PDA

View Full Version : 50 cent bottled off at Reading

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-08-2004, 08:48:14
50 CENT was dramatically booed off stage tonight at the CARLING WEEKEND: READING festival (August 29).

The rapper was pelted with a shower of plastic bottles from the angry crowd, and even had a camping chair thrown at him, forcing the star to walk off after just twenty five minutes of his Main Stage set.

50 and his G-Unit crew were hit by a rain of bottles as they came onstage, and they even started to pick up the missiles and hurl them back towards the front rows.

Chants of “50 Cent is a wanker” were heard and the group were jeered and heckled throughout the short appearance.

Attempting to placate the thousands of people, the rapper said: “We’re just all here to have fun”, and even taunted them by challenging them to all put their middle fingers in the air.

One festival goer told NME.COM: “What was he even doing up there? It was the worst thing I’ve ever seen.”

After playing hits including ’In Da Club’, ’21 Questions’ and ’P.I.M.P’, 50 thanked the crowd and promptly walked off.

The star started his set at 8.10pm, twenty minutes earlier than scheduled, and left at 8.35pm. According to the stage times, he was due to play between 8.30pm and 9.30pm.

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-08-2004, 08:49:33
Funny. These rappers, eh? Got their Glocks and Uzis, but the first sight of a camping chair and a plastic bottle half-full of wee and they run away screaming like girls.

fp
30-08-2004, 09:07:01
:lol::lol:

Attempting to placate the thousands of people, the rapper said: “We’re just all here to have fun”

I bet the crowd were having great fun. :D

protein
30-08-2004, 10:13:47
That happened to that crap girlie pop duo a couple of years ago too. What were they called again? Shirlie and Sue or something.

Sometimes you can tell that some manager or record label with a massive amount of industry clout has bargained an act onto a festival stage.

Debaser
30-08-2004, 10:45:38
Daphne & Celeste. They were good.

PosterBoy
30-08-2004, 12:14:22
You're Ugly

*End Is Forever*
30-08-2004, 12:21:51
I think there's a difference between attacking a pair of slightly-naive teenage girls and attacking someone that likes to pretend he's a gangsta or something.

*End Is Forever*
30-08-2004, 12:33:05
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3610484.stm

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-08-2004, 12:45:14
When the Sex Pistols reformed, they had a lot of stuff lobbed at them. However, in a show of what distinguishes men from boys, Steve Jones just headed the incoming missiles back into the crowd and carried on playing.

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-08-2004, 12:48:04
In a similar event, L7 got a barrage of mud thrown at them when they played Reading. The guitarist just reached down the front of her jeans, extracted her tampon, and threw it back at a persistant offender.

protein
30-08-2004, 13:21:20
Not quite. I don't remember any mud being thrown and the tampon throw wasn't very accurate. It was more of a random affair. Thankfully I was about 100 yards from ground zero.

BigGameHunter
30-08-2004, 15:45:33
Good clean family fun, eh?

Sheesh...I'm starting to doubt some stereotypes here...you folks seem like its just gravy or gruel, all the time.

Angelhorns
30-08-2004, 23:57:03
this is why festivals are wrong.

BigGameHunter
31-08-2004, 00:20:15
Well, I doubt we'd do that to YOUR rap stars, if ya had any!

Immortal Wombat
31-08-2004, 06:39:05
50 Cent Bottled Out Of Reading.

And writing.

So he became a rapper.

I thought his name looked a little out of place on the billing when it came out. Just as Daphne and Celeste did. Is it the manager who has the industry clout, or is it the festival organisers just needing someone to absorb the inevitable pile-up of bottles of wee, and prefering to know when and to whom it's going to happen?

Angelhorns
31-08-2004, 07:39:43
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Well, I doubt we'd do that to YOUR rap stars, if ya had any!

It wouldnt work having East Anglian or West country rap. Unless you count the Wurzels.

Funkodrom
31-08-2004, 09:03:16
Guns don't kill rappers, bottles do!

It was an amazing sight. Great work kids. :beer:

BigGameHunter
31-08-2004, 09:24:47
Uh...aside from his brand of rap being totally crap, what was the reason for this???
Seems like everyone was loaded for bear before he even started?

The good news is, I'm sure you all will me immortalized in an expletive strewn song on his next "album", tentatively titled:
"Reading Ghetto Ho's Suk My Black Cock, Boyeeeeeez!"

fp
31-08-2004, 09:40:52
Uh...aside from his brand of rap being totally crap, what was the reason for this???

