PDA

View Full Version : LWP 7 CD 2 tracks 1-8, Get Down On It

Scabrous Birdseed
24-08-2004, 08:20:27
No-one seems to have grabbed this section, but I feel someone ought to.

It could be me but then chances are you wouldn't get anything back until Tuesday a week from today (going to britain). If that works I set the deadline to:

MONDAY 30 AUGUST 2004

Reviews sent out tuesday/wednesday, comments wanted back for thursday.

Funkodrom
24-08-2004, 08:23:43
Shit...

I'm not going to have much time, that only gives me 2 days but I'll try.

Resource Consumer
24-08-2004, 17:03:47
Thanks - mine are sent

Lazarus and the Gimp
31-08-2004, 21:43:42
Right- when you said Tuesday, which Tuesday did you mean?

zmama
31-08-2004, 21:51:06
Haven't seen him back on since the 24th. Maybe it's time to send Alsie out looking? ;)

BigGameHunter
01-09-2004, 00:49:58
OK...my comp just got running again today (I hope--haven't actually hooked it up to a monitor yet, so all I know is I have power now). There is no way in hell I'm going to get this out today...possible tomorrow.
Or should someone else (NOT ME!) take this section?

Funkodrom
01-09-2004, 08:24:25
I haven't had time to do mine yet...

Debaser
01-09-2004, 10:58:27
Nor me.

King_Ghidra
01-09-2004, 11:09:09
me either

zmama
01-09-2004, 12:42:37
:lol:

And here I was feeling very guilty for not sending mine in until Tues.

Funkodrom
01-09-2004, 14:12:08
We've been away all weekend.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-09-2004, 16:29:57
That's OK. I mean, it's not like you had any sort of knowledge beforehand that at some point you'd have to form an opinion and write it down, is it?

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-09-2004, 16:31:30
Could you all form an orderly queue to receive your sound thrashings, please? It's brutal, but it's for your own good.

Funkodrom
01-09-2004, 16:33:22
Point taken but this was a very short deadline. From when the deadline was announced 'till the end of the deadline I had one day when I was able to look at it, which ended up being flat out and I've not had time to do them at work today or yesterday and I haven't been at home other than to sleep any day since the deadline was announced.

Should be able to get time to do them tomorrow during the day hopefully.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-09-2004, 16:36:14
Given that the editor of this section is AWOL, I don't think much harm has been done.

zmama
01-09-2004, 16:38:36
Damn...you mean you aren't gonna spank them?!

Funkodrom
01-09-2004, 16:41:58
We can't afford him.

BigGameHunter
01-09-2004, 18:21:25
Yeah...send in the intern!

King_Ghidra@home
01-09-2004, 18:44:06
zmama can give us our spanking when she touches down in the UK :cute:

zmama
01-09-2004, 19:08:53
Line up boys!

King_Ghidra@home
01-09-2004, 19:12:47
Hot damn! :o

Scabrous Birdseed
02-09-2004, 09:05:45
I missed a plane at Stansted, returned home to find myself suspended from my course for two weeks for insubordination, me and my radio station are both in the process of moving, and suddenly I found myself with no access to an internet computer anywhere except the public library.

Considering I have four sets of reviews despite the deadline being two days ago this appears to matter little.

New deadline: Saturday noon.

Debaser
02-09-2004, 10:40:10
Exactly why were you suspended? sounds interesting...

Scabrous Birdseed
02-09-2004, 11:27:00
I shouted at a guest lecturer. Because of what was described as "professional disagreements" at the disciplinary committee meeting, but in reality consisted of her writing an article slagging off my course and me telling her to go stuff it up her arse.

Debaser
02-09-2004, 11:34:08

Funkodrom
02-09-2004, 12:00:42
:lol: :beer:

Lazarus and the Gimp
02-09-2004, 18:46:20
That's brilliant. Did you do it in front of a decent-sized audience?

