23-09-2004, 16:01:18
gets 9.1 on Gamespot, 2 reasons to irritate Venom

played the demo, it looks fabulous.

Nav@work
23-09-2004, 16:13:21
cool will have to check that out.

MDA
23-09-2004, 16:46:41
Good reviews from PC Gamer, too, I hear.

Venom
23-09-2004, 17:17:06
I'm open to the possibility of the game. If they changed all the fucking annoying things with the game. Most notably the whole family member and generals situation. That shit was retarded.

Lurker
29-09-2004, 17:30:55
Hopefully you'll be reviewing it.

Venom
29-09-2004, 18:17:30
If anyone wants to buy the game for me, I'll be glad to review it.

Resource Consumer
29-09-2004, 22:20:41
what about the longbows?

Venom
30-09-2004, 01:13:25
The Apache version? It's great.

Shining1
30-09-2004, 01:49:44
Apache's didn't have longbows... is this another incidence of 'military intelligence'?

Venom
30-09-2004, 02:02:18
The Apache longbow has better than arrows. It has hellfire missles.

Shining1
30-09-2004, 10:02:17
Just sayin' that the Apache Longbow sounds like the Scottish Tomahawk. It's a bit out of place.

Funkodrom
30-09-2004, 10:17:10
Nah, there might be some tomahawks based on subs in Faslane but they aren't really Scottish.

Venom
30-09-2004, 12:54:28
They're English.

Greg W
02-10-2004, 06:24:54
Well, bought the thing. Will give it a run-through tonight.

Hmm, 4 CD case, only 3 CDs. I wonder if that's good or not...

Greg W
04-10-2004, 05:51:25
Pretty good to date, though me going to a LAN day yesterday and playing FPS games all day kinda limited my available playing time. The battles are pretty danged gorgeous, and the introduction of missions from the Senate is cool. There's something to be said about having games thrown in your honour by the Senate after you complete a mission, or receiving 10,000 denarii. :beer:

About the only negatives which I have spotted to date is that if you put a spy into a city, then someone captures the city, you lose the spy. And in one little game which I started, I beseiged Carthage, and a Carthaginian army of similar size to my force just went off and sat in a fort the whole time. Which was odd.

The buildings are very similar to MTW, in that you need to build barracks to make troops, and all that. Cities are similar, except that you need to keep 'em happy. A garrison helps a lot, as do certain buildings, and newly captured cities have people that resist your rule, until they discover how *ahem* benovolent a rule Rome places upon them.

One of the best things is that there is actual terrain now on the campaign map, and you can build forts (and posisbly other stuff - haven't gotten that far yet) on it. So, often an easy way to defend against those unruly barbarians is to whack a fort in a pass, or just place a friendly unit in the pass. Because there are now zones of control, and non-allied troops cannot bypass a zone of control, which is cool.

Weather also effects the terrain, with winter making travel a much more difficult prospect. Plus it just looks cool to see the terrain covered in snow.

Anyways, off to play more. Veni vedi vici!

Venom
04-10-2004, 13:07:57
I feel obligated to review this game.

Beta1
04-10-2004, 14:43:25
am just out shopping, i might have to buy it if i see it (although i know i have dawn of war waiting for me at work...)

Beta1
04-10-2004, 18:51:35
bloody hell this is complicated. Like civ2 with total war battles.

Greg W
05-10-2004, 00:56:47
That's not a bad description really, Beta.

Qweeg
05-10-2004, 07:56:22
Originally posted by Shining1
Apache's didn't have longbows... is this another incidence of 'military intelligence'?

He means the long range helicopter with a radar thing on its head.

lightblue
05-10-2004, 12:45:56
Originally posted by Beta1
bloody hell this is complicated. Like civ2 with total war battles.

Yeah, only thing missing is a tech tree. Diplomacy is real nice once you get into it.

Qweeg
05-10-2004, 13:01:17
Pah! If you're into Paradox games, all other strats are childishly simple.

Beta1
05-10-2004, 13:24:00
instead of incomprehenisble (bit like my spelling).

I know EU1/2/victoria etc are great strategy games its just their front end makes them bloody impossible to play. I spend more time fighting the interface than the enemy.

Greg W
05-10-2004, 23:50:36
Originally posted by Qweeg
Pah! If you're into Paradox games, all other strats are childishly simple. Well, after about the 6th patch anyway. :p

Qweeg
06-10-2004, 07:43:18
Hm, there was an unusually high amount of obnoxiousness in my previous post, I think I'm a Paradox snob now. The interface of those Paradox games is fine once you get used to em. Sorry to keep going on about it but I kind of suspect that Victoria has ruined me for other strategy games.

Still, I've bought Rome: Total War now, and am looking forward to some lovely nice 3d graphics to go with my fat helping of strategy.

Beta1
07-10-2004, 09:07:54
getting the hang of this game now - I still cant keep my larger settlements in profit but I'm kicking the gauls all over the map. The roman war dogs are great, have broken many a warband by charging 80 attack dogs at them. the diplomacy is great to although the opposition are a little dumb, I have found I can regularly get other factions to pay me a tribute of around 500 gold a turn for 4-5 years in exchange for seeing my map this turn... And when that runs out you can do it again. Infact at the moment I seem to make as much in tribute as I do in tax...

Greg W
07-10-2004, 13:21:27
I can't see why you'd bother trying to keep your larger settlements in profit. Your costs related to running a military are spread accross all your settlements, with the larger ones taking a larger share of the costs. My larger settlements run up to -1k per turn, but overall, I am making 3k+ profit per turn (and I only own about 8-10 provinces).

Must admit to not having played with war dogs at all. I have been mostly playing with combining infantry, missile troops and cavalry. Only just got a settlement large enough to be able to start churning out the second level of troops though, so I haven't seen a lot yet really.

Spies make brilliant mappers too. They are a little slower than diplomats from what I can see, but they make up for it with a much larger line of sight. Of course you can't use them to negotiate alliances and stuff with anyoen you discover, but still.