Perhaps because it seemed obvious that the only reason he was playing the festival was because his promoter had paid the organisers lots of money, rather than because anybody actually wanted to see him perform.

Funkodrom
31-08-2004, 09:55:56

No other reason. Just complete lack of credibility, he's basically seen as a pop act here and Reading Festival goers have always considered it a rock festival even though it's more varied these days.

Some idiot journalists interviewed some of my friends about it and said "is it because he's black?" and they said, well Jurassic 5 and The Roots played on the same stage and didn't get bottled off... whereas The Rasmus (who are white) did. Didn't seem to be the answer the journo wanted.

And this is what I said on the Reading local band forum about it:

50 Cent was great, he had a stack of bottles at the side of the stage, as soon as he came on he opened some and hurled them into the crowd, it was the most amazing sight as the kids unleashed the bottle storm.

There were some tearful moments before he came on as our brave lads headed to the front loaded up with bottles to cheers and shouts of "conserve your ammo" and "get him for me".

Anyway he gained a lot of respect for weathering the storm for as long as he did. Most of the crowd didn't think he'd left the stage early, we all thought he'd ridden it out to the end. The general feeling afterwards was, "Damn, he beat us. Fair play to him."

Oh and I heard that The Rasmus are changing their name to The Radcliffes.

Funkodrom
31-08-2004, 13:49:33
Some more festival guff here:

http://www.coments.com/

King_Ghidra
31-08-2004, 14:21:34
was only there for the saturday but my verdicts:

bloc party - great fun, great atmosphere, not totally convinced by all their songs but the best ones are certainly very good. Ditto mike on the strange sensation of watching a band at a festival who you have previously seen in someone's living room (well not quite but nearly :))

razorlight - crap version of the libertines. lead singer committed the cardinal sin of getting rid of the band and playing a slow acoustic track. self indulgent wanker.

har mar superstar - good fun, great crowd response, although
the missus and i agreed something was lacking compared to his morning slot at glastonbury last year

franz ferdinand - did a brilliant job - looked tight, got the crowd involved, great set.

libertines - a solid set, but i was far too stoned to really enjoy it

morrissey - as a non-fan, this was an extremely pleasant surprise to me. some mates of mine are big fans and so lately i have heard a lot more of his music, but this was somethign of a watershed for me, i thnk i'll be buying some albums of his soon.

white stripes - amazing as always, the very definition of a must see live act. too too good and played some covers which is always nice

Funkodrom
31-08-2004, 14:26:33
I basically missed most of Saturday due to getting too drunk too early.

King_Ghidra
31-08-2004, 14:40:02
i'll try and attach some images:

outside the main arena there was what appeared to be a 24hr air guitar contest run by some american guys. very funny.

King_Ghidra
31-08-2004, 14:41:31
me and the missus:

King_Ghidra
31-08-2004, 14:42:08
franz ferdinand (they're in there somewhere :D)

King_Ghidra
31-08-2004, 14:43:03
evening pic, i like this because of the blur it looks shell is smoking an enormous reefer

Funkodrom
31-08-2004, 14:57:33
Rebus signed me up to do Back in Black on the air guitar stage. I responded with. "Fuck off!" and "No way" and missed my appointed slot.

BigGameHunter
31-08-2004, 16:18:24
KG looks like Ringo Star.
Everyone is dressed very drearily...where's the color?
Errrr....looks like it was fun.

Funkodrom
31-08-2004, 16:28:47
Everyone was covered in mud!

Funkodrom
31-08-2004, 16:31:08
http://www.bbc.co.uk:80/berkshire/content/images/2004/08/31/50_cent2_225x300.jpg

Lazarus and the Gimp
31-08-2004, 16:45:08
Originally posted by Angelhorns
It wouldnt work having East Anglian or West country rap. Unless you count the Wurzels.

Or Massive Attack. Or Tricky.

Angelhorns
31-08-2004, 17:07:40
ah thats true! But I feel they are exceptions, they're not quite as hard as Ice-T or even Eminem really

Angelhorns
31-08-2004, 17:11:19
Originally posted by Funkodrom

Some idiot journalists interviewed some of my friends about it and said "is it because he's black?" and they said, well Jurassic 5 and The Roots played on the same stage and didn't get bottled off... whereas The Rasmus (who are white) did. Didn't seem to be the answer the journo wanted.

