PDA

View Full Version : Firefox - Extensions

Funkodrom
05-10-2004, 09:58:57
Right, I've just installed Firefox to try and use it instead of Opera, just for a trial period. I've installed Single Window (allows tabbed browsing like Opera which I couldn't do without now I'm used to it) and Adblocker so far. Any other extensions I should get to make life easier?

Funkodrom
05-10-2004, 09:59:34
Oh and it is blisteringly fast. Even more so than Opera which in turn shits on IE.

Asher
05-10-2004, 14:52:39
Single Window is supported natively in the latest builds (it can be configured in options), and will be part of 1.0RC at the end of September. yay!

Adblock and Single Window are popular, as is Sage (RSS aggregator), CuteMenus (adds icon to context menus and toolbar menus), and Duplicate Tab (right click on a tab to create a new tab with the same content).

Also, make use of the google searchbar thing: click on the G logo, and click Add Engines to add a bunch of cool things (dictionary.com, thesaurus.com, Wiki, etc).

Also, make use of Live Bookmarks. When a site (like BBC) has the "RSS" icon in the bottom right, click it to add a Live Bookmark.

Also, Smart Keywords are your friend. At any form on a webpage (you can test it on Google), right click on the text field and click "Add keyword to this search". Enter a descriptive name (like Google), and a keyword (like goo). Then if you type in "goo blahblah" in the address bar, it'll run a google search for 'blahblah'. I use this for things like Bugzilla, so I type in "bug 49213" and it'll load up bug #49213 for me.

Deacon
05-10-2004, 18:15:39
I use SessionSaver. It remembers the tabs in the last window closed. In the event of a crash, it restores all windows and tabs.

LoD
05-10-2004, 21:36:23
All In One Gestures are my long time favorite.

Funkodrom
06-10-2004, 09:16:04
Originally posted by Deacon
I use SessionSaver. It remembers the tabs in the last window closed. In the event of a crash, it restores all windows and tabs.

Brilliant! That's the one missing feature from Opera that I really liked.