PDA

View Full Version : LWP7 Part 4 track comments

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-09-2004, 15:50:39
Track 11. "Heartbreak Stroll" by The Raveonettes

The Raveonettes are a fabulously quirky duo of Rock'n'Rollers from Denmark. Taking a visual style somewhere between the Jesus and Mary Chain and The Cramps, they release albums adhering to eccentric musical dogma- such as insisting on having every song on an album being in the same key. This one's from their second album "Chain Gang of Love", which means it's in the key of B flat Major. Had it been in B flat Minor, it would have been on their first album. See how it works? Every album is stuffed full of short and spiky blasts like this one.

Track 13. "Into Dust" by Mazzy Star.

In my formative years, I longed to here a band that took only the most haunting and spectral elements of Country music and then welded it to subtle, dark-shaded psychedelia. Mazzy Star proved to be that band. Consisting of the magnificent David Roback on guitar, and the seductive yet near-comatose Hope Sandoval on vocals, they made three magnificently moody albums before Hope started shagging William Reid and they split. This is from their second album, and it gives a good sample of what they were like.

Track 14. "The River Rise" by Mark Lanegan.

I've recently raved about Lanegan's latest album "Bubblegum"- this one's from his second solo album "Whisky for the Holy Ghost" which is the other high point of his brilliant solo career. "Whisky..." is a quiter and more ornate album than "Bubblegum" and captures Lanegan at his most poetic and vulnerable moment. And that voice, that voice.....

Track 15. "18 dogs" by Hank Dogs.

Some may have heard this before as I stuck it on my first "Pollute your ears" compliation. Hank Dogs are a trio of Londoners produced by the legendary Joe Boyd who have just brought out a second album. This is from their debut, and it's one of my all-time favourite songs. I could never resist the combination of beautiful music coupled with disturbing lyrics, and those harmonies just about raise it to perfection.

Track 16. "Reynard the fox" by Julian Cope.

Author. Poet. Historian. Poet. Acid Casualty. That's Cope. He used to average sixteen tabs of acid a day, and now he's a highly respected authority on Megalithic history and Entomosophy. Some people get a couple of good ideas a year, but Cope's one of those bastards who just gets them flying off him simultaneously. Check this song as an example- from the "Fried" album released at the height of his 1984 madness, it's got Glam descends, huge chunky garage riffs, pseudo-mythological lyrics blending central European fables with the English Folk-song protest tradition, a semi-autobiographical account of onstage self-mutilation and it all ends up in an acid-fried rockabilly freakout. Brilliant. Incidentally, the gruesome tale towards the end is based on Cope's infamous Hammersmith concert where, tripping uncontrollably, he unwittingly ripped his belly open with a broken microphone stand causing the greatest outbreak of audience vomiting ever seen at a gig. He's a national treasure, and he still writes irresistable pop hooks.

Scabrous Birdseed
25-09-2004, 16:15:25
"Mazzy Star" eh? Will order.

Debaser
25-09-2004, 16:54:31
Sorry Laz, your songs aren't really "insipid toss". I was very drunk when I wrote those reviews...

Debaser
25-09-2004, 16:58:18
12: Time of the Season - The Zombies.

"What's your name? Who's your daddy? Is he rich like me?" - Best verse lyrics in any song ever.

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-09-2004, 18:10:50
That song's catchier than the clap. Thanks for putting it on.

BigGameHunter
02-10-2004, 04:11:29
I can't believe some of you think of this as you do. Scandalous. I give up on you. You are dead to me!

Track 10:
Built To Spill: "In Your Mind" from Ancient Melodies of the Future(2001)
Fronted by Doug Martsch (formerly of Treepeople), Built to Spill is
really a one man indie band with guest artists who sit in when touring or an album is being made. He covers the range from simple, three minute melodies to sprawling, Herculean longrock with a tinge of the best aspects of Pink Floyd (with a decidedly better musicianship) thrown in.
Martsch is reportedly intensely shy and shuns interviews, photos etc. to the extreme, saving everything he's got for his studio work. This has led to a reputation as a somewhat lousy live act, as was reported to me by a friend who saw him (them) recently in Portland.
But if you strap on some headphones and put any of his efforts in the ol' CD player, you will be richly rewarded. He produces a hard rocking guitar god sound that is not just a little bit angsty, curious and weird. The lyrics are quite good, if that's your bag--I know I strain to hear them because they have some neat insights.
It's not simple or easy listening...but I've found him to be really
talented and wide ranging--good traits in any artist.
Check out his several albums...each one is a little different.

