PDA

View Full Version : Elephant

Debaser
01-08-2004, 22:38:10
Anyone seen it?

I just watched it. It's a good low-budget art film, but in my opinion hardly the "masterpiece" claimed on the DVD case. Gus Van Sant (My Own Private Idaho, Drugstore Cowboy) won the Palme D'or over films of the calibre of Monster (which I think is really excellent), yet Elephant looks like it was filmed in a day. Critics are obviously suckers for "difficult" subject matter.

Having said that, I really liked it. It's really nicely filmed (lots of autumny yellow & orange colours), and the style it's shot in is really brave I reckon (there are lots of 3 or 4 minute shots where the camera does nothing but silently follow a character from about 50 metres away as they walk slowly down a corridor or through some woods or whatever. There's hardly any real dialogue.). But then I like anything that's a bit pretentious and arty, especially if it stars foxy teenagers and has no real plot. *shrugs*

BigGameHunter
02-08-2004, 16:47:58
I'm ashamed to admit that though it was made by a local filmmaker and shot a couple of minutes from here, I have not seen it.
Van Sant is not my favorite...but I hear it is pretty revealing r.e. high school cruelty and cliques.

I went to an all boy's Catholic school...maybe I missed out on some of the cruddier aspects?

Gramercy Riffs
02-08-2004, 17:39:59
Is it a film you'll never forget?

Debaser
02-08-2004, 17:49:56
Some kind of joker huh?