Building forts and watchtowers is nice too, though IMHO a little expensive for forts, especially as they decay rather quickly.

Quite enjoying the game, though as you noticed, the AI has some issues.

Beta1
07-10-2004, 14:28:59
no worse than the usual erratic diplomacy AIs you get in the CIVs...

I guess its just a civ2 hangover that forces me to think that big city=big income. Whereas here its big city=big income-huge amount spent keeping the population in line.

Infact the best option seems to be to grow your city, build all the buildings, leave it so it rebels, retake it, slaughter 75% population.

instant ghost town with enough people to recruit units from but not enough to cause trouble + all the high tech buildings and the income but without the grief...

LoD
07-10-2004, 15:48:26
...except coming from the families of those you slaughtered, but hey, it's just a game, right :hmm:?

lightblue
07-10-2004, 18:11:49
One thing I am starting to notice is the effectiveness of siege engines when attacking an army in the field as well as cities.

Pounding an armies strongest area with bals of fire from an onager or two softens it up nicely. The AI sometimes tries to do something about it but if you screen your siege engines there's not much he can do about it.

My armies facing the Egyptians at the moment usually look something like this when attacking. They don't seem to be able to flank me effectively even with chariot archers. It helps that my two main armies mostly have silver or gold experience i guess.

L = Legions or Praetorian Cohorts
A = Archer Auxilia
S = Skirmisher
C = Heavy Horse
O = Onagers

***LSAALLAASL***
*CC*L*OO*L*CC*
******LL*******

Qweeg
07-10-2004, 18:15:27
no worse than the usual erratic diplomacy AIs you get in the CIVs...

I guess its just a civ2 hangover that forces me to think that big city=big income. Whereas here its big city=big income-huge amount spent keeping the population in line.

Infact the best option seems to be to grow your city, build all the buildings, leave it so it rebels, retake it, slaughter 75% population.

instant ghost town with enough people to recruit units from but not enough to cause trouble + all the high tech buildings and the income but without the grief...

Maybe decimation was a civil-order concept before they applied it to the army. ;)

Venom
07-10-2004, 19:37:06
This just in: I will be reviewing this game.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-10-2004, 19:41:24
Admit it. You bought it. You dug pennies out of your pocket and whored yourself to it.

Venom
07-10-2004, 19:52:56
Nope. Not buying it. Let's just say it's a gift from the Gods..

zmama
07-10-2004, 19:54:50
:lol:

Maroule is sending it to you!

Chris
07-10-2004, 20:05:36
Actually, I had an extra, so I sent it to Venom, Activision sent me two review copies.

First hint, if you kill off a nation, you can restart the campaign as that nation.

So, if you wipe out the Guals, you can play them, and so on.

Beta1
08-10-2004, 09:16:06
dont know why you would want to play as the gauls - they do seem tactically one dimensional.

Havnt got to the marius reform stage yet so no proper legionaries for me yet but I have developed a fairly reliable anti gaul lineup (probably the same as everyone else)

C*C*HHHHH*C*C
****D*D*D****
******G******

C=cavalry (equites or barbarian mercenaries - generally use mercs as they are more expendable)
H=hastati, mix in principes/triari if you have them,
D=wardogs,
G=general

I dont bother with archers or javelins at the moment, against the charge in head first gauls you dont have enough time to fire enough anyway. If you have any just stick them out front and fire what you can before retreating behind the infantry line.

Either wait for the gauls to charge you or advance in line. Send the cavalry out wide to flank the enemy, as the gauls charge let the wardogs loose at one or two of the enemy units, ideally at the general. Always fire them at a warband not a swordsman group as they can fight them off. Normally the impact of three wardog packs breaks one or two of the gauls front line units, these will be totally destroyed as the dogs will run down the fleeing troops. Then the fun starts, as the remaining gauls hit your line bring the cavalry round into their rear and use the hastati who are not engaged to flank. Usually the gauls crumble quickly and you can run them down with the infantry. If they dont the wardogs will come back from killing their targets and hit the gauls from the back...

If the gauls send an infantry group out after one of your cavalry split the 2 units up so the infantry unit ends up sandwiched and you can charge it from both sides at once.

if the gauls bring cavalry either engage it with a larger amount of yours from multiple angles (works well even against heavy cav) or retrear behind you infantry and let them take the cavalry hit first then counter charge.

BTW are balista any good - i have just built a couple but they havnt arrived at the front yet

Greg W
08-10-2004, 12:41:30
I normally use something like:

S HHSHHSHH S
HA A A A AH
C G C
S = Spearmen
H = Hastasi (swordsmen)
A = Archers/Javelins
C = Cavalry
G = General

When I have a full stack of 20 (or whatever the limit is) anyway. Spearmen are to take care of enemy cavalry attempting to outflank me (initially anyway). The rest is pretty self explanatory really, except that if the enemy won't come to me, I send the Skirmishers up front to draw the enemy in. I really should start using them to screen my formations, but at the moment, the battles are reasonably easy, so there's been no need.

Beta1
08-10-2004, 13:11:26
isnt there some sort of bug whereby archers are likely to cause casualties to friendly units ahead of them? One of the reasons I havnt bothered too much with them.

Chris
08-10-2004, 15:11:49
Its not a bug, all missle units can kill your own troops if you shoot while friendly units are hand to hand.

Beta1
08-10-2004, 15:59:41
no - I mean the archers tend not to fire over the units in line ahead of them. So if your all lined up waiting for the enemy to advance then instead of firing over the guys in the front line before the enemy arrive some of the time they fire into the backs of the unit ahead of them...

Chris
08-10-2004, 16:23:15
That is a failing in your tactics.

Archers in the anciet world are meant to fire and then fall back, not provide continous barage. Firing over your own troops was not a tactic used by the Romans, for the very reason the game shows, friendly fire.

