PDA

View Full Version : LWP7 part 3 responses

Scabrous Birdseed
14-09-2004, 11:11:27
Post 'em here

My comments for track 6:

Jot this down in the "was listening to at the time, thought a lark to put it on" column. R.D. Burman used to be the king of Bollywood cool in the seventies and eighties and here he does a rare turn performing himself in "Jana, O Meri Jaana" from 1982 flick Sanam Teri Kasam.

Off Universal's excellent, cut-price "The Music of Bollywood" box set which focuses on that oft-neglected experimental period of Hindi film music between the so-called classic era and the more modern, Bhangra-flavoured stuff.

Debaser
14-09-2004, 11:19:24
Track 1.

Banquet by Bloc Party.
I picked it because I think Bloc Party rule, and I believe that soon the whole world (or at least the important bits) will agree with me. All their songs are as good as this.

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-09-2004, 19:14:40
Track 5.

"Out of place" by Sister India.

Sister India have that fabulous tendency to hold the music industry in utter disdain that's typical to a lot of Asian bands in Britain. To the best of my knowledge they're unsigned despite having been a substantial live act for a few years. Mentions of Talvin Singh are on the money because they're close contemporaries of him- emerging from the same Asian Unerground scene in the mid-90's. I saw them live a couple of years ago and they were great- their vocal percussion is tremendous.

It's a bugger getting hold of records, however. This track can be found on the excellent "Asian Underground" sampler CD from Rough Guide Music- it's the only Sister India track on it, but if you liked this then you'll find other tracks you'll love on it.

Funkodrom
15-09-2004, 09:29:24
Track 4 - The Mars Volta, I can't remember the track title.

The Mars Volta are the wierd half of At the Drive-In (the other half being in Sparta) and are joined by Isiah Owens (of the Dub All-Stars, who's absolutely amazing on keyboards) and an amazing drummer. Ok, it's prog, this comes from a 75 min concept album for gods sake! But it's really cool dub prog with a punk heart.

Or... as the critic I linked yesterday put it so beautifully:

A lot of people I know think Mars Volta is the best thing since oral sex. Why does such a shitty band have such a strong following?
-Samadhi

At the core of their beings, a lot of indie-sheep really just want to listen to Pink Floyd like their dads. However, it's seen as direly uncool among indie circles to listen to prog-rock. Therefore, the indie scene had to invent its own hideous bastardization of prog-rock in order to satisfy the dark unconscious urges of all the hipsters out there. This is the only possible explanation for the success of The Mars Volta.

zmama
28-09-2004, 18:00:20
My comment for track 3! (sorry so late I thought Laz was going to post the response I had sent him)

I'm glad so many of you liked it. It's Kitate - by Los Lobos (yes again!) featuring Tom Waits and Martha Gonzales off of the newish Los Lobos cd The Ride. And no not all the songs they do sound like this ;) They are very eclectic and old men and don't really give a shit about commercial. They play what makes them happy.