PDA

View Full Version : They sound like chipmonks.

The Mad Monk
18-09-2004, 13:05:06
Okay.

So I have this "Winrip" program that came with the ASUS motherboard I bought.l

I see that I can use it to record from any source fed into the computer (though they really push the CDs), so I set it up to record a radio talk show I enjoy, set it to the lowest bit rate (hey, it's just talk), and go to work.

I come home to find a 250+ Mb, five hour .mp3. Which is fine.

I play it, and it sounds like David Seville has returned from the grave.

I just spent an hour trying to slow down the playback, but there dosen't seem to be a way.

What's really scary is, I left the file running while searching, and...

I'm starting to understand them.

Help.

Scabrous Birdseed
18-09-2004, 13:54:11
Have you got a DVD drive? PowerDVD (the most common DVD player software unless I'm totally off) does slowed-down playback of MP3 files.

The Mad Monk
18-09-2004, 20:50:30
I don't have that, but I'll look into it -- thanks. :)

What really annoys me is that I know the old windows .wav player had this ability -- why the hell isn't in a program that's supposed to be years beyond that?

Deacon
18-09-2004, 23:28:03
Hm. It could be a problem with sampling rates. Playing a 44100Hz file at 48000Hz might make it sound weird.

protein
18-09-2004, 23:30:13
I don't suppose you have Wavelab or anything do you? It would be really easy to fix.

The Mad Monk
19-09-2004, 06:57:43
Originally posted by Deacon
Hm. It could be a problem with sampling rates. Playing a 44100Hz file at 48000Hz might make it sound weird.

I think that's the basic problem -- it lets you adjuct the sampling rate when recording, but there is no obvious way to adjust it in playback.

You would think it could playback its own file properly but nooooooooooo, they had to spend precious development time making it look cool. :rolleyes:

The Mad Monk
19-09-2004, 06:58:32
Originally posted by protein
I don't suppose you have Wavelab or anything do you? It would be really easy to fix.

No, but I'll check it out, thanks.