Use your archers this way, place them in front of your battle line, with a gap for them to retreat through. Let them fire a volley, than fall back through the line, while the infantry engages. Velites should also be used this way. They will cause causalties and lower moral. You can see this by holding the curor over the attacking troops.

Roman cohort tactics are based on this, not continous lines, and Rome had the most sucessful army in the ancient world.

Venom
08-10-2004, 18:13:50
Your tactics are not unlike a baby's diaper. Shitty and potentially fatal.

Greg W
08-10-2004, 22:09:58
Heh, I have found it to work so far, and I figured not to shoot into hth. There always seems to be an enemy unit hanging back, or attempting to flank, and I tend to shoot them. The Velites have a surprisingly long range with those javelins.

But yes, some refinement is probably in order, if for nothing else than to shield my lines of battle.

Beta1
11-10-2004, 17:50:11
Thanks for the tips oh great one,

but actually it does work, all you have to do is set the archers back a bit more than in the previous games as the arrows now fly a bit flatter than before.

That way I can keep up a barrage all the way until the enemy are almost ontop of my lines. I have given up on velites - they are a waste of denarii, why get velites/light auxillia when that space in my army roster could be filled with a legionary cohort who also has a thrown weapon (albeit shorter ranged) and a good chance in combat or an archer with much longer range.

Also the fire at will button seems a bit iffy. Often I have turned it off and moved the archers away from the battle and made sure theres no firing icon on them and suddenly the bastards turn round and stick another volley into the melee... I used to advance them out to the wings but now i'm fighting the brits those chariots are too much of a threat to anything outside the infantry line.

Whats everyones take on the british chariots. I hate the buggers they keep screwing up my lines. Also because the general is always in one he always charges my line which results in his death and his army falls to bits. The brits would be a lot harder to beat if the general was on foot and so didnt always get himself killed before the main attack.

Best counter I have found so far (apart from large number sif flaming arrows) is the scorpion. It seems like a long range sniper rifle. Two units of them kills a chariot or two every volley and they fire pretty dam quick. looking forward to trying the repeating ballista out... that should really cut them down.

Only other unit I have found any use is the spear armed auxillia and they take a lot of casualties in doing it (but rather them than the legionaries)

lightblue
11-10-2004, 18:16:00
Not faced British chariots, but i found Elephants (archer mercenary) real handy against the Egyptian chariots as long as you can get close enough as the chariot archer tend to run. The repeating ballista is alright but not quite as rapid fire as i'd hoped and the accuracy of fire is lower than on the scorpions.

Venom
11-10-2004, 18:26:15
Played the game a little bit last night. Review will be forthcoming.

zmama
11-10-2004, 18:42:20
Ooooh I hope you hate it! It's so much more fun when you do.

lightblue
11-10-2004, 19:50:50
Starting to bore me a bit now though.. but then any singleplayer does that to me nowadays within a week or so, so 10 days isn't bad. Back to DAoC and WoW beta we go.

Chris
11-10-2004, 21:13:16
British chariots can be handled, try hittiing them with heavy cavalry, they don't last long.

When marius' reforms come, its best to just use cohorts, pretorinas and Roman cavalry I have found.

Just move the cohorts into Testudo, and the enemy missles do little damage, and use your horsemen to destroy enemy light troops.

The other Roman factions tend to rely on light infantry fire, and usually only have one horse unit and some heavy infantry, so you can really hurt them.

BTW, the only way to really kill is with cavalry, when the other army routes, horsemen can catch and kill an awful lot of troops.

Beta1
12-10-2004, 09:13:03
havnt actually used testudo - completely forgotten about it!

Dont think I'm going to see that much of the brit chariots anymore though - they are down to about 4 provences and teir armies seem to be mostly warband based rather than the 8 chariot unit ones that jumped me at the beggining of the campaign.

Chris
12-10-2004, 12:11:37
Finished a campaign as the Julii, took 50 provinces.

Any survivors unlock for future campaigns, so I can play as Egypt, Greece, Selucids, Parthia, in addition to ones I killed, Carthage, Gaul, Germania, Britannia and Spain.

Venom
13-10-2004, 14:34:27
So far I'm not really hating. Oh sure, there will be hate in the review but they've changed a lot of things that I hated. I like to think that my review caused all that.

maroule
13-10-2004, 17:45:45
the only thing it caused is my arrival here

Venom
13-10-2004, 18:13:50
They changed the map and the way faction members worked. I did that.

Greg W
14-10-2004, 00:49:56
Sure you did, Venom. Sure you did... :p

Venom
14-10-2004, 01:11:12
I am the center of everything. My mass dictates that.

Greg W
14-10-2004, 08:51:21
Your arse you mean. It's so smelly that everything gravitates away from it.

Venom
14-10-2004, 14:08:15
Ahhh, the hate begins to well up. Crashes to desktops, games unexplicably ending...mmmm my old friend hate. Keeps me warm at night.

Chris
14-10-2004, 15:12:57
Other people have remarked on that, but having played through one and half campaigns, I have yet to have a CTD, not a single one.

Funkodrom
14-10-2004, 15:16:39
The spirit of Firaxis lives on in you! ;)

Venom
14-10-2004, 15:27:51
My machine never crashes. Hell, it never crashed when I played that other Total Shit game and everybody said that game went down more often than a hooker on a submarine.

Greg W
15-10-2004, 11:08:44
I have had no problems at all with CTDs either. Must be your machine Venom! :p

Beta1
15-10-2004, 11:37:26
no CTDs here either.

Venom
15-10-2004, 12:37:13
So far I've only had 1 CTD. But it really pissed me off.

LoD
15-10-2004, 13:26:44
:lol:

Chris
15-10-2004, 14:41:34
My review:

http://www.strategyinformer.com/reviews/rometotalwar.shtml

Venom
19-10-2004, 14:24:20
I swear. I'll start writing my review tonight.

Funkodrom
19-10-2004, 14:51:34
You'd better! Or else!

