PDA

View Full Version : Is Google evil, or not?

Sir Penguin
06-09-2004, 04:14:36
Some companies, like Cisco, IBM, and to a lesser degree Oracle, have managed to avoid being evil while doing the same sort of crap as Microsoft and Intel. Google, the Light of the Internet, has also kept any blood on their hands out of the public consciousness. Now they're shutting down websites that parody Google (http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040904-4158.html), which is undeniably evil. Can Google stay good now that they have to make money, or do we idealogues have to settle with a crappier service?

SP

Gary
06-09-2004, 08:26:48
All capitalism is inherently evil, surely you know that ?

Uh.. ain't this a Counterpoint thread really ? Being a market / ideology type subject ?

zmama
06-09-2004, 09:36:42
I'd say its gonna be tough for them to stay good. Wall Street thinks that Google is nuts for their "Do no evil" stance

Asher
06-09-2004, 22:05:53
Wall Street thought it was a good idea to invest in Dot Coms excessively.

Morte
06-09-2004, 22:42:35
Evil

Darkstar
07-09-2004, 16:52:58
Pengy... Oracle is *super evil*. It's as dark as Microsoft ever was.

Google will get mean. I don't know about "evil". Shutting down parady sites is not evil... its just mean. Evil is hiring the key guys behind your competition, patenting electricity and binary, and then charging the world to use anything derived from those patents.

Darkstar
07-09-2004, 16:54:02
Gary, obviously the Artic Knight desired a serious conversation about this. Hence, it being here and not in main. ;)

Sir Penguin
07-09-2004, 19:16:57
Oracle is only seen as evil because they have a specifically targetted product that is used widely by people whose requirements would be better suited by something else, and Oracle doesn't do anything for them. But you're right, it doesn't really fit in that list. I was struggling to find a different company, but couldn't think of one. Maybe AMD would have been better.

SP

Asher
07-09-2004, 19:23:19
AMD supports Palladium/TCPA.

As does IBM and Cisco, which makes them evil according to the open source tinfoil hat community. ;)

Sir Penguin
07-09-2004, 20:01:10
Yeah, but they aren't seen as evil.

And IBM supports Linux, which basically makes anything they do non-evil. They could poison thousands of semiconducter workers and rape them in the skulls, and they would still get the support of the Open Source community.

SP

Funkodrom
07-09-2004, 21:18:01
Anyone who is an exclusive M$ or Open Source or any particular software vendor fundamentalist is just an idiot who should be ignored.

Deacon
07-09-2004, 22:35:40
I think of Intel as Big & Bad, but not really evil. Oracle is certainly evil. I think there was a scandal a few years back when the State of California tried to do a sweetheart deal with Oracle that would have purchased more licenses than there were employees of the entire organization.

TCPA could quickly become evil if the "untainted" systems are outlawed and/or blocked by customs.

As for Google, I think they can do no wrong as long as their search engine is still better than the alternatives.