PDA

View Full Version : Georges RR Martin 'a game of thrones'

maroule
24-09-2004, 12:09:28
just finished the whole cycle (10 books in French)

It starts pretty slowly, and I almost dropped the first book after 30 pages, anticipating yet another 'wheel of time' or 'assassin' (robin knob) i.e. a very lame and overdrawn story about young heroes coming to age. I'm fed up with teenager litterature.

Well, a darn lot of good it did me to continue, since the story grows in size, ambition and maturity from there, to become totally engrossing. Two factors make it (nearly) outstanding : the characterisation ('good' characters and 'bad' ones exchange places quite often, and nobody is binary) and the brutality of it (the author capacity to kill major characters is both shocking and delightful)

all in all, a very good surprise on the fantasy front, after many disappointments (I had to re-read my whole Jack Vance collection, for lack of new decent material).

Mightytree
24-09-2004, 17:04:41
I assume you read the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series, since 'A Game of Thrones' is only the first book in it. It would surprise me if it took the French ten books for only the first part. :)

Anyway, I'm halfway through the second book ('A Clash of Kings') and I think the series is really, really awesome. Tyrion has to be the most brilliant character I've ever had the pleasure of reading of. I agree that the prologue of the first book is somewhat dull, but it's only 10 pages and the book picks up really fast after that. Ten pages shouldn't be too much for even the most impatient. I really like Martin's style of seperating the book in lots of small chapters each devoted to one character (and also advancing the story out of this character's perspective). It's a great way of developing them.

I really can't wait until the 4th book ('A Feast for Crows' ... very intrigueing title) is released. :)

maroule
24-09-2004, 17:43:21
yep, that's what I meant
I went of GM site, and apparently he's still writing the 4th, with a few more chapters to nail down

I also saw a boardgame and a card game were done on the serie... they look fairly nice (said the 33 years old man, blushing at his teenage addictions)

Tyrion still has plenty in front of him, and so do some old and new intriguing characters... cheer up, it only gets better...

Scabrous Birdseed
24-09-2004, 17:45:46
Stefu over on Poly claims that whenver someone posts a "recommend me books" thread on a geeky internet forum it's practically law that either "A Song of Fire and Ice" or "Guns, Germs and Steel" is mentioned.

maroule
24-09-2004, 21:07:28
really? I bought it completely by chance

Mightytree
24-09-2004, 21:16:23
I gave it a try shortly after Greg had posted a thread about it here some months ago. Before that I had never heard of it, just like I've never heard of "Guns, Germs and Steel".

Mightytree
24-09-2004, 21:17:03
And I'm actually quite disappointed that Scabby doesn't think it sucks.

Scabrous Birdseed
25-09-2004, 08:35:20
I haven't read it. It probably does. :)

Greg W
20-10-2004, 04:12:59
@#$%ing excellent series, and I can't wait for A Feast of Crows. :beer:

jsorense
23-12-2004, 02:46:41
"Guns, Germs and Steel" is crap. I couldn't finish it 'cuz it made me mad.