:lol:

I would have said no, it was because he was shit.

Funkodrom
31-08-2004, 19:20:02
Actually... that might be what they said.

Eklektikos
31-08-2004, 22:06:21
Aside from spending 6 hours searching for wellies in Reading town centre on friday morning I really enjoyed the festival. Didn't manage to catch as many bands as I'd hoped due to scheduling clashes but here's a run down of what I did see...

Pretty Girls Make Graves: Played a good selection of some of their catchier songs but packed slightly less punch than when I last saw them due to the mysterious absence of their second guitarist

Peaches: From what little I saw of her set she seemed to be quite a riot. Silly but fun.

Danko Jones: Enjoyable but probably only as a one off thing. Too much big mouthed testosterone driven aggression for my tastes, although they did have some half-decent songs. Think along the lines of The Blues Explosion with Henry Rollins standing in for Jon Spencer.

McLusky: Third time I've seen them in roughly a year and they still impress me. Energetic, slightly deranged and very, very fun.

The 5, 6, 7, 8s: Decidedly better than I remember them being in Kill Bill. A good, upbeat start to the day.

The Icarus Line: I know from experience that these guys can be great live, but not this time. Boring performance consisting almost exclusively of their lacklustre new material.

Har Mar Superstar: First time I've ever really seen or heard him play and probably the most fun I had all weekend. Great performance from the man himself, although I have to admit to finding myself frequently distracted by lustful thoughts regarding the absolutely gorgeous bassist.

The Roots: Another new experience for me and another very positive one. Funky, danceable music played by great musicians - who could ask for more?

The Dillinger Escape Plan: First time I'd seen them perform their new material live and despite my slight reservations about the distinctly melodic turn they seem to have taken I have to say I was very impressed. Their new singer gets extra points for managing to pull off the extremely challenging vocals on the song they played from the Mike Patton EP.

Morrissey: Much better live performer than I'd anticipated. Smiths album ownership here I come.

The White Stripes: I've always had a strage aversion to the incest twins but after this weekend I must admit that they are a very compelling live act. Still not going to buy any of their albums though.

Lostprophets: Last time I saw this lot was a couple of years ago at the extremely pokey Peel in Kingston, so seeing them playing on such a huge stage to an enormous crowd was quite a strange experience. Back then they sounded a bit like an updated version of late 80s Faith No More (which I at least thought was a good thing), whereas now they just sound like every other dull nu-metal band out there. A pity.

Placebo: I remember loving these guys when their first album came out and then losing interest around about the time that they released their second, so I was quite pleasantly surprised to discover that they're actually a rather good live band. Good songs, odd little man, great set.

Mike Patton & Rahzel: Equal parts amazing and hilarious. For the most part the set consisted of Patton crooning, gibbering and making various other strange (but always oddly appropriate) sounds backed up by Rahzel's positively awe-inspiring beatboxing. Highlights included covers of the White Stripes' 7 Nation Army & Aqua's Barbie Girl as well as the spectacle of Rahzel seemlessly providing beats & bassline as well as singing lyrics, all using nothing more than his mouth and a microphone.

King_Ghidra@home
01-09-2004, 07:13:41
damn didn't know rahzel was at the festival this year, i would have loved to see that

Gramercy Riffs
01-09-2004, 12:25:09
British Sea Power were really good. I'd only heard of them before (K_G is a fan I think, though that could be Electric Soft Parade, I always confuse them for some reason). I'll be buying their album (BSP not ESP, unless I get them confused again in HMV.)

Debaser
01-09-2004, 15:56:46
See Fifty Cent get bottled for yourselves...

www.jonsmith.plus.com/fifty_cent_bottled_reading04.mpeg
link stolen from Popbitch.com

King_Ghidra
01-09-2004, 16:10:50
Originally posted by Gramercy Riffs
British Sea Power were really good. I'd only heard of them before (K_G is a fan I think, though that could be Electric Soft Parade, I always confuse them for some reason). I'll be buying their album (BSP not ESP, unless I get them confused again in HMV.)

i'm a fan of both, but yeah BSP produced one of the albums of the year last year

Funkodrom
01-09-2004, 16:29:43
Originally posted by Debaser
See Fifty Cent get bottled for yourselves...

www.jonsmith.plus.com/fifty_cent_bottled_reading04.mpeg
link stolen from Popbitch.com

Wow.

