to work, took it home and...........fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Love it, love it. love it. I have not stopped playing this for 2 weeks or so now. I know that comparisons are frowned upon by some in these forums so I will do so. :) They vary between Happy Mondays on a good day ("Processed Beats", "LSF") through Blur "Reason is Treason" to Oasis with balls ("Club Foot"). Well, OK, you can say that if they start to sound like a combination of other bands that does not make them original but it sure makes them a treat for the ears as they have their own mix between dance, drive and singalong yobbishness. Big future for these boys

Funkodrom
29-10-2004, 07:50:30
Originally posted by fp
The last five minutes is the only bit worth watching.

You don't really get to see that annoying bitch get torn apart though do you? Total let down.