PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock Holmes

Japher
24-08-2004, 22:43:46
I just finished reading A Study in Scarlet. I have never read a single one of Doyles works before, and must say that it was great.

I have a strange mix of books I like to read. I read very little fantasy or sci-fi, but when I do it is only off of recommendations. I read the HArry Potter books, but generally stick to old classics that make you feel smart for having read them. My favorite author is Hemingway, and have read most of his. OThers I have enjoyed; Albert Camus, Victor Hugo, Joseph Conrad, John Steinbeck, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Sumerset Maughm (spelling?), EA Poe and RIchard Wright.

The only modern day writters I have really liked are Michner and the guy who wrote Pillars of the Earth and Flight of the INtruder (the name escapes me)

Those who most people like and I don't; Robert L. Stevenson, Melville, and that guy who wrote The House of Seven Gabels (another slip).

However, Doyle's name will be added to my list of likes. I have his whole collection, volume 1 only, so about half, and am starting "The Sign of FOur".

WHen does Moriarti come in?

Also, any good books that you think will suit my taste, be let me know.

Angelhorns
24-08-2004, 23:33:30
you might like WIlkie Collins The Moonstone and The Woman in WHite, they were the original mystery/detective stories.

Angelhorns
24-08-2004, 23:35:20
Also, if you ever find yourself in London, go to the Sherlock Hlmes museum (located at 221B Baker St) as its fab and you can touch all the stuff like his hypodermic needles and slippers and violin etc, and it sells antique jewellery and things and they all dress up as Victorians!

MOBIUS
24-08-2004, 23:59:01
But remember he's not a real person AH...;)

Resource Consumer
25-08-2004, 00:15:56
Wow - Marks and Sparks are really spreading out :D

Sir Penguin
25-08-2004, 06:13:36
I saw the Sign of Four movie the other week. Matt Frewer does a good Holmes. I think I've seen The 7% Solution, too (I have if that's the one with a big train chase and a hypnotist).

SP

The Mad Monk
25-08-2004, 07:18:57
IIRC, Moriarty only comes in towards the end, when Doyle was tiring of Holmes and decided to kill him off, but needed a suitable villain to do the deed.

While he hints at a rivalry in that story, and the one where he "resurects" Holmes, it's just that -- hints.

The Moriarty you know is pretty much a Hollywood invention.

The Mad Monk
25-08-2004, 07:21:11
The 7% Solution was okay, but you have to keep in mind that it isn't canon by any measure.

King_Ghidra
25-08-2004, 12:58:15
Originally posted by Japher

Those who most people like and I don't; [...] Melville

Although i think Moby Dick is an amazing book (and i assume when you say Melville you mean Moby Dick) i can understand why someone wouldn't like it - it is tortuously long for a start, and tends to ramble off in bizarre drections at any moment. In fact reading Moby Dick is rather like speaking to an eccentric grandparent.
I found it quite charming, but i tended to read it in bursts rather than in one go, it was just too much like hard work.

However at uni i started reading Melville's The Confidence Man, a tale of the devil on a steamship, expecting good things, and i found it pretty unrewarding.

Japher
25-08-2004, 17:23:38
Yup, that's how I felt about Moby Dick. I could see it being interesting if you were REALLY REALLY REALLY into whaling, but then, not many ppl are. I just don't think it should be hailed as big of a classic it is.

JM^3
25-08-2004, 18:09:04
I have disliked all three Melville books I hvae read

Jon Miller

Angelhorns
25-08-2004, 23:13:18
I think Melville is famous because he's very much in the tradition of 'man against nature' thats so popular in American fiction and was being written about in the new tradition of American novels that emerged at that time- a lot of classic novels from that period in the American canon seem a bit of a let down in retrospect. Last of the Mohicans is abysmal, in fact Mark Twain wrote a hilarious essay on exactly why it was so abysmal (men disguising themselves as beavers and getting away with it for one)at the time, but it and Moby Dick represent several of the essential themes of Am Lit that still persist today, and which were massively popular at the time, like the existence of the dark skinned ethnic 'other' who is equated with the unnatural, and the wildness of nature and the necessity of conquering it, as well as the Romantic adventure/adventurer and the importance of self-reliance and- Independence.
I like the idea of the devil on a steamship though- did they turn that into Ghost Ship? (Ghost Shit as its known in our household)

Angelhorns
25-08-2004, 23:16:13
Originally posted by MOBIUS
But remember he's not a real person AH...;)

You should tell the Japanese, they have tons of letters written to Sherlock every year from Japan.

Noisy
26-08-2004, 21:50:51
Recommendation: Mario Puzo 'Fools Die'

The Mad Monk
28-08-2004, 08:28:48
I liked Moby Dick mostly, but there were times when I was just slogging through, hoping to get to better stuff.

Anyone read Billy Budd? I thought that wasn't bad at all.

The Mad Monk
28-08-2004, 08:30:35
For me, Jeremy Brett will always be the quintessential Holmes

jsorense
28-08-2004, 15:46:22
Amen Brother The Mad Monk.:beer:

Mr. Bas
31-08-2004, 13:36:31
Most of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes work was pretty enjoyable IMO. It is a couple of years ago that I last read something by him, but from what I remember, there are preciously few stories involving Moriarty.

Funkodrom
31-08-2004, 13:38:01
Originally posted by Angelhorns
You should tell the Japanese, they have tons of letters written to Sherlock every year from Japan.

I bet they are embarassed when they read The Final Problem.

Angelhorns
31-08-2004, 17:12:43
and find out what- thats he's fictional, or that he's been dead for approximately 100 years?

Funkodrom
31-08-2004, 19:21:25
I'm never letting you near a kid who's writing a letter to Santa!

jsorense
31-08-2004, 19:24:13
I thought "The Lost World" was a lot of fun too, in a sort on pre-adolescent boyish adventure kind of way.:cute: