PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Handsets

Gary
12-10-2004, 11:01:09
I think my handset “gave up the ghost” on the last day of my hols. I took it out of the bag, and the key cover was half slid down. I tried to slide it back up over the keys, but it would hardly budge. Down, the same. Then the handset claimed to be on ‘low battery’ and started getting hot. I figured a short somewhere, tried to remove the battery, but the position of the slider made it so awkward that it took at least a minute trying to lever it out with a spoon handle !

It might be repairable, but … :(

So… did I imagine it or was there an announcement some time in the past for vastly improved camera facility in the mobile phones ? I think I may have recalled incorrectly as when I did a Net search for a 4 megapixel camera mobile handset, the best that came up was 1.3 M. Not that I really thought I could afford the latest tech anyway, but has anyone got any info on the state of play of mobile handset cameras ?

Failing that, the handset is for calls (well text really ever since I got Broadband and consequently a fixed line at home) rather than photos. Anyone got any good recommendations ? I’m used to Nokia, even though it has some pain-in-the-arse menu options and daft unexpected questions at times. I’ve kept with them due to believing that they all are badly designed menu-wise, but Nokia is better than most. But I would consider changing brand if convinced it was worth it.

Or even is there any good sites that can make decent suggestions based on sensible questions. Such as how many text messages do you want to store before the handset starts moaning about lack of space. (About a month’s worth would be nice.) And good stuff like that.

Resource Consumer
12-10-2004, 11:40:09
I am not so sure you can get such a big pixel count on a phone and the one you have found may be the best you will find.

Well, it all depends on what you are looking for - I think us conservative and aging types (I mean me, not you) tend to go for the familiarity of Nokia (mine - 7250). I don't think Ericsson are doing anything too sexy these days. If course, you could be radical and get a Samsung which seems to have an infinite selection of highly irritating ringtones but has a very confusing menu and text system (IMHO).

Gary
12-10-2004, 11:56:20
The broken one is a 8910 which wasn't too bad once one got used to the small keys, and how to hit them with bigger fingers.

Irritating ringtones and confusing menus seem the reverse of what I'm looking for, to be honest. Must have imagined the large pixel size then. 1M3 isn't enough to warrant getting the inclusive camera at all. So bog standard with large capacity it is then.

*End Is Forever*
12-10-2004, 12:16:37
I just got a 6230 which is lovely. The only annoying thing is how you have to dismantle the thing to put the MMC card in and out.

*End Is Forever*
12-10-2004, 12:17:30
That said, it can take a 1 gigabyte MMC card.

MattHiggs
12-10-2004, 12:26:29
At the moment I have a Sharp GX15, it's like the GX30 but not a flip phone.

Really nice, can store up to 200 texts and has 2mb of memory for contacts - which I can hardly even make a dent on. The camera is good quality, with 4X digital zoom and also a video option.

It's a cheap, reliable handset with good features.

*End Is Forever*
15-10-2004, 00:36:07
So what did you buy...?

Gary
25-10-2004, 08:29:27
Err... haven't yet. Been too busy, but I did look up all the suggestions given here, on the Net.

Got to buy soon (which is why I revisited the thread, to remind me) as the reserve 6310i, which the 8910 replaced, is bugging me. One can only put up with ignored keypresses while texting, for so long, especially if you type looking at the keys rather than the screen.

And anyway, had major problems calling & texting yestrerday, but that may have been the O2 network.

What one needs is a site that allows one to compare any handset with any handset :D

Gary
25-10-2004, 09:05:43
Mmm not a comparision site, but enough to make one think they all have problems :D

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/nokia-8910i.htm
http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/nokia-6230.htm
http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/sharp-gx15.htm
http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/sharp-gx30.htm

PS these prices are horrendous. Am I going about this the wrong way ? Appreciate electronics don't usually come cheap, but these things only last a couple of years IME. I paid hundreds for the 8910 last time, and thought it'd last me many times the period it did before needing to be replaced. I was looking at it as an extravagance, not a standard price.

What did you guys pay ?

MattHiggs
26-10-2004, 10:27:42
I got mine on an upgrade for free. Don't think it's too expensive though, you can get it on EBay for about £100.

Gary
26-10-2004, 10:51:51
Thanks for the response. Mmm Ebay, yeah, got the 8910 from there. Never did get the IR working but hardly important now :) Mind you I can see the attraction of a free upgrade :D Just that I dislike DD with an intensity, on principle, so went the SIM only route rather than the contract route.

I’ll take a look at the auctions later today, it’s getting urgent, the 6310i is now taking 3 attempts to send text (?!?) and has switched itself off a few times for no apparent reason.

King_Ghidra
26-10-2004, 11:40:13
Reviewed by Gary from UK on 25th Oct 2004
Not so much a review (since I'm considering purchase at this point, but a comment to Darko from Croatia. Your phone will be a Vodafone customized phone because Vodafone is likely to have subsidised the cost of it for you. I think that is still the case anyway. It certainly used to be. Unsure of the legal position in different countries, but it isn't difficult to find someone who will unlock the phone for a price for use on any network, but unless you've used the phone for a reasonable Time on Vodafone, then you've robbed them of them of any subsidy they paid. Do check that next time you get a handset.

what a helpful chap you are :D

unlike this guy:

Reviewed by cotter from ireland on 25th Oct 2004
What is wrong with these people,!!THE KEYPAD IS TO LOW.U HAVE TO CLICK 4 TIMES TO DELETE SOMETHING.IT TAKES 1 SEC 4 THE SCREEN TO COME ON PLEASE!!U LAZY LAZY PEOPLE IF U WANT A PHONE THAT DOES EVERYTHING 4 U !!!INVENT 1.This phone is great."only thing is the blue thooth the fone is not compataible with it but really who cares u buy the fone to use it and a fone of this stature needs to b seen most people would like to have it so if u diss this fone u are mad.great camera mp3 cool light flash(does disco)all and all this fone "kicks ass" no fone at the moment with features and style compares.i cant prase it enough.buy it if u want an all round great fone packed full of goodies.

or this one...

Reviewed by Mc scat from england on 20th Oct 2004
if ur readin thses reviews den u probabli avent got the fone yet but r waiting 2. du not get it the blurtooth does not transfer mp3s or ani form of data and u wud probabli it doesnt matter coz u can transfer it by infared but tht doesnt work either!!so ur burgered get the SONY ERRICSON K700i insted much betta fone even though the camera aint quite as gud as the GX30 it stil beats the fone by miles. BOTTOM LINE IS - DU NOT GET IT GET THE SONY ERICCSON K700I

King_Ghidra
26-10-2004, 11:42:02
incidentally i have a gx-20 (basically the same as the gx-30) and love it

great camera (see the many pictures i posted on CG)

cost me c.£100 as un upgrade 10 months ago

Gary
26-10-2004, 12:36:34
Now who said that was me :D In fact I’d added at least 2 comments on different phones, not even bothered to check if they’d been posted.

Uh yeah. Looking at gx30s on ebay at the moment, but :( :( :( the next one due, I see has reached the bid I was going to try between going off for lunch and returning.

Gary
26-10-2004, 19:02:42
Well that a GX30 won on e-bay. Lost two others earlier today, but this came in at £185 + p&p so not such a sad thing.

Fingers crossed the deal goes ok. Not had a 100% run with e-bay, and associated companies, in the recent past.

Gee not a Nokia, how will I cope ?

Resource Consumer
26-10-2004, 21:11:26
Those comments (other than Gary's) remind me so much of the comments on the EA Sims2 site. :)