PDA

View Full Version : Another video related question

protein
18-09-2004, 00:43:27
Are PCs PAL or NTSC?

If I get, let's say, a DVD from china, would I be able to watch it on my PC DVD player?

The Mad Monk
18-09-2004, 01:34:52
...maybe.

fp
18-09-2004, 09:13:54
Maybe.

Most of the DVD-playing software you can get for your PC can play DVD's from any Region in the world. However, they are fixed so you can only change the Region a certain number of times before it gets locked. There are hacked versions of the software out there that remove this limit, however.

If the DVD player you have on your PC won't play it, then download the free trial of PowerDVD. This is the software I've got and I could play Korean DVD's on it perfectly well.
Get it here: http://www.download.com/PowerDVD/3000-2139-10224763.html?tag=lst-0-2

notyoueither
19-09-2004, 07:14:31
Is this a trick thread?

Vincent
19-09-2004, 07:51:16
Hmm. I'd say PAL and NTSC is a TV/display related protocol, not a media protocol. DVD should be the media and play on any protocol the DVD player supports, for example if the DVD player has PAL output it should pkay on TV. If you can connect a TV set to your PC player it will work. Depending on the region code

notyoueither
20-09-2004, 05:57:04
What Vincent just said is that PAL and NTSC are standards for TVs in North America and Europe respectively. It's a hardware issue.

Your DVDs will be region specific by software. They will only play in a player set for the specific region the disk is encoded for. Or, you need to buy DVDs that play in the region of your player.

Yes, you should be able to watch a DVD from China on your computer... IF you crack the player to ignore regions. Don't ask me how. I've never done it.