PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Ep 4-6 DVDs

Funkodrom
28-09-2004, 10:36:02
Got my DVDs last monday, when they came out, but with the move I didn't get round to watching any of them 'till yesterday.

I watched about 2 hours of stuff on the bonus disk so far. I can reveal the following:

George Lucas is a genius
George Lucas is a visionary
George Lucas is a genius...

OK, aside from a slightly over the top kissing of George Lucas butt it's a really interesting set of bonus DVD features so far. Especially the bits where a lot of the cast and crew were saying that before the film came out they thought it was all a total pile of crap and didn't really know what the hell they were supposed to be doing.

I also understand why he did the special editions now, although I haven't got to the bit where he talks about that (assuming he does) in "The story of Star Wars" I'm only up to the start of the bit about Empire Strikes Back.

Scabrous Birdseed
28-09-2004, 10:38:38
Traitor. Han Shot First!

Funkodrom
28-09-2004, 10:50:28
Yeah, people really do take it too seriously don't they. :lol:

Actually one of the best things about the documentary bits I've seen is the way they are cut with the clips of the movies (even episode 1 and 2). It really keeps up that fast paced feeling of Star Wars fun. It's a pretty good piece of pro-Lucas propaganda. ;)

I haven't actually watched any of the films yet to see if they've changed from the special editions.

Debaser
28-09-2004, 11:01:28
They have. Quite a lot apparently. Return of the Jedi has a slightly different ending for example. Also lots of different species from the new starwars films have been CGi'd into the background of certain shots, and stuff like that. And Hayden Christian makes an appearance...

Funkodrom
28-09-2004, 11:02:35
Ah yes, I remember now. I knew they'd changed but not how much or what exactly.

Venom
28-09-2004, 14:22:51
ACtually Han doesn't shoot first anymore. They shoot at the same time. But that Empire of Dreams documentary is fucking gold. Great stuff.

Funkodrom
28-09-2004, 14:38:36
In the original Han shot before Greedo could get a shot off, in the special edition Greedo shot first. So now they both shoot at the same time?

Venom
28-09-2004, 14:51:34
Don't be telling me that shit like I don't already know!

In any case, you are correct, they shoot at the same time now.

Funkodrom
28-09-2004, 16:19:24
I was more expressing my incredulity that he'd changed that detail twice.

Venom
28-09-2004, 16:43:48
In the next version Chewbacca caps them both. But Han lives thanks to his laser proof Ewok vest.

fp
03-10-2004, 09:47:43
I'm not the biggest fan of all the tweaking Lucas has done to the movies since their theatrical release, but I'm loving these DVD's.

Haven't seen any of the special features yet, but the movies themselves look absolutely astonishing. The pictures are so clear and crisp on DVD - improved more than any other older movie I've seen on DVD. It almost looks like they've been lit differently. I was blown away.

Sir Penguin
03-10-2004, 19:20:18
Yeah, the cosmetic effects improvements are awesome, even in just the stills I've seen.

SP

Darkstar
05-11-2004, 22:00:04
They have been lit differently. I saw a piece on it... they did a complete digital restoration on it, to get out all the dirt, and clean up the FX mistakes, retouched the color and lighting, etc etc etc.

Its a serious remix, effectively. Made to look good on big, crisp digital screens running HD or better resolution. The resolution for the DVD is seriously higher then the resolution for the big screen. Fun fun...

Sir Penguin
06-11-2004, 01:38:58
There are three articles comparing the differences between the original, Special Edition, and DVD edition versions at www.dvdanswers.com.

SP

Shining1
06-11-2004, 05:36:33
Okay, so the general prognosis is that he didn't fuck with it TOO much and it's still the original amazing stuff we all love?

Sir Penguin
06-11-2004, 07:05:54
Most of it, except Greedo shooting first and that twat who plays Anakin being alongside Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi at the end of RotJ.

Also, the lightsabres sometimes look worse in the DVD version than in the other two.

SP

Shining1
13-11-2004, 00:25:15
George Lucas is a Terrorist.