In your mind Lyrics

the symptoms of our getting older
the problems that safety? dont mind
most of us never get over
memories mingled with lies
incidents gave a confession
that noones allowed to forget
i dont want to give the impression
that predestination is set
and distance will increase the danger
with certainties never enjoyed
the garden is equal yet stranger
ignored then embraced then destroyed
observing the process will change it
afterwords even if you
subcounscioussly rearrange it
it doesnt seem any less true
the remnants of fog disappearing
and even transecnding concern
disturbing but somehow endearing
conditioned to never unlearn
and noone can tell me to listen
and noone can tlel me whats right
cuz nobody has my permission
and noone can see in your mind
in your mind in your mind in your mind
the magnifications explore
there slowly emerges a pattern
and details you normally ignore
you notice really what matters
it isnt a time or a place
only an ebb and a flowing
a currently weakening space
occuring, connecting, and growing
and noone
and nooone
cuz nobody
and noone can see in your mind
in your mind in your mind in your mind

Ultimate Alternative Wavers, 1993
This is Built to Spill's first album, with Doug Martsh fresh out of the Treepeople. During the transition he drops much of his harsh style of sound and develops a style more like Neil Young meets Jane's Addiction. Members include Doug Martsch, Brett Netson, and Ralf.

There's Nothing Wrong With Love, 1994
This catchy, pop album brings the Boise band into mainstream radio play with singles like "Car", "In the Morning", and "Big Dipper," pulling in many new fans, and is hailed as one of their best records. Members include Doug Martsch, Andy Capps, and Brett Nelson.

Built to Spill & Caustic Resin, 1995
(Split with Caustic Resin)
This record is a collaboration between two wonderful bands. Members include Doug Martsh, Brett Nelson, James Dillion, and Tom Romich.

The Normal Years, 1996
Creating this record in its signature style, Built to Spill's fourth album launched them onto a major label. Members include Doug Martsch, Andy Capps, and Brett Nelson.

Perfect From Now On, 1997
With most songs around the six minute length and containing long guitar solos and rhythm refrains, Built to Spill's first major label release is reminiscent of 1970's acid rock albums, and a major departure from their norm. A very highly regarded album, "Perfect From Now On" sees the improvement of Doug Martsch's voice as well, with his ability to either drown himself out in his guitar or place a single phrase in the listener's head for days. Members include Doug Martsch, Scott Plouf, and Brett Nelson.

Keep It Like A Secret, 1999
Martsch cut the length of the songs significantly for this album. The ten minute tracks are gone. He opens up the door, walks around the room, and then exits, leaving you with a wanting for more while not overstaying any welcomes. His voice talent is even more improved, and have been described best as "sleepyhead dreamland." A personal favorite of mine, this record is always in one of my cd players. Members include Doug Martsch, Scott Plouf, and Brett Nelson.

Live, 2000
Even with a minimum of new tracks, "Live" is a Built to Spill masterpiece. Recorded in 1999, this album catches the band at a high point. With two songs counting in at twenty minutes, one of which is a gorgeous Neil Young cover, as well as containing the poppy single "Car", this album is appealing to every Built to Spill fan. Members include Doug Martsch, Scott Plouf, Brett Nelson and Jim Roth.

Ancient Melodies of the Future, 2001
Great Album. Get it. Now.Members include Doug Martsch, Scott Plouf, Brett Nelson and Jim Roth.

Also see Treepeople (Martsch's first group) and Caustic Resin, Halon Benders, et. al.

Lazarus and the Gimp
02-10-2004, 07:23:18
Excellent!

Now post your reviews.

BigGameHunter
03-10-2004, 08:19:00
Aye, aye, cap'n!
Done and done...sorry real life coincided with this much more important event...but...well...couldn't be helped!

Great LWP BTW...our follow through seems to be directly proportionate to the level of quality in the songs...fair trade off, really.