PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone read Star Wars books?

Sir Penguin
08-09-2004, 02:12:54
I've heard that they're not all amateurish trash like I assume all film-franchise books are (except 2001). Which ones should I read, and in which order?

SP

Venom
08-09-2004, 03:29:44
Timothy Zahn's older books. Let me see if I can recall their names...

Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

Good books. The other Star Wars books are pretty hit and miss. With more miss, I think.

The Mad Monk
08-09-2004, 06:10:57
I liked the ones involving Han Solo in the "Corprate Sector". It was a prequel trilogy, IIRC.

Funkodrom
08-09-2004, 08:33:55
What these guys said.

Also there's a book of short stories about the Bounty Hunters which is pretty good.

JM^3
08-09-2004, 12:01:19
Zahn's books were decent fun, not anything great though

JM

Venom
08-09-2004, 16:40:34
Like anyone is going to believe a J0n Milsasner.

MDA
09-09-2004, 13:23:22
Jan Pilsner?

I'll probably try these. Just got sucked into buying the latest in the Ender's Game series. They get progressively worse, but I can't stop like I did with the Wheel of Time.

Sir Penguin
20-09-2004, 21:07:36
Thanks, I've heard good things about Zahn's Thrawn series (I assume that's what Venom was talking about)--and I like strategy-oriented characters (like Ender).

I've had a long run of books that I just couldn't finish, after almost 20 years of liking everything I've read (except Blue Mars). I have a really hard time reading Cherryh--I read Hellburner, and Hammerfall, but I just couldn't get past the first few pages of Foreigner. I picked up a book of Vernor Vinge's short stories, but the first one is terrible and I think the whole book's going back to the library unread. I have better things to do than sort through crap I don't care about.

Crap I do care about, on the other hand, is great. Discworld's always a good choice. Hell, I even liked Gentry Lee's Rama books when I was younger. So since I love Star Wars, I figure the books will be a sure bet on entertainment, even if it's tripe.

SP

Venom
20-09-2004, 22:31:09
Indeed that is what I am talking about.

JM^3
21-09-2004, 09:42:09
Originally posted by Sir Penguin

I've had a long run of books that I just couldn't finish, after almost 20 years of liking everything I've read (except Blue Mars). I have a really hard time reading Cherryh--I read Hellburner, and Hammerfall, but I just couldn't get past the first few pages of Foreigner. I picked up a book of Vernor Vinge's short stories, but the first one is terrible and I think the whole book's going back to the library unread. I have better things to do than sort through crap I don't care about.

SP [/B]

Well, I love Cherryh, but I have only read 2 of the foreigner books (and have no plans to read the others) and think Hellburner and Hammerfall are some of her good, not great, books.

Great books by her are ones you have not read (Cyteen, Down Below Station, Gate of Ivrel, ....)

It is Vinge's main two novels that everyone likes (Deepness in the Sky and A Fire upon the Deep).

Jon Miller

JM^3
21-09-2004, 09:43:29
I almost picked up the 10th book of the Wheel of Time. It was in paper back, but than I decided that I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it than. I use to love that series and have read the first 5 or so ~9 times...

Jon Miller

Sir Penguin
21-09-2004, 18:46:40
I enjoyed Vinge's other books, too. I even like the ideas in the short story of his that I'm reading (it's about a super-smart chimp named Norman who is trying to escape from the government). It's just very poorly written. It's also the first story he got published, so crappy writing can be forgiven, if not excused.

SP

jsorense
21-09-2004, 19:27:50
The Peace War
by Vinge, Vernor

About this title: War becomes obsolete when people learn they can seal their enemies in impenetrable capsules.

I found this to be an enjoyable tale. Not the same level (pun intended) as his more recent novels.
j