Venom
19-10-2004, 15:14:31
Oh no! Not or else!

Funkodrom
19-10-2004, 15:24:03
Or else I'll get Greg W to run you a nice hot bath with candles!

Lurker
19-10-2004, 16:20:23
So much for the review, then.....

zmama
19-10-2004, 16:23:15
Damn...no hot invective for us
just hot gay bath bubble fun for Venom and Greg.

The Shaker
19-10-2004, 16:31:38
Annoyingly if i ever have two armies with two family members in command th AI takes charge of one army and promptly charges his general straight into the middle of some spears.
cue one dead family member.

grrrrrrrr

Resource Consumer
19-10-2004, 22:21:15
Where is Darkstar when you need to test something on the crashometer?

Greg W
19-10-2004, 23:47:41
Originally posted by zmama
Damn...no hot invective for us
just hot gay bath bubble fun for Venom and Greg. Well, you can watch the video...

zmama
20-10-2004, 00:20:31
S'okay you can keep the video for your own private viewing...and viewing

Venom
20-10-2004, 01:58:42
Bring on the gayness. I went to a movie instead. Review tomorrow.

Beta1
20-10-2004, 08:57:40
Originally posted by The Shaker
Annoyingly if i ever have two armies with two family members in command th AI takes charge of one army and promptly charges his general straight into the middle of some spears.
cue one dead family member.

grrrrrrrr

yeah that is a little daft. But then the AI tends to charge its own generals straight into walls of spears too so at least its consistant.

As a result I simply dont ever use reenforcements. I can beat a full stack with one of my own with relatively few casualties so if the enemy brings more than one stack i withdraw and take them on indiviually.

incidently i just got to north africa and have got some mercenary elephants!!!

Anyone know what the victory conditions are on the full campaign? As jullii I have wiped out the gauls (and the britons and the spanish and the carthaginians) and taken rome but the game is still going on. Is there a minimum number of provinces to take? or do i have to actually wipe out the other roman factions too?

Greg W
20-10-2004, 10:30:00
50 provinces. Plus outlast the Senate (can't remember if there's anyone else to outlast - possibly the other roman tribes).

Chris
20-10-2004, 14:13:54
Not exactly.

The condition is to take 50 cities, not 50 different cities.

If you lose a city to revolt, or an enemy, and regain it, that counts towards the 50.

Also, you must have Rome as one of the cities, no matter whom you are playing as.

Venom
20-10-2004, 14:52:13
So, you just invade Rome, is that how that works?

Beta1
20-10-2004, 14:57:02
I must be pretty close now then as I have taken rome, outlasted the senate and currently have about 35 provences + have allowed some to rebel and then retaken them in a few cases. Probably somewhere around 45 cities taken. Am currently kicking the scipio around north africa so should get to 50 fairly shortly. Then I can stop playing and go back to planetside (am getting withdrawal symptoms)

Chris
20-10-2004, 15:23:44
Originally posted by Venom
So, you just invade Rome, is that how that works? If you are a Roman faction, check your senate popularity.

Eventually, the Plebs will call on you to take over, that is when you strike. The senate ordered by Scipii faction leader to kill himself, when i refused, THEY declared war, and I smacked them around.

Beta1
20-10-2004, 15:36:25
same here, i got the hint that the plebs would welcome me, spent a few turns building up some big stacks in N italy then when the kill yourself or your outlawed message came through I told them where to stick it and went for rome. The next few turns the senate went mad and started repeatedly outlawing all the other roman factions and even if I made an alliance with one of them the senate would re outlaw them and I would lose it again.

Much better after I broke the walls down and lined the streets with their broken carcasses...

Venom
20-10-2004, 15:40:35
And if I get itchy and smash the Senate too early?

Beta1
20-10-2004, 16:01:17
then you will find the other two factions being a pain in the arse and more importantly it will screw up your trade fleets.

Before the civil war you make loads of money through trade as you have the other two factions as nice big safe markets and as the scipio and the bruttii normally build big fleets and keep the med clear of the other factions you dont even have to worry about piracy. After the civil war starts you can forget about trade if your the julli - you will have already conquered much of NW europe and spain and probably pushed into dacian/germanian territory. In the mean time the other two attack NW africa and greece/balkans. As a result if your at war with the other factions theres not many trade partners left except the far east ports and only then if your friendly with the egyptions...

So squish the barbarians first, then the romans.

Chris
20-10-2004, 16:26:20
That is the way it went in my Julii game.

My Scipii game was more fun, as I concentrated on taking out the Carthaginians, greeks and egyptians.

I had over 500,000 dinarii and all the improvements in each city before the civil war. I had even replaced all the old pre-marius military units with modern forces.

The Senate fight with the old army, Venitarii, Hastasii and Triaii, I had Urbeen Cohorts and Pretorians, with legion Cavalry. I also had three gold chevron cohorts, nearly unbreakable in combat.

My game as gaul is money straped (the trade issue), but using them is also fun, they gain experience very quickly, and they do have elite barbarian units.

Funkodrom
21-10-2004, 09:44:25
How's the review going Venom?

Beta1
21-10-2004, 12:13:22
ha ha elephants are great. used my mercenary unit against the scipio defenders in a seige. smashed a hole in the wall with onagers then sent the elephants in. Looked like some sort of deranged game of bowling. Legionaires flying all over the place!

Venom
21-10-2004, 12:44:57
Originally posted by Funkodrom
How's the review going Venom?

It's going great. I've got like 5 lines.

Funkodrom
21-10-2004, 12:45:45
Put the coke down and get on with the review.

Nav
21-10-2004, 12:57:54
dude, he needs caffeine to stay awake and write it...

Venom
21-10-2004, 13:25:28
I'll finish it around Monday.

zmama
21-10-2004, 13:40:33
Which Monday?

Venom
21-10-2004, 14:07:50
Damn. You ruined my out.

zmama
21-10-2004, 16:41:32
Glad to be of service!

