PDA

View Full Version : HL2 next month - for real this time

No longer Trippin
24-10-2004, 05:21:35
Both Valve and Vivendi have finally reached agreement and the game has gone gold. Only a year late because they didn't want to admit to ATi they only had an alpha, but it looks like it'll be good. Can't be worse then Doom 3, that is for sure.

Shining1
24-10-2004, 23:45:21
Vivendi can go fuck themselves.

Chris
25-10-2004, 01:59:30
Don't hold back Ned, how do you REALLY feel?

Shining1
25-10-2004, 03:05:38
Heh.

The vivendi debt issue seems to have cost Blizzard it's core staff, including Bill Roper. Apparently they've headed off to set up a new company.

And the central issue with Vivendi and Valve seems to be the STEAM delivery system for content. Vivendi don't exactly love the idea of people buying games online downloaded directly from the developers.

Trip seems incredibly upset still about Valve 'lying' to people about the state of their game and it's due date. Call me cynical, but I rather suspect that Vivendi management and a determination to enforce an agreed shipping date contributed to that situation in no small way.

The only things I want from Valve and Blizzard are great games. I don't want half baked, poorly implimented visions of genius shoved out the door at a pre-determined time to satisfy some insane marketing department's projections of seasonal influence on sales.

The STEAM situation seems to amount to pure panic on Vivendi's part. I guess online content delivery could devastate game publishers faster and more totally than anything that's been happening in the music industry.

Couldn't happen to a nicer company:D.

No longer Trippin
25-10-2004, 05:06:52
Vavle had four to five years since HL1, plenty of time for a new engine, can't fault Vinvendi there. I don't agree with how Vivendi is handling the Steam issue and truly do think they can go fuck themselves - I think all game publishing companies should when it comes down to it.

Shining1
25-10-2004, 08:03:02
You can fault them if it's not done, for whatever reason. The quality of the release is the only thing that matters.

Not sure about all of that 4-5 years, but I suspect they lost a bit of time trying to make Team Fortress 2, and like some of us they probably lost another year or so of their lives playing Counter Strike. =)

After making the original Half-Life, they probably deserved it, too. =)

Darkstar
05-11-2004, 20:15:49
Vivivendi has successfully sued Valve so that it will have to keep making games for them. if that's not stupidity! I bet that next game (running under a special label) will be bugger then CTP1 when pressed to plastic!

Shining1
05-11-2004, 21:42:14
Link? Info?

That's fucking hilarious! =)

Darkstar
05-11-2004, 22:54:05
I've got a couple of articles from News.Com and Gamespot about it saved off on this machine. I could see if those articles are still alive at their source.

When Viv started giving Valve shit about their plans for using Steam to distribute HL2 (and cutting Viv off from revenues), they eventually went to court. Part of that was because Valve wanted to terminate their contract with Viv so that none of their future games had to go through Viv. The courts said, no way, Valve. So Valve is still stuck with "primarily distributing" their next 5 to however many games Vivendi want to claim dibs on.

Let me dig out the lawsuit "settlement notices" articles...

Update: I've found the News.Com articles. They are just about the big fight (no mention of the contract maintenence/exit bits though). So that must have been GamaSutra that included the news that Vivindi was sueing to keep and own all first rights to Valve work, as their contract states. Haven't updated this DB with the recent GamaSutra plucked items.

Darkstar
05-11-2004, 23:13:28
Ah. Here is mention of the "you got to keep working with us"...

Copied without permission from GameSpot

To print: Select File and then Print from your browser's menu
-------------------------------------------------------------
This story was printed from GameSpot.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Valve vs. Vivendi Universal dogfight heats up in US District Court
By Curt Feldman, GameSpot
09/20/04 06:14 AM
URL: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/20/news_6107712.html
Last week, news of Valve finally shipping the Half-Life 2 release candidate to publisher Vivendi Universal Games (VUG) grabbed headlines. However, behind the scenes, the two companies have been involved in a much less upbeat kind of transaction--an ongoing legal battle that has garnered little attention from gamers.

