PDA

View Full Version : Strange question

protein
25-09-2004, 00:07:04
Does anyone here know abut the business of making games. I have a rather serious inquiry about producing music for a company called Grandiose Games. The game is a "FPS-type game that will incorporate multiple RPG elements, similar to Deus Ex but vastly expanded."

I don't even know what that means. I don't know what kind of fees are standard and since this could be a multi-platform game with a soundtrack CD I am pretty much shitting myself.

I've got onto someone about representing me but I really don't know what an FPS game is and I've never played Deus Ex.

fp
25-09-2004, 00:16:08
FPS = First Person Shooter

Games like Doom and Half-Life are FPS games. You play the game like you're looking through the eyes of the main character and you usually run around corridors shooting monsters in the face with your big weapon. (!!!)

Deus Ex is a classic game from a few years ago that virtually created a new genre by fusing many features of Role Playing Games with the FPS "run around and shoot things" gameplay style.

Deus Ex was a moody, atmospheric sci-fi game, if that helps you get any ideas about where you might want to take the music for this one, although from that vague description is difficult to predict what the developer wants.
Read this for more info about Deus Ex: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/deusex/review.html

Can't help you with the fees or anything like that, I'm afraid.

protein
25-09-2004, 00:17:33
Oh, and I want to keep this under wraps so if you have any useful info could you email me at protein at bleeding-ear dot co dot uk

Thanks guys. :)

fp
25-09-2004, 00:19:15
Also, I've never heard of Grandiose Games and Google turns up nothing, so they're obviously a pretty small outfit.

fp
25-09-2004, 00:19:59
My info was not at all useful so I didn't email it to you. ;)

protein
25-09-2004, 00:21:43
Yeah but they seem to know what they are talking about in terms of the publishing/business side of things. They are based in Houston, Texas apparently.

Sir Penguin
25-09-2004, 00:22:29
An FPS is a First-Person Shooter. Examples are Half-Life, Halo, Quake, Doom, and Unreal Tournament. Basically, it's a 3D game where you run around and shoot things. You don't see your character doing stuff, you just see a weapon and maybe a hand (hence the first-person part).

Deus Ex was a FPS with roll-playing elements tacked on. You had an inventory, skill points, and a way to augment certain special properties of your character's physiology. There were also dialogue trees, miniquests, and an actual story. The game encouraged you to use non-lethal tactics sometimes instead of just killing everything you see. You almost never see those elements in FPSes--at least, not except as a passing nod to gameplay. Deus Ex was an excellent game (I just finished one of the 3 endings).

SP

Sir Penguin
25-09-2004, 00:23:21
Quadruple x-post!

SP

fp
25-09-2004, 00:23:58
Originally posted by protein
Yeah but they seem to know what they are talking about in terms of the publishing/business side of things. They are based in Houston, Texas apparently.

That's good to hear. Just because they're new it doesn't mean they're bad, and I didn't mean to imply that was the case.

protein
25-09-2004, 00:24:31
Originally posted by fp
My info was not at all useful so I didn't email it to you. ;)
Fair play. I knew what a first person shooter was but "FPS" stumped me. I think I'll let the publisher talk to them or I'll blow it.

protein
25-09-2004, 00:26:51
Interestingly he spelled his own name wrong so this could be a wind up. Can you spell Michael "Micheal"?

fp
25-09-2004, 00:32:27
I don't think so, no.

Google only shows 278,000 hits on the internet for "micheal", compared to more than 37 million for "michael".

It could very easily be a typing error. I've typed my own name wrong a time or two because I was just trying to do it too fast and I hit a couple of the keys in the wrong order.

fp
25-09-2004, 00:33:59
I'm a bit pissed and my avatar is freaking me out, so I'm going to bed. :clueless: :clueless: :clueless:

Shining1
25-09-2004, 01:26:19
Some general thoughts, Protein:

It's VERY hard for a small outfit to make a majorly successful FPS game these days - but it does happen, and it can be massive when it does (ala Valve and Half-life). An FPS with RPG elements like Deus Ex that really works would be such a major hit. And if they're lining someone up for music, chances are they aren't completely tugging your chain.

But if I was to take a bet on this, I'd have to go with 'a bad joke' or 'crummy little talentless company seeks cheap muso for their crappy game'. I do think you should explore this, but it shouldn't come at the cost of any more obviously productive activities, and you should clear the checks first... :/

If you can, find out who their publisher is and what the budget for the whole endeavour is. These are multi-million dollar games.

(And I have heard "Micheal"s before.)

Sir Penguin
25-09-2004, 02:35:27
I bet a lot of Micheals come about from misspellings on birth certificates.

I was browsing through the list of Computer Science deparment members at UVic, and I came across an adjunct professor named Dr. Goodenough. :lol:

SP

Asher
25-09-2004, 02:39:16
I wouldn't consider Valve a small outfit at the time of the release of Half-Life.

It was new, to be sure, but it was founded by a couple high-profile senior Microsoft software engineers and secured a fairly high budget from their publisher because of it (they were also made millionaires from MS stock options, and invested lots of their own money).

Shining1
26-09-2004, 03:31:40
Oh they were rich, for sure. But no-one had heard of them until the 'demo' leaks of Half-life had started hitting the downloaders.

That's more or less what I meant by telling Protein to investigate the publisher and the budget for the game. Games like this generally don't get made for less than millions of dollars.

It's certainly not a good sign that they don't seem to have a website or anything of that ilk.

HelloKitty
26-09-2004, 04:19:50
SOunds like a company that didn't learn the lesson Neocron did when they tried to make an MMORPG combo FPS.

Darkstar
05-11-2004, 19:48:13
Houston Texas is a game developer center. So they could be a new shop emerging from the embers of an old one. The name is ringing a bell, but I don't recall why. Probably just read about it being formed in the Game Dev rags.

Protein, I hope you found out about the regular pricing. Most big time money games hire their own sound and composers... although they will often hire out a big time name these days for their opening and closing cinematics and themes. Industry is definately changing to be the new Hollywood.