:beer:

Venom
21-10-2004, 16:54:36
I'll think of another lie. Either that or I won't care. Not caring is easy and fun. Like internet porn without the chaffing and carpal tunnel.

Venom
22-10-2004, 13:15:09
Good news. 10 lines now.

Chris
22-10-2004, 14:17:50
Coke or words?

Venom
22-10-2004, 14:25:56
5 of each.

Beta1
22-10-2004, 14:38:53
yaaaay finished it.

Realised I had enough money to just buy the remaining cities I needed!

Haddnt been that way before but it must be pretty easy playing as the greeks - that wonder that gives you +4 happyness per city must make keeping the plebs in line soooooo much easier.

Chris
22-10-2004, 14:47:55
Greeks are the easiest faction IMO.

I tried it as the Parthians, didn't get far, have to try that again.

Venom
22-10-2004, 15:15:46
Why is making money so godamn hard.

Funkodrom
22-10-2004, 15:17:02
'cause they put all that anti-forgery shit on it. Wankers.

Chris
22-10-2004, 15:30:34
Why is making money so godamn hard. Trade aggrements and better ports, and money problems are solved.

Also, ALWAYS kill the population, big treasury boost from that.

Venom
22-10-2004, 15:41:54
So only port cities make money. At least in my experience. What bullshit.

Chris
22-10-2004, 17:02:44
No, if you have a port, inland cities will also use it, in that case, build roads.

If you are making money, you will see trade caravans marching along your roads, as well as dotted lines in the sea, for sea trade routes.

Venom
22-10-2004, 18:12:14
Oh I got lots of roads and lots of wagons move. But every single city without a port is losing money faster than a color blind guy at a roulette table.

Chris
22-10-2004, 18:23:12
As long as your national budget is positive, don't worry about the negative cities.

Chris
22-10-2004, 18:24:02
Oh, and if you REALLY want money, take the city of Rhodes, the collusus will double all trade income.

Venom
22-10-2004, 19:01:37
Now that's good information. Prepare to suck upon my balls, Rhodes!

Chris
22-10-2004, 19:12:34
Corinth is important also, theZues wonder gives you a +4 happiness boost.

Venom
22-10-2004, 19:16:30
Maybe I should just hurry up and conquer everyone.

Chris
22-10-2004, 19:22:53
Greece is the best nation to smash, the Greek cities are all money makers.

Japher
22-10-2004, 20:23:20
I am playing the game.. I like it. The only thing that is bugging me is that I can't get the sound to work during the movie portions only. I've updated all my drivers, I more than meet the system requirements, and I turned my graphics acceleration to basic... and doesn't really effect the game though.

I have only been playing about a week, and dominated with ease with the Julii or whatever they are (the red dudes), and decided to start over with the green dudes... I'm now playing the green dudes and the sea stuff right at the beggining is making the game more fun. I'll probably lose though because I generally suck at games

Chris
22-10-2004, 21:04:51
The Green are the Brutii family.

I have not had a technical problem with the game so far though.

Japher
22-10-2004, 21:50:57
Yeah, they said the sound problem was due to the hardware acceleration (not the graphics), but I still get the issue. Doesn't take from the game, IMO, as I generall skip through the movies.

Chris
22-10-2004, 22:36:06
I think a lot of people are having problems because these new games are resource hounds, and they don't have processors and video cards that can handle the newer games.

I have an athlon 2500+, which is a little long in the tooth, but a great chip, and Radeon 9600 Pro video card, one of the best ever made.

My system has 2 harddrives, the primary only has windows and a few messenger programs, the rest is free space, 10 gigs worth.

The other drive I use to store games, its 110 Gigs, and there is plenty of room in it. I have never had a game i couldn't play, and I believe its because I have so much virtual memory available on teh primary, coupled with a good processor and excellent video card.

Japher
22-10-2004, 22:53:59
I don't think it's my system

Chris
22-10-2004, 22:58:41
Must be some setting you you have, that is all i can think of, but I'm not a tech geek.

Japher
23-10-2004, 02:36:25
me neither... I have no clue. The game is still fun though. Just for ref. I have a HP Pavillion 753n, it's a 2.53GHz. Unless their is some strange compatibility issue it must be a setting I have no idea exists.

JM^3
24-10-2004, 02:13:21
Well, I just got this instead of Dawn of War, and I must say that I am a bit disappointed. I haven't been able to get it working in the last few hours. First it wouldn't install, because it didn't recongnise my operating system. Now when I click on it, nothing happens (I have installed and patched it up).

JM

Beta1
24-10-2004, 09:37:55
it didnt recognide your OS? WTF are you running - OS2/Warp?

JM^3
24-10-2004, 17:58:59
Windows XP 64bit

JM

maroule
25-10-2004, 12:19:27
and that's how a good thread on a great game became a bore...

Am half way into my first campaign, don't have much time to play (or post) these days. I find it a bit too easy right now (in normal), against barbarians at least, but as I clash with Cartage in Spain, it should get more competitive. There are some side issues to be perfected but overall it is a genuinely superb game. There are plenty of very enjoyable minor subtleties, and I can't wait to see what the modders will be able to do with such a great engine : typically, this could spawn a fantastic game on the war of the ring, or any heroic fantasy world with very little battle magic (am thinking of G.R.Martin books among others)

Venom
25-10-2004, 12:36:42
I was attacked by a bear this weekend. I couldn't finish the review.

zmama
25-10-2004, 13:16:50
So the bear ripped your head off?

Cool

Venom
25-10-2004, 13:46:11
It was awesome.

MDA
25-10-2004, 17:31:41
You certainly are all out of clever ideas. All this time I thought your sig was a lie to prevent people from asking you to write reviews.

Beta1
25-10-2004, 18:27:45
just got my arse kicked playing as the sleucids. Its much harder when you surrounded by egyptions, parthians and greeks than when you have 2 borders secured by nice friendly roman factions...