Funkodrom
03-09-2004, 09:28:54
Reviews sent

Scabrous Birdseed
03-09-2004, 11:56:13
There's about 22 hours left until deadline punks.

Funkodrom
03-09-2004, 11:57:46
Yeah, you no-good haven't sent your reviews in yet losers!

:nervous:

Scabrous Birdseed
04-09-2004, 11:58:18
I still only have five sets of reviews. While it would be possible to do it based on those it'd make for a bad article, so from now on the deadline is rolling: as soon as I get in two more sets, I compile and send out. If you miss out, too bad.

BigGameHunter
04-09-2004, 16:59:24
Oh, please...I'll have mine in by the end of the day.
Between a broken PC, kids, one crap job and interviewing/negotiating another job, haven't had a lot of time this week.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-09-2004, 18:52:19
Right- name the lame.

Scabrous Birdseed
04-09-2004, 19:05:31
Me, You, Funko, zmama, Keith.

Oh wait, you mean the people who haven't submitted.

Debaser
King_Ghidra
Foetus
Mr Bas
protein
Eklektikos
BigGameHunter

Foetus
05-09-2004, 10:48:41
I'm afraid I 'shan't be offering any reviews at this juncture, as CD2 has decided to conceal itself from even the most rigourous of searches. (Probably hiding in plain view somewhere, but I'm buggered if I can find it)

BigGameHunter
05-09-2004, 18:52:57
I am having absolutely horrendous software issues right now--have had to reload the whole crapball on my computer. However, I am sending you my reviews now.

Scabrous Birdseed
05-09-2004, 19:16:47
Thank you... One more and I compile.

Funkodrom
07-09-2004, 13:02:43
Just compile it now, otherwise this'll never happen.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-09-2004, 16:06:45
Oi. Reading pikeys. You're being shown up by the rest of humanity.

Funkodrom
07-09-2004, 16:07:58
I still have protein's CDs. :)

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-09-2004, 16:11:09
Didn't you have to download and compile his tracks for him too?

Funkodrom
07-09-2004, 16:11:30
Yep. Well, he e-mailed them to me and I did offer to put them on a CD to save postage.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-09-2004, 16:14:23
Do you do his ironing for him too?

Funkodrom
07-09-2004, 16:15:26
Me? Ironing!

I don't even iron my own stuff.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-09-2004, 16:29:03
Ah yes. "Rumpled chic".

Funkodrom
07-09-2004, 16:32:04
Scruffy / lazy.

zmama
07-09-2004, 17:24:12
Laz you will probably have to send Scabby my short synopsis of song 2. I won't be online much longer today and then I'll be away for two weeks. I'd write it again but I'm lazy and way too busy

BigGameHunter
07-09-2004, 17:24:16
I had a dream last night that featured Laz. It was sort of a shadowy/scary modern vampire feeling dream that had us sitting in a coffee shop talking about bands and drugs and such.
He was wearing something that looked like it was from the "Bad Boys" vampire movie/Columbine collection. Spectales, shaved head, black duster, jump boots.
Pretty stylish.

zmama
07-09-2004, 17:26:53
Well a sight better than AH's dream about K_G, dontcha think?

BigGameHunter
07-09-2004, 17:36:07
That sort of dream falls into the "nightmare" category.
Now, AH's bared norks...that's a different story.

Unfortunately, I suffer from a marked lack of erotic dreams. :(

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-09-2004, 18:49:39
Originally posted by zmama
Laz you will probably have to send Scabby my short synopsis of song 2. I won't be online much longer today and then I'll be away for two weeks. I'd write it again but I'm lazy and way too busy

No problem. I've got it saved.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-09-2004, 19:02:11
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
I had a dream last night that featured Laz. It was sort of a shadowy/scary modern vampire feeling dream that had us sitting in a coffee shop talking about bands and drugs and such.
He was wearing something that looked like it was from the "Bad Boys" vampire movie/Columbine collection. Spectales, shaved head, black duster, jump boots.
Pretty stylish.