Angelhorns
01-09-2004, 18:06:44
yeah! I'm surprised actually, its a popular act and Reading is fairly eclectic these days.

King_Ghidra@home
01-09-2004, 18:17:22
50 cent may be popular but not amongst the prevalent crowd at Reading on a sunday, i.e. metal fans

and 50 cent is the kind of rapper who is even hated by many rap fans - that is the kind who seems to rely more on living off the odd hit single rather than by demonstrating an appreciable talent

compare and contrast with the streets who played on the same day and were not bottled, who possess a good deal of self-mockery and self-reflection and don't think they are god's gift

50 cent he would no doubt get a good reception at T4's pop beach or something, where the cult of celebrity is more valued than the actual music produced

in fact to the average black eyelinered sunday festival goer 50 cent represents something fairly close to the anti christ, a performer whose sole interest is to make money and succeed in a society they reject the values of

Angelhorns
01-09-2004, 20:40:35
Hmm, maybe. I think it probably has more to do with the display of pomp and ego than the fact its a rap act- it estranges the audience. I'm not so sure that the average festival goer is trying to 'reject the societal values' appropriated by rappers or is so into metal they can't bear anything else- most people arent that cliched and are a bit of a mix of tastes and influences, open to seeing new people at these events. There were lots of acts on the bill that weren't metal or alternative per se- The Streets being one. It doesnt explain why the Rasmus were bottled either as they are typical indie kid fare- I imagine, speculatively, that they got it because they are seen as tweenie alternative pretenders, poncing around with feathers in their hair. But then I wasn't there.

*End Is Forever*
01-09-2004, 23:02:21
I've been told that 50 Cent came out and started chucking bottles at the kids at the front who were waiting for Green Day. In which case, he deserves all he fucking gets.

Funkodrom
02-09-2004, 08:30:33
That is technically true but ignores the fact that the kids were pelting the stage with about a million bottles a minute before he even took the stage, he was just retaliating.

Scabrous Birdseed
02-09-2004, 09:14:17
Jurassic 5 and The Roots are both white-oriented acts to be fair, doing toned-down pap for the arch-conservative Rock crowd. Reading, being the final bastion of the Raegan-kid disco-sucks mentality pretty obviously went for destroying what they didn't understand.

They seem to have understood The Rasmus perfectly though. :D

Can I put my Leeds reviews in here? It's a pretty crap festival but I couldn't get Reading tickets.

Scabrous Birdseed
02-09-2004, 09:42:58
Although I did enjoy the Roots set. But it was 70s wanker-metal, not hip-hop.

Funkodrom
02-09-2004, 09:44:51
Yes, it was wasn't it. Very unexpected but really good.

*End Is Forever*
02-09-2004, 10:15:26
Publish an article for Leeds, follow in illustrious footsteps...

Angelhorns
02-09-2004, 19:51:43
Maybe we should bottle politicians off stage when they make election speeches. I'd like to see Bush get hit with a bottle of fetid wee.

Funkodrom
03-09-2004, 08:32:31
I don't think that'll be happening at the Republican convention...

More likely to happen to Blair at the Labour one.

Scabrous Birdseed
03-09-2004, 11:46:48
Maybe we could all publish a big Leeds/Reading review together.

Funkodrom
03-09-2004, 11:48:22
Maybe... I've already put a load of shit on here:

http://www.coments.com/

Angelhorns
04-09-2004, 23:38:29
can I just point out that comments has two m's?

Sorry...its been frustrating me for days.

Angelhorns
04-09-2004, 23:40:38
now I've opened the link, I see its an amalgamation of communication and entertainment....still going to annoy me though...there's two m's in communication too....

*bangs head against wall for an hour to take away the hurt*

Funkodrom
05-09-2004, 20:56:46
I suspect that comments.com was registered.

protein
05-09-2004, 21:47:23
I just caught up with coments.com

I nearly wet myself when I read Ever since I discovered that in the Turks lager was £1.54 and you could get a double gin and tonic for only 20p more than a single it seems too cheap not to go, plus they have a toilet with a seat so I can go for a poo.

I think I might have been brain damaged in my fight today. :clueless:

Funkodrom
05-09-2004, 21:59:46
:D

I enjoyed writing that one, always fun to have a good moan.

BigGameHunter
06-09-2004, 07:40:46
Bar pooping is dangerous game, people.
Go prepared!