Going to try as the egyptians next

Chris
25-10-2004, 20:24:43
I'm playing as the Selucids myself, took out Egypt, Parthia, and am fighting the Sciipii in North Africa.

Japher
25-10-2004, 22:44:34
I'm still play as Butuiiisisisisi, much better starting locating. I smited the Macedonians (the black and red dudes) and the Greek City States... Lots of money for me! I am working on the brown dudes, but think I might just take out Rome to play someone else.

I really need to learn the names of the dudes.

MOBIUS
26-10-2004, 00:25:07
Dude, where's my Empire?

Chris
26-10-2004, 04:03:10
Brown is the Dacians, they lived in modern day Romania is.

They are also unplayable as a race.

The Selucids are hard to use, but Parthia has been immpossible, I tried three times, still no luck with them.

Beta1
26-10-2004, 08:57:10
egyptions seem marginally easier, population seems easy to keep in line and while the inital units are shit (the nubian spearmen are truely useless) and they dont have anything quite as versatile as the later legionary troops their line infantry (nile spearmen/axemen) seem capable and their top infantry (pharouhs guard) are as good as anything their neightbours have. Their missile troops are also excellent, including some good chariot mounted archers and long range foot archers. Their starting position is also easy, if you can ally with the nubians you only have one direction to face and thats where the best expansion options are (selucid/parthian provences). Its also fairly easy to take rhodes from the rebels, buy a sizable greek style mercenary army (hoplites/cretan archers/skirmishers) and combine it with the excellent mercanary arab cavalry and use it to attack the selucids western provences. I doubt I will be able to hold rhodes once the romans arrive in greece but by then I should hold most of turkey and SE corner of the map which should be enough to get the short campaign victory...

Chris
26-10-2004, 11:09:06
Selucid is proving to have the best units, their top infantry is an excellent silver shield Phalanx, and, they can build silver cohorts, the same exact unit as the Roman cohorts.

They also have a devasting cavalry unit, fully armored, that makes battles a snap, the cataphract,

Just engage the enemy infantry, put these bad boys in wedge formation (its best to have at least 4 of them in a battle) and ride down the enemy like nobody's business. Light troops break in seconds, and if they hit the sides of rear of heavy troops, they are just as effective.

They even have a heavier unit, the companion cavalry, but its hard to replace losses, since it takes the top cav building to make.

Using these tactics, I have been kicking the crap out of Roman armies all over the map.

I also devised a better city defense then manning the gates and protecting the walls. It seems the town square in each town only has two approaches, so I place three or four phalanx at the choke point street that leads to the square, the AI can't handle this, it tries to frontally assault the units, and they die like crazy, 800 greeks killed almost 2,000 Romans using this tactic in one battle.

Right now, I have 30 provinces, but unrest is looming, I may have to move the capital westward.

Beta1
26-10-2004, 11:46:43
yeah I noticed that one - on the rare occasions a AI army actually makes it to my walls (and stays there long enough to assault) I try and do a similar thing. Usually I have archers on the walls first to do some damage then retreat off the walls before they have a chance to catch my missile troops. Then its a unit of my strongest phalanx troops across the streets and they shall not pass.

Venom
26-10-2004, 12:38:39
My house burned down last night. Couldn't write the review.

JM^3
27-10-2004, 11:01:26
so far I am enjoying this

but I am playing it on my old computer, which isn't near as nice as this one (for one thing, I don't have a 21" monitor on the old one)

I sm playing julius, I think maybe too easy of setting, but considering how badly I was doing until I restarted, I think that it is ok

Jon Miller

Venom
27-10-2004, 12:41:23
Had intense diarrhea last night. Couldn't get off the shitter to write the review.

Greg W
27-10-2004, 20:04:41
Your excuses are as lame as your sex life. :gasmaske:

Venom
27-10-2004, 21:12:59
Maybe that will be my excuse tonight. My lame sex life became less lame and I was banging 3 hot 20 year olds.

Resource Consumer
27-10-2004, 22:03:41
the immodium sure worked then

Chris
28-10-2004, 02:35:49
Finished the Selucid game, unrest was severe at the end, but I was far to strong for the Romans at that point, having wiped out the Scipii and senate, and the Brutaii were on their last legs.

The game is addicting, I have played five campaigns in a few weeks.

Venom
28-10-2004, 12:41:01
Ok, no fake excuse this time. I actually severely injured my back and my soccer game last night and can barely move. Feel free to laugh.

Chris
28-10-2004, 13:11:15
Ha hah.
http://www.jrj-socrates.com/Cartoon%20Pics/Fox/Simpsons/Nelson_Muntz_300.gif

Greg W
28-10-2004, 19:18:38
...injured my back and my soccer game last night...You managed to injure the whole game? Good effort. :beer:

Venom
28-10-2004, 19:21:13
Roy Keane's a pussy compared to me.

Resource Consumer
28-10-2004, 19:34:18
Roy Keane's lower than a pussy - he is just a fake gold ankle chain

zmama
28-10-2004, 20:04:15
But Venom if your back is injured, then you have nothing better to do than write the review!

Resource Consumer
28-10-2004, 21:29:55
ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg W
29-10-2004, 09:34:35
pwned!

Venom
29-10-2004, 14:00:18
pawned like the rest of my stuff.

Japher
29-10-2004, 17:14:41
How long does this game take! I've taken over half the map! If I take over Rome will I win?

Also, how do you unlock new factions?

Beta1
29-10-2004, 17:21:25
If your roman and on the full campaign you need 50 towns captured including rome. You can see your current number of towns capped on the faction screen. If you win the campaign all playable factions unlock. If you lose then only the factions that were conquered during the game will unlock.

Chris
29-10-2004, 17:24:01
You need 50 areas PLUS Rome.

You should get a message when you take 30 cities, saying the people want you to take over.

The other factions are opened by wiping them out, you have to kill them off, or win before someone else kills them off.