I can cure you.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-09-2004, 19:03:50
My thighs look colossal at the best of times, but in that shot they appear to be about twice the circumference of my head. That can't be right.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-09-2004, 19:05:01
Now this is style.

BigGameHunter
07-09-2004, 23:33:19
That's pretty much how I pictured you (first pic) in my dream. We had a good time running around town and causing mischief.
Your head does look a bit small in comparison to your simian arms and legs. Now, mine looks like an olive perched on top of a beach ball, so no need to take that personally, BTW. And is that natural gray in there, or some kind of churlish affectation?

Are there no trees in your land? Where are the trees?
If I showed you a picture of me camping you'd feel like you were looking at one of those optical illusion pics, trying to pick something out of a mass of foliage.

Funkodrom
08-09-2004, 08:19:42
That's perspective. Laz's campsite looks nearly as luxurious as the one we had at Reading Festival.

Lazarus and the Gimp
08-09-2004, 16:24:33
Yes, that's very natural grey in the hair. It's a campsite, rather than the great outdoors, hence the lack of trees. They're just glorified shantytowns, but at least you don't have psychotic farmers taking pot-shots at you.

BigGameHunter
08-09-2004, 16:40:11
What's the fun of that?

Can you go into deep woods in England? That would be a tragic loss if you couldn't...
I guess we're spoiled here. Mountains, desert, ocean...pretty much the gamut of topography, all within a couple hour's drive.

Scabrous Birdseed
09-09-2004, 11:20:45
:cry:

BigGameHunter
09-09-2004, 19:09:34
Did you lose the reviews or what?

Scabrous Birdseed
09-09-2004, 19:30:19
No, people aren't sending them to me. :cry:

BigGameHunter
09-09-2004, 19:57:22
You were recently directed to compile what you have nonetheless.
I'm afraid this will have to go into your performance file.
Comply! Compile! Complain!

Foetus
11-09-2004, 11:02:07
You've a long way to go in the grey stakes to catch me up, young fellermelad.

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-09-2004, 12:16:04
Right. I'm off out soon, and I'll be back tomorrow afternoon. If there's been no developments in that time, I'll post my reviews for tracks 3, 4, 5, and 6 in a thread.

I'll post the reviews for tracks 1, 2, 7 and 8 when the submitters of those tracks pull their fingers out and get reviews in. Which might be never, of course, but that's their problem.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-09-2004, 16:04:27
Oh sod it. I'll just post the lot.

Track 1

There was a time when I thought that all these Gang Of Four-aping post-punk revivalists would never come up with a decent song even if their lives depended on it. That all changed when I saw Bloc Party on MTV, and the very next day Debaser sent me this song by them. It's great- they've got that edgy nervous energy down perfectly, and they're aided significantly by the fact that they've got a great singer. I'm buying the album.

2- This is a lovely one- delicately played and delicately observed with beautiful lyrics. She's not the strongest singer in the world, but with material as good as this it doesn't really matter. Immersive singer-songwriter stuff.

3- My reaction on first hearing this was "What the fuck was that?". It's proved a grower, because I now love it. It's like the soundtrack to the world's drunkest carnival, with arguments breaking out and things flying off at tangents before lurching back on course. I particularly like the way that it keeps failing to end, as if the participants are all too bladdered to work out how to stop playing. In fact I bet they're still playing it now, occasionally breaking off to throw things and shout stuff in Spanish. Good fun.

4- Eeeeek! Prog-rock! Hide!

Sounds like an American attempt at Muse, only even more ludicrously overblown.

5- Mine!

6- This is all over the place. It starts off as a mid-60's comedy thriller soundtrack, before blasting off down to Tijuana to hang out on the beach. Then the Bollywood strings kick in, and we're in Bombay Cheese Central. Viewed from a position of clinical detachment it's all a bit silly- it's like watching an Indian musical but without any hot chicks in saris to gawp at. Wouldn't be troubled if I never heard this track again, especially as it was such a bitch to blend into the compilation.

