PDA

View Full Version : Counter-Strike Source

King_Ghidra
09-10-2004, 10:35:31
I meant tyo post this a while back, because i wa playing the CS:S beta for a couple of weeks now. Anyway, CS:S is now officially out and i am playing it and i thought i'd write a little thing about it.

I bought and downloaded it via Steam, and i have to say as a latecomer to steam i am very impressed. Very easy, nice and quick and totally painless.

First and foremost i guess this is the first glimpse of the engine that we will all be playing in Half-Life 2 and i have to say it is pretty damn sweet. The 'realistic' physics, with ragdoll animation, barrels that roll and have momentum mand all that jazz is very very sexy. Other effects, such as wood splintering under fire, dust from walls when hit, spray from water, etc. are all very very cool.

The new models are well done and a definite improvement. The detail on the models is not that amazing, but get a look at the faces on the hostages and it will blow your mind. It really brings home how far computer graphics have come. Very impressive.

Some of the effects have been brilliantly reworked, such as the flashbang, which no longer just makes the screen go white, but sends your sounds off and replaces them with a 'ringing in the ear' effect as well as leaving a great 'after-image' effect when it wears off.

Even little things, like shadows giving away an opponent's position, have helped to strengthen the overall gameplay, and take CS:S to that next level.

The basic gameplay is pure counter-strike unchanged and quite rightly so. This is effectively the same old counter strike with a new bit of slap and it is fucking gorgeous and an absolute pleasure to play.

God i hope this makes some sense, i am so hungover.

MattHiggs
09-10-2004, 11:08:13
ARGH, not played CS in years. I'd love to play an updated version!

King_Ghidra
09-10-2004, 11:36:03
i'm going to try and post some screenshots

especially the ones showing how muthafuckin 1337 i am

King_Ghidra
09-10-2004, 11:51:42
Can anyone see these?

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/philip.gunns@btopenworld.com/album?.dir=8e60

Beta1
09-10-2004, 16:02:35
yep, you clearly are muthafuckin 1337.

And it look good too, do you think it will be still full of 14 year olds with downloaded hacks who TyPe LiKe ThIs?

Shining1
09-10-2004, 22:26:34
No, some of them will now be 19 year olds with downloaded hacks \/\/|-|0 7@l|< L13|< +|-|1$...

Beta1
10-10-2004, 10:41:09
w00t

Asher
11-10-2004, 04:10:08
It doesn't look much better.

No longer Trippin
11-10-2004, 04:21:29
That's because it is D7 cored heavily with some light shader usage IIRC. Looking at benches btw CS:S and HL2, CS:S is a LOT less demanding on hardware than HL2. Little to no usage of shaders plays a huge role in this along with lower poly counts. It is an upgrade to CS (and you can destroy Dell's :) ), but it really is just a stripped down HL2 engine if that much. That's why there isn't that much of a graphics improvement, especially if you look at HL2 screens.

King_Ghidra
11-10-2004, 08:22:31
maybe those tiny shots don't do it justice. Some of the levels are drop dead gorgeous imho.