Not all the nations are playable I think, the ones I have available are:

The three Roman factions.
Greek Cities
Selucids
Macedonians
Cathiginians
Egyptians
Parthians
Gaul
Brittainia
Germania

Beta1
31-10-2004, 13:29:54
christ the playing the carthigians is hard. your town in sciliy gets overrun by the scipii, your town in sardinia gets hit by the julii and you ones in spain get the gauls stomping on them. Add to this the pretty useless carthaginian infantry and its a real struggle to defend anything. I took out spain by using mercenaries but then got steamrollered by a full gaul stack and a couple of medium julii armies. Add to this how vunerable the NW african provences are to seaborn attacks and you are well and truly stuffed.

I mean their infantry is terrible - the iberian infantry is just about OK as light infantry but cant take on a legion cohort or even the hastati really. The libyan spearmen are pretty useless too. to get anything even halfway usefull you need a fully upgraded barracks (poeni infantry - just about as good as a greek hoplite) or a fully upgraded temple (sacred band - pretty usefull but hard to build and replace)

admittedly you can get elephants quite quickly but they are not the most tactically flexible of units...

Chris
31-10-2004, 15:14:33
I haven't tried them yet, working on the Germanians now, they are pretty cool.

They have spearman that can form a Phalanx, and women warriors that stand there and scream! It works too, I saw a bunch of Hastasii lose their moral because of those German harpies!

I tried the Partnians for the forth time, still no good, I just can't seem to make them work, the Egyptians always attack, and there is no money.

Beta1
31-10-2004, 16:47:35
thats one thing annoying about the cathiginians - theres money but not quite enough to stop the legions descending on you and kicking you all over the place

Chris
31-10-2004, 16:56:18
Do you fight every battle?

I have found that is best in the early game, I win even vs some pretty hopeless odds.

Chris
01-11-2004, 17:13:52
Germans are kicking ass, just took Rome, and the Julii have only one city left.

Barbarians are amazing, their base units are their best units.

I tried an improved axe guy, 78 of them killed, while the warriors on the left and right of them lost maybe 5 guys each. Axeman are crap.

The noble cav isn't bad though, and I love those screaming chicks.

Lurker
01-11-2004, 19:28:32
Venom's review was so amazing, I quickly went out and didn't buy the game.

Venom
01-11-2004, 19:44:23
I was in a wedding this weekend. Too drunk and busy to write the review.

Beta1
01-11-2004, 21:05:09
Originally posted by Chris
Do you fight every battle?

I have found that is best in the early game, I win even vs some pretty hopeless odds.

yes unless its an easy win for me. The carths just dont have anything with the HtH ability they need. the basic infantry (ibernian) is 7 attack, 2 charge , 8 total defense and 2 armor and the basic spearmen are 5/5/16/7 (and no phalanx)

everything else needs tier four or more

compared to the romans early game units -

hastati 7/2/14/5 and with a 11 point missile attack
principes 7/2/16/7 and 11 point missile attack

both of which are third tier or less

So the carths have one moderately good sword unit that has such shit armor/defence that it lasts 2 seconds in combat (and less agasint cavalry) and one well amored spear unit which lasts 2 seconds because it has absolutely no attacking ability....

I think the only way forward is about 200000000 elephants and hope they dont go beserk!

Chris
01-11-2004, 21:46:01
How about cavalry?

I have found that Hastasi and Velittes break if hit with three or more cav units.

Japher
01-11-2004, 22:39:19
I got the message telling me to take out Rome, but I'm to busy kicking Egypts butt... I think I'll go for world domination!

Beta1
02-11-2004, 11:26:32
given up on carthage now. Gone back to the selucids. I see what you mean about taking out the egyptions. This time I hit them hard and early and took jerusalem and their other city on the coast leaving them just the nile valley cities. That really knocked them back and I now have no problem containing them. Just building up my seige engines and armies and then I will go and finish them off. I didn the same thing with the parthians - hitting their furthest south city in turn 2 with a mostly mercenary army. End result I now have free run in the SE corner of the map at all those little independent towns and any other faction has to cross a mountain range or move through the choke points around the red sea :) Nice safe borders, plenty of cash and time to build up a egypt smashing army!

Chris
02-11-2004, 17:02:15
The Selucids can make a LOT of money.

I finished the german game, going to try the Carthagians next.

Germania, like all the barbs, has a hard time with big cities, since the barbs can't build sewer improvements, they get massive unhappiness from squalor.

Lazarus and the Gimp
02-11-2004, 20:29:56
Well you lot have persuaded me. I've bought the game.

I liked the other two for their tactical game, but thought the strategic game was a bit pooh.

Chris
02-11-2004, 22:24:44
Playing a Carth game now, it isn't that hard Beta, you have to use your cavalry to win.

I smashed 12 gaul warbands with just 4 roundshield cav, and two units of peltists.

Just get the gauls to chase the peltists, and hit each gaul unit with the four cav massed and in wedge formation.

Did teh same to the julii, they took Sadinia, but I took it right back, again using cavalry tactics.

The Scipii haven't bothered me in sciliy yet, but I have been attacked roman fleets everywhere, I even forced the Spanish to make peace after a sneak attack.

Beta1
02-11-2004, 22:53:04
I think your right - I've been trying it. the light cavalry you can get early in the game just about makes up for the shit infantry. I guess after playing rome I was too stuck with big blocks of infantry steamrolling tactics!

Japher
02-11-2004, 23:59:42
My game is taking to long. I want to win so I can play the other factions... Also, I can't really play with the wife being sick and all.:(

Beta1
03-11-2004, 09:44:28
sorry to hear about the wife...

But carth cav does work, am now happily producing armies that are 40-50% cavalry and kicking those legions off sicily, the spanish out of spain and the the numibs out of numibia!

maroule
03-11-2004, 11:27:56
the elephants are so fucking expensive : 6 for 1200 denarii!! 200 a piece!!! better stick to the cheap cavalry

Greg W
03-11-2004, 12:11:07
Heh, I am finding that keeping cities happy is the hard part. I may have to seriously start using the depopulation methodology mentioned earlier. No revolts yet, just a lot of borderline cities.