7- Interesting oriental intro which goes on to colour this moodily funky instrumental. It's all done very nicely, but is diverting rather than enthralling. Good bassline and percussion, however.

8- Very cool piece of electro-pop. I like stuff like this, which manages to be clever by being wilfully dumb. Nice.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-09-2004, 16:06:01
Do you think we might as well do the rest of CD2 as well? Let's face facts- I doubt any of those not submitting reviews for tracks 1-8 are going to be motivated to do 9- 16.

BigGameHunter
13-09-2004, 15:08:18
1)
I like the singer and the U2esque jangly 80's guitar work on this song. Plus it has a very strong chorus that has a power that comes from being straightforward and simple. I guess most people would think this is sort of pedestrian, but I don't. I'd definitely want to hear more from this group. Reminds me of the good old days of adept pop rock.

2)
A bit of a rapid gear shift from the first song. This tune reminds me of a CMJ comp feature. I wonder if you broke down all the songs, how many would be about drug addiction, how many in that group about heroin, coke, pot, booze...I bet heroin is going to be up there. This seems to capture the melancholy and edged sadness that goes with being partnered to an addict. Very nicely done. Interesting...Jim Rose is a local freak show hero...it's not about him is it?

3)
I really did not like this song at first. In fact, I FF'd through it the first few times it came on...but lo and behold, if you can get past the first bar or so it is a great tune. The drunken circus organ meets Latin bodega party meets bizarre call and response complaint motiff is certainly unique to my listening experience. I'm wondering if this is the way this group is all the time or if this is one of those "let's see what we can do" tunes? I'm really liking the start of this disc.

4)
Ok..modern Hendrix on acid stylee starting here. Sounds like a Sonic Youth inspired song. It's o.k...some nice noodling both lyrically and musically...but it's just one the verge of being a somewhat mainstream college metal/kegger party fratboy event. I see a video with a shaggy haired matinee idol looking singer wearing leather pants and tribal tattoos and a pierced eyebrow. That bothers me. Good, but I'm not buying.

5)
This is a really neat little tune. Very understated and charming. I like it. Like #3, it is a creeping glorious fungus that needs to get its hooks a bit into you first. I imagine the word some would use would be "twee" but it is a good "twee". Honestly, this would go great with mushrooms or X...a nice slow, nodding vibe to go with your giant shit eating grin. I'd like some more, please.

6)
OK..the opening phrase was a big turnoff to me...like some horrendous detective show track from a Bulgarian TV show. But it is being ironic, apparently...so it saves itself. However, I really hate the Moog influenced sound it evokes. And, for some reason, I've never been a big horn or strings guy. I know this is probably painfully clever and evocative, but it really doesn't do much for me until the singer kicks in--then it is pretty awesome. An interesting processional, this one. Thanks, Scabby--it IS uplifting in the end.

7)
This song really is what cemented in my mind the concept for Disc 2. It's a serial killer movie soundtrack, plain and simple. Go back and listen again--let yourself get visual...there is a serial killer moving through various scenes on this Disc. A very complex, relatively likeable killer to boot. He goes to dance clubs a lot, does a lot of psychoactive drugs...probably lives in San Francisco or some similar cultural crossroads town. I think he suspends his victims in some kind of fluid during the awakening process he put them through. He's devilishly handsome with some sort of tragic physical or verbal flaw that has kept him from the comfy folds of acceptance. And we're all going to pay--one by one. This is his post homi-coitus song, where he's happy about a particularly adept skin peeling or some such.

8)
My favorite song on the whole deal I think...in keeping with the killer theme...this is the tune that our killer dances naked to in front of the mirrored-room walls, or when he's at the club prowling for victims or as he drives into the desert with some hysterical duct taped hostage pounding and crying in the trunk of his BMW.
I love it.