On August 14, 2002, Valve served its then-publisher Sierra On-Line (now Sierra Entertainment, a Vivendi Universal Games brand) with a lawsuit in US District Court of Washington, Western Division, alleging copyright infringement--the result of Sierra placing Valve games in Internet cafes in the US and abroad. "Sierra has in the past and continues to reproduce, use, distribute, and/or license one or more of the Valve Games with regard to 'cyber cafes,'" the complaint read. "Sierra's activities are outside the scope of Sierra's limited license...and therefore constitute copyright infringement in violation of the Copyright Act of 1976."

And so it began.

(Blah blah blah - Snip)

Interestingly, and in spite of the ongoing legal dispute, Sierra/VUG still wants to work with Valve in the future and is asking the court via filings to force Valve to work with it on whatever is next in the development pipeline. It asks the court, in filings, "for a declaration that Sierra and VUG have the right to a fourth engine license pursuant to the terms of...the 2001 Agreement."

According to Lombardi, "We're going to meet the obligations of our current agreement."

(More article.. snipped)

Darkstar
05-11-2004, 23:13:53
As I said, I don't have the GamaSutra piece here, but it gives some detail on Valve's contract terms that it is trying to get out of. Those terms amount to Vivendi get exclusive first publishing rights and exclusive main distribution rights to anything they want that Valve does until their partnership is over. And Vivendi says that it ain't over, so Valve needs to stop being a bitch, shut down sales over Steam, and honor their contract terms. And get making more blockbuster games, chop chop.

Deacon
06-11-2004, 00:10:47
It sounds like Valve signed the A-Rod deal, and now they want off of the Texas Rangers. Five games is a long time.

Shining1
06-11-2004, 01:38:09
Depends how you define games? =)

Can we expect counterstrike versions of Bejeweled and Bookworm to be released for Christmas...

Chris
06-11-2004, 15:06:19
I don't think so, they haven't even talked about a beta test for it yet.

Shining1
07-11-2004, 12:38:41
This is valve. By 'Christmas' I mean April 2006...

No longer Trippin
07-11-2004, 18:44:34
I'm upset how Valve lied when it knew it couldn't make the date and Gabe knew it. He got a ton of people to buy graphics cards to run the game optimally that now won't and he benefitted fromt hat thanks to his ATi deal (of which he then further screwed people over who preordered the card, or game for that matter) as they just got a voucher. Yeah, 5% performance increase for 100 more and a voucher. Not exactly great. That is where my beef with Gabe stands. I'm sure the game will be great and I'll buy it to support the developers, just I wish a portion didn't go to gabe, but still, looks to be a good game, just I hate the person running the company. But good game by bad person is better than bad game by bad person (Civ 3 anyone?).

No longer Trippin
07-11-2004, 18:46:21
The date being tossed is teh 18th or 19th midnight (steam release and if any stores or open, them as well). It will be kicked on at midnight for each timezone from my understanding.

Shining1
08-11-2004, 00:00:49
Yeah that sucks. Hell, I'm not trying to say that Valve hasn't used up a lot of the goodwill they generated with the original Half-life with the various delays and non-truths the public their fans had to sit through.

At the same time, I'm excited by Gabe's battle with the publishers - the idea of being able to make a game and then sell it online without any middleman pillaging the rewards is just too good. He's just an aggressive businessman all round, if at least some good can come of that, then that might generate some balance for the other stuff.

I didn't actually play Civ3...

No longer Trippin
08-11-2004, 02:36:45
What about 2 then? :)

Darkstar
08-11-2004, 21:49:43
You mean, like Star Dock does? That is how they do things... online sales, subscriptions, and distribution. Their using a retailer to sale GalCiv was very unique for them.

Come to think of it, the Uplink shop is publishing in that fashion as well. They got seriously screwed by their publisher over their retail sales of Uplink.

The old ways of retailers isn't going away. EA is practically the center of the universe in game making. The hardware makers of the consoles own everything and get final say on anything that gets near their machines. But online sales is becoming more and more mainstream. And that's got to be a good thing for us game players, right? ;)