PDA

View Full Version : LWP7 Part 4

Lazarus and the Gimp
20-09-2004, 15:58:20
I suggest we just post 'em here. Any objections?

Funkodrom
20-09-2004, 16:07:36
No. Will do mine ASAP. (that might be a long time!)

Lazarus and the Gimp
21-09-2004, 19:03:08
Track 9

I went to a Screaming Blue Messiahs gig in about 1988 and I recall watching their baldy frontman spraying blood all over his guitar and shirt from his lacerated fingers as he played. That sort of thing impresses you when you're 17. The problem with this track, like most other SBM tracks I've heard, is that it totally fails to capture the fact that they were a monstrous live act. The song's fine and the guitarwork is great, but the spineless production sucks all the energy out of the song. It's a real shame- they deserved better.

Track 10

BGH sent me about 5 tracks by this band on his CD's- this one was the stand-out. I've been fooled by their name, assuming that they were some gutless downer TV punk band. Or Soul Asylum Mk 2. This is a great track, however. It's got a real relentless surge to it, and I love the churning guitar work that gets progressively dirtier and ballsier as the outro kicks in. Interesting lyrics too. Any recommendations as to what to buy by this lot?

Track 12

An awful lot of this late 60's style pastiche pop leaves me not so much cold as nauseous, but this one has a lot to recommend it. Good instrumentation, strong melody, crisp production and it doesn't sound as dated as most of its peers. It avoids veering into cheese territory by being just tasteful enough- I've played this track quite a lot.

Remaining bonus tracks were submitted by me.

Scabrous Birdseed
21-09-2004, 20:23:02
9. President Kennedy's Mouth, Gary Gilmore's Eyes, Anna Greta Leijon's Ögon... What's this punk-era fondness for bodyparts anyway? Could do with a bit more drive methinks. Maybe if he shouted more.

10. It's Built to Spill isn't it? For some reason I've taken a really disturbic liking to this kind of melodic, low-key intelligentiapop, which in theory should be something I hate intensely. It's probably the unusual and qualitatively high melodies... Or something. Just the other day I was loving a Flaming Lips album. *shudder*

11. The combination of incredibly noisy garage rock and Beach Boys harmonies sounds appealing in theory but it turns out to be very Blink182 in practice. Which is a bit absurd, I admit.

12. Ah, an oldies radio staple. I recognise it well. It's got that "stand by me"-styled bassline... the "ah" sounds that are really cool... the hipster lyrics... that brilliant chorus... I've got absolutely NO idea what it is. Oh wait, yes I do, I've just looked it up.

13. Best track of the compilation. I recently made a "monotonous and women" compo for a friend and this would have been the key track on there had I known of its existence... It's almost the perfect acoustic track, brimming with intense suppressed energy intoned over a backing that truly compels you to concentrate. Minimal, austere, Suicide-monotonously driving. To use Laz's term, I'd buy this.

14. Bad placement... It's got some qualities reminicent of the last track only less so. It kinda pales in comparison.

15. As does this. Except it also sort of silly yo-ho-ho-and-a-bottle-of-rum-qualities that don't really work. I do like the lyrics but it's more camp-fire that asylum.

16. Anonymous but okay pop. I'm sorry, but I'm kinda losing energy (if you've noticed) and this one just isn't worth working myself up about. I wouldn't switch off the radio if it came on anything and might even grow to like it on repeated listens but it's hardly work fussing over. Mind you, the freak-out bit is quite cute.

Lazarus and the Gimp
23-09-2004, 17:31:52
Going to post RC's reviews?

Scabrous Birdseed
23-09-2004, 17:40:45
Do I have those? Lemme check.

Scabrous Birdseed
23-09-2004, 17:41:29
Noooo.... What gave you that impression?

Lazarus and the Gimp
23-09-2004, 18:55:20
I thought he said he'd sent you all his reviews.

zmama
23-09-2004, 19:12:20
Umm...I left my copy of LWP7 in Hamburg. :o

All I remember is the Zombies track...12 I think. The Zombies were a great underrated band of the time, fantastic cheesy organ bits.

And the other track I remember had to have been Laz's...from my new favorite yet dead artist. I've spent the last two weeks humming it incessantly

Lazarus and the Gimp
23-09-2004, 19:19:59
I'm reasonably certain that all the artists I featured are still alive.

zmama
23-09-2004, 19:30:18
Well then i'm a confused old lady...whats new?