Funkodrom
13-09-2004, 15:15:33
1. Ah, the mighty Bloc Party with Banquet. This is easily my favourite song on the collection and the best Bloc Party song I've heard. Quite a few times I've just had this one on repeat. I don't own anything by them but am waiting for the debut album to come out later in the year. It was great to see them at Reading playing to a packed Radio 1 tent after seeing them in the tiny Rising Sun Arts Center early in the year. Especially when the drummer thanked his mum for letting him play drums in the dining room for 10 years

2. To me this is another one of those songs that fall into the genre I'm starting to think of as "weird LWP track with moody female vocals". Generally I like them more for their weirdness, although the more I hear the less weird they get, than the actual song but I really like this one.
The loud bit has a kind of radiohead vibe to it. Nice contrast.

3. Ah, a Scabby ethnic ghetto track. I think that it's a really cool latin/hip-hop fusion which. What I like most about it is that it's just a disorganised mess, there's no lyric structure or anything, just some people making weird sounds and chatting. Good stuff but I'm bound not to look into anything else by these guys.

4. MINE!

5. I need a wee!!! I think it's the running water at the beginning of the track. That little guitar hook that comes in reminds me very much of another track, I'm wondering if it's from something else... Anyway this is a relatively cool chilled drum and bassy track sung in furrin and with some ethnic sounding drums. I'm tempted to suggest it's Johan's track just to annoy him. It's ok, nothing I haven't heard before but has a nice vocal on it. I'd probably still go for Talvin Singh if I wanted to listen to drum'n'bass like this, this is just a bit too pleasant.

6. Is that bit at the start the theme from The Professionals? We are in weird primitive synth and brass territory here, well, it's not really weird, just old. I love this old groovy mellow easy listening stuff with an edge. It's exactly the type of stuff you get packaged up by the In-Flight Entertainment people. This song goes on a little too long for what it is though I think, would work better as a 3 minute song.

7. We're really continuing the ethnic theme in this section aren't we. This is pretty good for what it is but I need a bit more going on to keep my interest. I have a feeling I've heard this before though, I might even own it.

8. Yeah, I'm cool. I know I'm so cool. Flattery will get you anywhere! I like this song, it's such a moody piece of music. The synths and beats are incredibly dated sounding now which gives it a pretty cool retro feel, at least to my ears.

Resource Consumer
14-09-2004, 00:39:11
I refuse to post mine as I already sent them. :p

(I have been in Germany a lot lately)

Funkodrom
14-09-2004, 09:34:54
I sent mine too but they aren't getting posted.

Scabrous Birdseed
14-09-2004, 10:54:41
They aren't getting posted because I haven't recieved enough. :rolleyes:

Funkodrom
14-09-2004, 11:02:23
Just post what you have!!! you won't get any more now.

Scabrous Birdseed
14-09-2004, 11:05:38
I will. Create a responses thread in the meantime.

Scabrous Birdseed
14-09-2004, 11:06:46
My own reviews:

1. I heard this streaming out from a tent at the Leeds festival which I was running past in the rain so if my schedule was correct this is the band Bloc Party. What can I say? It's the oh-so-fashionable genre punkfunk, not particularly punky, not particularly funky, nor in fact particularly good. Just middle-of-the-pack new waveish pop.

2. Jimmy Rose is a fucking bastard. I hate the "tortured male genius" archetype, whingeing and self-obsessed, constantly in need of mothering by a succession of much smarter women they emotionally drain and discard. Hey, singer, you're clearly much more talented than the "artist", get the fuck out of there while you still can.

3. It starts off like Philemon Arthur and the Dung or one of Captain Beefheart's most naivist moments, and ends up a full-blown Mambo. It's brilliant, and the best thing about it is that you're not quite sure how the transition happens, or can identify the point where the changeover occurs. I love it.

4. I'm not sure about many of the musical decisions in this track but I do like the rhythmical drive. I've always been a fan of music that compels you to lurch forward.

5. Sunshiney pop with a faint indian theme, pleasant but not carrying particularly much interest.

6. MINE

7. There's another track on the Bollywood box set subtitled something like "In the Jungle" and it uses exactly the same kind of cod-indian instrumentation to signify "wilderness" as this track does. It's interesting the way the idiom has gone from India to Hollywood and then back to India again... Don't have much to say about the track, loungey sample-based electronica is not my scene at all.

