PDA

View Full Version : .ISO Files

Nills Lagerbaak
07-10-2004, 09:48:03
Hello! ?What are these and what do they do. The interweb mearly informs me that they are "CD images" what does this mean and how do you use them?

Thanks

Nills Lagerbaak
07-10-2004, 10:05:01
OK interesting, as I can tell .IOS's are simply binary copies of anyrthing on a CD (whatever operating system, format etc). Does that mean you can copy playstation/xbox games or anytrhing else that uses Cd drives? Surely all you need to do is download the binary copy and burn it onto another CD - without worrying if your PC can/can't read it??

Not that I am intrerested in copying games of course....

protein
07-10-2004, 10:08:25
Yes. I think playstation 2 games have some sort of encoded protection. Oh, and they are on DVD. pc games should be okay though.

Nills Lagerbaak
07-10-2004, 11:00:57
Yeah, but if you're just taking a binary copy surely the encoded protection is there in the image too?

protein
07-10-2004, 11:15:56
Not sure. I know that Playstation 1 games were made of a specific material to make sure you couldn't pirate. Possibly PS2 games have encoding on the disk separate to the data.

Nills Lagerbaak
07-10-2004, 11:19:59
Disk image is literally a binary copy of the CD, absolutely everything on the CD, each zero and one mapped exactly....I could go on.

Maybe the encryption can recognise hat it's being replicated and some how change itself, I don't know.

Deacon
07-10-2004, 20:39:59
Anti-copy schemes more or less break the CD format by using bit patterns designed to inhibit imaging and/or burning. I don't know much about the CD format, but the data isn't quite random access in nature, since it's written in a spiral. The average reader isn't capable of jumping over the bad bits without advance knowledge of where they are.

The copy software on the disc has to be running to enable the data to be read. The OS handles the details of reading discs, so the required change to the procedure would be intrusive and possibly buggy. I've seen copy-protected discs that it took a few tries to make work.

Sir Penguin
08-10-2004, 00:37:55
You can burn copies of PS2 and X-Box games. You just need to tell the burning program to simulate whatever anti-piracy measures were implemented.

PC games are easier, of course. You just need to install Daemon Tools, which you can use to mount .iso images (or cue/bin images, or other images) as if you had burned them onto a physical CD and inserted them into the CD drive. Most pirated games come with a no-CD crack so that you don't need to have an original CD in the drive.

SP