Beta1
03-11-2004, 13:09:30
but they are so funny. Nothing like sending a group of elephants into a group of infantry and seeing them go flying all over the place!

Chris
03-11-2004, 13:12:13
I think your right - I've been trying it. the light cavalry you can get early in the game just about makes up for the shit infantry. I guess after playing rome I was too stuck with big blocks of infantry steamrolling tactics! It took me awhile to work out cavalry was the key, they can almost always win, if used wisely. You need some infantry to distract the enemy, than you can crush them.

I had two heroic vitories with Carth cav, never had a heroic win with any other faction.

Chris
03-11-2004, 13:13:18
but they are so funny. Nothing like sending a group of elephants into a group of infantry and seeing them go flying all over the place! Elephants suck, they easily panic if the enemy hits them with missle fire.

Light cav is worth more.

Beta1
03-11-2004, 13:25:46
I didnt say they were better, just more entertaining.

Have you tried the armoured ones. They are lethal in city fights. Like armoured bulldozers. Even phalanxes have trouble with a squad of them.

Chris
03-11-2004, 14:48:25
No, but I will with the Carths, since that sounds like fun.

Beta1
04-11-2004, 11:08:02
just took a town this morning using the elephant buldozer method.

Knocked the gate in then sent the circus squad straight throught the gate. Turned out there was a unit of heavy cavalry on the other side waiting to squash the first infantry through. The elephants walked straight through them and routed the unit for the loss of one elephant. Then they ran away but not after stomping over a lot of light infantry in the town on their way out!

And those were only the cheap version.

Chris
04-11-2004, 14:59:00
They are amusing, the Romans tried to take Lilybium, and I sent the Elephants to attack them from the rear, they routed several units of princips, and my Cav killed the Scipii heir as he tried to run from the fight!

Carths are hard though, everybody wants a piece of them.

Beta1
04-11-2004, 15:44:25
yeah i came to the conclusion it was better to go after everybody else first.

only person i'm not at war with at the moment is the greeks and I'm shaping up to go after them too.

Chris
04-11-2004, 16:07:31
I intend to take the offensive. the Scipii only have two cities, Messina nd Capua, and I just killed their big army, so I should win that one.

I expect the Numidians to attack, they are lurking near my cities.

Not sure what I will do with Spain yet.

Chris
08-11-2004, 21:34:19
Played a little more, secured Sciliy, landed in Italy, took the two Brutii start cites, and juct destroyed the Scipii at Capua.

The Romans cannot handle massed cavalry attacks at all, they lack spear troops, I have seen Triarii only once so far, and they died under a massave charge od 8 carth cav units.

Spain has basically backed off, as had Gaul. Egypt attacked, but the army they sent was easily overwhelmed, not knocking them out till Rome is finished.

Beta1
08-11-2004, 23:00:56
yeah triarii are tier 3 or four units. thing is once you are at that level you can usually get the marius reform practically imediately so the triarii option dissappears. Then again you get the legionary auxillia who are spear armed. Not as tough but loads of the buggers.

I'm a little concerned I'm beggining to see more roman cavalry. And those heavier legionary cav units really muck up my round/long shields. I still win but by the time i have finished off their cav i often dont have much left for their infantry...

Chris
08-11-2004, 23:23:35
That's why I'm going for Rome before anyone else, I don't want to marius' reforms.

But I also have tactics using the sacred band that work, ten of them screened by ten cav make an unbeatable combo, just form the band in a conclave formation, with the rear open, and the cav inside, like this:

/--------\

The roman cav will usually go for either flank, and ride straight into spears, and your cav is massed to counter-charge right on teh spot.

Lurker
09-11-2004, 18:53:58
I guess the dog ate Venom's review this weekend.

zmama
09-11-2004, 19:10:59
If he stopped spilling gravy on it, this wouldn't happen!

Darkstar
09-11-2004, 20:50:32
He's actually just started playing it, and cannot be bothered to stop playing and write the review this week.

Chris
09-11-2004, 20:52:24
Crushed a Senate army twice my size, by only using Cav.

I didn't realize it before, the Romans are helpless vs a lot of cav, they need cohorts to survive.

I now have Rome under siege, and destroyed the Julii Navy, making me master of the central med. I want to finish off the Julii before dealing with Spain and gaul, to that end, I made peace with Egypt.

Venom
09-11-2004, 21:19:40
I'm done entertaining the deluded psychos that post here.

Darkstar
09-11-2004, 23:33:39
You aren't going to entertain me anymore? :cry:

Venom
10-11-2004, 01:14:29
Maybe.

Lurker
10-11-2004, 16:35:23
I am not deluded.

zmama
10-11-2004, 16:45:40
Nope, just stinky

Lurker
10-11-2004, 16:51:04
Keeps people away, which is good.

Chris
10-11-2004, 20:22:56
The Julii are beaten, and I have landed in greece to take on the Brutii.

I think this is the last game for awhile, played out on this game now.

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-11-2004, 18:19:26
Call me "Mr Cynical", but I doubt the historical veracity of the British "Head hurler" unit.

Chris
13-11-2004, 18:26:44
Some of the units seem to be questionable, especailly the barbarian units.

I don't recall ever reading about screaming women carrying meat clevers, yet the Germanians have such a unit.

BigGameHunter
13-11-2004, 18:28:58
Apparently you haven't been to one of my family reunions.
German women can get quite worked up if you just try a little bit.

zmama
13-11-2004, 18:31:18
NO!

We're very calm and sweet :D

Chris
13-11-2004, 18:32:13
And you are a unit in a video game!

BigGameHunter
13-11-2004, 18:33:27
With a bloody cleaver! Nice!

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-11-2004, 19:40:33
"OK Mr British barbarian. You take a severed human head, coat it in quicklime, then throw it at people. And it kills them?"