8. I love the synthesiser but dislike most synth-pop. This is excellent, though - it's got a lovely sort of french stadium children's video game indie feel, and keeps the production nice and clean

Scabrous Birdseed
14-09-2004, 11:07:19
zmama's reviews:

1.Bouncy fun pop. Important? no, but I could listen to a lot of this.

2.Sad and slightly scary druggie song. Well constructed and wonderfully sung.

3. mine

4.Hard, sounds very commercial but good. I liked it.

5.Ah, part of the "Asian ghetto" Laz mentioned. I really enjoyed listening to this and would like to hear more. I love the female vocal.

6.This is such a melange of styles....made me giggle. Sounds a lot like something I'd hear at our local middle eastern restaurant, except a bit too interesting and odd for that. It sounds like asian mariachi music. Fun for my ears.

7. Pleasant enough, but I forget it as soon as it stops.

8. Sorry, can't get into the old dance beat. I could have heard this artificial beat 20 years ago in a club or last year...same stuff. I suppose ya could exercise to it. Shorter would have been nice.

Scabrous Birdseed
14-09-2004, 11:08:09
Keith's reviews:

Track 1 :

This somehow reminds me of a Teardrop Explodes song (ďSecond HeadĒ?) although the doo-wop bass backing vocals are very un-Teardrop. This is rather likeable and builds nicely. I would like to hear more by this bunch.

Submitter : Laz

Track 2 :

The voice sounds very familiar. A bit like Carol van Dijk but the musical style is wrong. The style of the song is more Natalie Merchant. This is one that repays a few listens. I canít quite say that I am convinced but I would like to check more of this out.

Submitter : Zmama

Track 3 :

This is a grower. I first thought that it sucked and the drumming sounded like my first efforts to keep in time. I think one of their mothers must have told them it was cool to mix in a whole chunk of sort of calypso backing and strangely it gets to you like bits of food stuck between your teeth. It works but once is enough as I imagine it would get too gimmicky over the length of an album.

Submitter : Scabby

Track 4 :

Starts with quite a bit of guitar wanking and the irritating sounds are maintained through the background. Wow, does it bug me - until the quieter bit comes in Ė thatís fine until the axeman cometh (actually, I wish he would and have done with the wanking). Donít get me started on the singer either. Frankly, it sucks.

Submitter : Funko

Track 5 :

I did rather like this. There is something about Cornershop in this as it mixes dance, guitars and eastern sounding melodies. I love the dreamy female vocal which reminds me of a 1000 Bollywood films and then it moves up a gear and moves the song along. A thumbs up from here and I would like to hear more. Excellent.

Submitter : Debaser

Track 6 :

The intro seems to come from a showband guesting on the original Starsky and Hutch. Then it goes weird as it is jazz/swing but someone has bought a new synth and is weedling away with it in the background. Then cue the strings and guitars. There is something of Les Negresses Vertes about this although it appears to be more Spanish/Mexican. A very strange but good song. Definitely one of the more interesting ones submitted this time round. (As an afterthought, this could be something by one of those guys that promoted the early synths in the 1970sÖ.except the synth isnít loud enough.)

Submitter :BGH

Track 7 :

Nice bass. This sounds a bit like Laika or someone like that. In fact, the more I listen the more I am convinced that it is Laika. So, this is very good although I expect it does not have enough guts in it for some tastes here. This is Sunday morning chill out stuff.

Submitter : K_G

Track 8 :

Oh, the vocoder. How marvellous and I havenít heard one for years. Something I hoped had been consigned to history along with the Gizmo, Godley and Creme and hard toilet paper. I think I would rather listen to someone applying the hard toilet paper. This is just tedious shite. Vocoders are not cool in spite of what the Stephen Hawking impersonator thinks.

Submitter : Protein