Debaser
24-09-2004, 01:34:50
Ok, i'm going to write my reviews "live" as I listen to them. Might pop into my garden for a spliff first. Sorry for any spelling mistakes...

Debaser
24-09-2004, 02:08:51
Verdict of a wankered Debaser...

9: Ok, this sounds a bit like the Clash when they went shit. Rockabilly is possebly the worst musical genre ever created. I'd rather not ever listen to this song EVER AGAIN.

10. Woah! Bring back that last song! What the fuck is this?? I'm not 16 anymore. This pseudo-intellectual sub-Kula Shaker insipid toss does nothing for me.

11. Now this is more like it. My Blooody Valentine meets Brian Wilson-esque wall of sound pop. Not bad. Ok, I exagerate, but this could be a lot worse...

12. Mine (When Mike did that list of all the previous LWP's I made a playlist of all of my contributions (purely for shits and giggles...) and it was amazing. I laugh at all you fools with your shit music taste...)...

Anyway...

13. See what I mean...

Debaser
24-09-2004, 02:19:39
13. Ctd...

This really is dull. What mood would you ever be in where you'd want to put this on? It's nothing that a decent gin & tonic can't cure...

14. I thought that this would be Kings of Convenience, but alas I was wrong. Whoever's picking these insipid ballads; just start playing some sports, or form a band, or make some friends. ZZZzzZZZzzzZZZ

Debaser
24-09-2004, 02:28:00
15. If I lived my life in a Cohen brothers film then this song would be nice, and it is a nice song, but I don't. Give me something to dance to, or something to get angry about, or something at least to remember. This sounds positevly Wickerman-easque. It's the 21st centuary for fucks sake...

16. I'm too fucked to cast verdict on this song. I think parts of it sound good and parts of it sound bad. i'll reserve judgement...

Debaser
24-09-2004, 02:31:20
16. Ctd...

I just heard the shouty bit in the middle. This song is rubbish.

Scabrous Birdseed
24-09-2004, 11:02:40
Can we have the 1-8 reviews as well please? You're funny when you're tired.

BigGameHunter
27-09-2004, 06:34:12
Yeah, "tired"...ha ha.

Um...no time for this now.
Laz has my track's comments.

I'm in retail management now...what the fuck was I thinking????

Resource Consumer
28-09-2004, 09:44:25
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Do I have those? Lemme check.

I did send them - or was that Part 3....

Scabrous Birdseed
28-09-2004, 09:51:25
It was.

Resource Consumer
28-09-2004, 12:56:13
Whoops - OK. I'll send the last ones tonight or do I have to post them or what

Scabrous Birdseed
28-09-2004, 13:01:22
Post.

Resource Consumer
28-09-2004, 17:02:00
OK - these were done before I went away and I have made no reference to whatever else was in this thread

Track 9 :

This was mine. The excellent Screaming Blue Messiahs. This is “President Kennedy’s Mile” from “Gun Shy”. A definite case of a “whatever happened to” band. After the 2nd album, “Bikini Red” (reputed to be even better and now unobtainable for love or money) they just…..zapped. This was the sort of band I imagine that ZZ Top would have wished to have been (apart from making less dosh of course).

Submitter : Me

Track 10 :

The slight flanging on the vocals just about saves this from sounding like some B-side from a stadium rock band, but only just. The high point is the rather nice backward guitar overdubs. But, inevitably and sadly, guitar wanking takes over. One day people will understand that less is more and that the best firms advertise the least.

Track 11 :

This is the best track on CD2 I think (although track 5 runs it close). Interestingly, the singer sounds like Plastic Bertrand but without the Belgian accent. And the song sounds like good old Plastic Bertrand too – only better. Just good fun and no “pretentious moi” about it at all.

Submitter : Eklektikos

Track 12 :

The initial vocal line sounds as if it was lifted from “You’re the One that I want”. Sing along – “I’ve got chills, they’re multiplying”. After making that connection, it is pretty hard to take any song seriously. That said, the bass line and instrumental break are pretty cool. It would have been better recorded a few months after the keyboard player had got a brand new Hammond – not a few days after. I Just didn’t really like this song. Sorry.

Submitter : Zmama

Track 13 :

A cross between the Banshees and Suzanne Vega! Don’t put me in the nuthouse yet. Musically it sounds very Vega but the vocal delivery sounds like Siouxsie in one of rare soft moods. Just imagine her jamming along with Fat Robert on the guitar and you’ve got it. This is really very very good. I would like to hear more (but less of the milkman whistling on the end)

Submitter : BGH

Track 14 :

I think the singer is drunk here. Either that or he has acquired a delivery that will save him a fortune and his liver. It is harmless enough and atmospheric in the same way that air freshner is. It does not seem to have any structure – no start, middle or end – it just drifts.

Submitter : BGH

Track 15 :

Should I call this country? I don’t know as the label (yeah, I know labels are stupid) will drive some nuts. A bit reminiscent of the style of the Be Good Tanyas or Jolie Holland. Borrows a bit from “Jolene” musically (although not vocally) but it is fine. It has the feeling of being familiar. Well worth checking this out.

Submitter : Zmama.

Track 16 :

The insane genius that is Julian Cope. I recall him seeing him play this at Guildford Civic Hall more years ago then I care to remember. All those “weird and wacky” acts should go back to school and sit at the feet of the man with the leather trousers. This is from “Fried” (I think).

Submitter : Just has to be Laz

BigGameHunter
03-10-2004, 08:06:45
9. The Screaming Blue Messiahs...one of my "old" favorites! Along with a little known band called the Pale Fountains, this band was a great discovery for me back in '88. Great, unique sound, though this song is not the best of their offerings by far.

10. Mine.

11. I like this quite a bit. There's nothing not to like about them. Sounds "oldish" to me...maybe late '80's? Good, aggressive guitars and melodies. It almost verges on a jeans commercial soundtrack, but it's not the song's fault, that's for sure...just the kind of good tune that some huge conglomerate would shamelessly co-opt.

12. One of the best songs ever. I know it sounds trite, but it is surely a transcendent song that ages very well--most of this era has become too cute or too earnest upon reflection. I could see it being adapted in every genre, and, in the right hands, enjoying great success again. Superlative keyboards, vocals, you name it. Let's go patrol the Mekong Delta and smoke some opium in our search for Marlon Brando.

13. Makes me want to cry, really. This kind of music always hits me hard...makes me think of some desperate low moments in life, usually wrapped around a brutal relationship failure or some such. Now that I know it is Mazzy Star, it makes perfect sense. What a sad disappearing act by a great band! Reminds me of a female Mother Love Bone ballad. Not recommended fare for the suicidal or lovelorn.

14. Mark Lanegan--the modern Johnny Cash. A simply amazing voice, steeped in whiskey, cigarettes and an on again off again heroin addiction. I've seen this guy both as the frontman for the Screaming Trees (a highly recommended band to add to your collection) and on his own. He is an imposing figure and definitely one of those men that makes even a card carrying hetero feel odd impulses. Don't know what his deal with the Queens of the Stone Age was, but I rather prefer him on his own. Get everything he's ever done. Like Cash, it sounds a bit familiar after a while, but it's one of those very good familiars--a cool continuity worthy of repetition. He's the Pacific Northwest Voice if there ever was one. Hope he doesn't OD or something...

15. OK...I have this on a previous Laz PYE's comp. I like it a lot. There's a lot of good acoustic guitar in this block, which is certainly one of my favorite things in music. I've always been more interested in lyrics and vocals, so this is a good fix for me. Not the strongest singer in the world, but she's evocative enough for me to want to hear more. Good harmonies here...good to hear that the singer is not dead in music...merely dying.

16. Sounds like a Psychedelic Furs song to start...but quickly gets that mountain top Celtic historical vibe going. I don't know what to think of it really...it reminds me of something that would come out of Subpop records, off a double album compilation...but it wouldn't be in the top half of the best songs.
I don't know...doesn't quite do it for me...maybe the singer doesn't quite register with me, combined with a bit of a droning, uninspired guitar sound that doesn't pick up until the end. It sounds like The Damned after they've gotten religion or had their singer and guitarist killed in a tragic coke snorting contest and replaced them from the fan pool or something. It's not horrible or anything...just a tad "gay".