PDA

View Full Version : Laser Squad: Nemesis review by Shining1

Nav
13-03-2002, 10:09:12
Is here: http://www.counterglow.net/article.php?id=lasersquadnemesis

Enjoy!

Funkodrom
13-03-2002, 10:32:29
I'm in the middle of my 4th game now, all against Shiny. Proud to say that I was the person he got the draw against. :D And I should have won the last game where we were both Autons. :mad: ;)

Rushing headlong towards your enemy and firing madly will result in heavy casualties

:lol: :lol: I watched the replay of that turn about 10 times. :D

That's a good honest review. I'm currently debating whether to spend the $15 on the game. I think I'm pretty close to getting it. Bearing in mind it's gone through 2 revisions already and I haven't downloaded either of them yet I'll get those before I try. The client sometimes crashes on my machine at the moment although it's very smooth on a 1.2 GHz Athlon...

It is good fun though and very satisfying to get any kind of result, even a tie where your last ammoless man has been hiding in the woods for the last 5 turns. :D

Funkodrom
13-03-2002, 10:33:09
I shouldn't really laugh... I haven't got the results of the next turn back yet.

Funkodrom
13-03-2002, 11:02:11
ps: Shiny, I found all the unit stats here:

http://glenmurphy.com/lasersquad/

It's got the LOS shapes there as well but I don't understand them.

MattHiggs
13-03-2002, 11:10:18
I'm getting it now. I've always wanted a PBEM game. Anyone fancy playing the n00b ?

Nav
13-03-2002, 11:36:51
Laser Squad Nemesis avatar based on the graphic for the review:!

Funkodrom
13-03-2002, 11:37:16
Yes, definitely. I'll pm you my e-mail. Might as well play this @ work.

Funkodrom
13-03-2002, 11:40:37
Actually... change that, I'd really better not start playing this at work but I'll play you this evening, sent you my home e-mail.

If you send me a challenge you should then be able to pick which side you want to be on and what kind of troops you want, let me know if you need any advice. It's not that easy to work out at first.

MattHiggs
13-03-2002, 12:18:34
Can you play with hotmail? If not, I'll use BT address?

Funkodrom
13-03-2002, 13:05:33
I don't know...

Funkodrom
13-03-2002, 13:06:23
You probably need a local e-mail client...

Resource Consumer
13-03-2002, 14:08:41
excellent review Ned

Venom
13-03-2002, 14:58:25
Let me read the review. Then I will decide.

Corwin
13-03-2002, 17:08:35
Good review, Shining. I am definitely intrigued. The idea of playing MP X-COM (well, sort of like X-COM) is great.

I also hope Freedom Force is good.

Gamara is really neat!
Gamara is fun to eat!
Gamara is full of meat!
We love Gamara!

Funkodrom
13-03-2002, 20:14:07
Hmm... something must be about to go wrong, I seem to be winning quite comfortably... I need Shiny to get online so I can finish him off. :D

Darkstar
13-03-2002, 23:20:53
Nice review, Shining1!

Shining1
14-03-2002, 04:35:41
I am in a lot of trouble. Seems my Sniper has something in his eye - he can't see...

Thanks guys:).

Matt - Send me a challenge/request for challenge at Ned@paradise.net.nz

Funkodrom
14-03-2002, 09:16:14
Originally posted by Shining1
I am in a lot of trouble. Seems my Sniper has something in his eye - he can't see...

That's a laser bolt isn't it? :D Mind you, I haven't seen the results of the last turn yet.

Snapcase
14-03-2002, 11:57:36
http://dev.tglmultimedia.com/

Check, ooh, the third news item.

Funkodrom
14-03-2002, 12:15:43
Cool!

Vincent Fandango
14-03-2002, 12:21:26
Famuz!

MattHiggs
14-03-2002, 14:18:07
I tried to install BTOpenWorld mail account from a cd they sent me, and it's completely messed up IE. It loads up this stupid page that says continue or cancel and if I click either I just get a blank white screen. Can't use IE or Outlook Express at all.... grrrr !!! :mad:

I'm solving the problem now and then I'll send requests out! :D

MattHiggs
14-03-2002, 17:12:36
Email working now:

matthiggs@btopenworld.com

I sent two requests but just got an email back saying I need to sign up to register or something. I'll sort it all out when I get back from work at about 10:30-11pm.

You do not have a player account for Laser Squad Nemesis,
so you cannot start a new game. In order to register for
an account visit the website

Funkodrom
14-03-2002, 17:15:28
OK probably won't get to play until tomorrow night then.

MattHiggs
14-03-2002, 17:16:40
:coolgrin:

No problem. It'll give me a chance to read through the guide and not play like a total newbie.

MattHiggs
15-03-2002, 00:48:09
Shining1: Received challenge and sent back first turn; hope it's ok. I'm looking forward to playing this. Looks very good !:D

Shining1
15-03-2002, 01:15:18
Sorry I haven't sent any messages yet, I am tired and pissed off from a couple of dumb moves I made against Mike in the end game... ah well:).

MattHiggs
15-03-2002, 01:16:35
I think you can exact more than enough revenge on me, conidering I just shot my own medic twice when I was aiming for a door. :o

Shining1
15-03-2002, 01:30:56
Opps:). Didn't that show up in 'Test Orders'?

(Press 'U' to cancel a command.)

MattHiggs
15-03-2002, 01:50:19
Oh dear, oh dear. Lost quite a few units then, and my commander is isolated near your four troops. Not good, not good at all. :(

Shining1
15-03-2002, 02:02:07
The trick is to go slowly, and use all the commands.

Hmmm, maybe I should add a basic strategy guide somewhere.

MattHiggs
15-03-2002, 02:11:55
That's a good idea, it's been so long since I played X-Com Apocalypse. I just wandered into this game having no clue. A strategy guide would be helpful to lots of people I think.

Funkodrom
15-03-2002, 09:30:56
Originally posted by Shining1
Sorry I haven't sent any messages yet, I am tired and pissed off from a couple of dumb moves I made against Mike in the end game... ah well:).

Yeah... After your gamble went so wrong in turn 2 and I was that far ahead in points and men by turn 5 I totally cocked everything up and you were brilliant with those snipers... at 14-8 I should never have come down to 2 medics and a grenadier with no grenades against a sniper at the end. :o What I should have done was hide and let you come to me not stand there letting you pick me off from long range or charge everyone towards you so I could get close enough to return fire.

In the end I was lucky to get the win. :D

Er... sorry, I meant to say M3 L33T. I own J00:).

MattHiggs
15-03-2002, 09:39:34
:( 11-4 to Shining1.

I'm going for one last tactical move, but I fear it's all over. I bought to many grunts, only one grenade and I don't know how to use medics, but they're dead now anyway. :D

Funkodrom
15-03-2002, 09:48:02
That's exactly what happened to me in my first game. Don't give up though, you can probably make the score more respectable my making him work hard to finish you off.

To use a medic select the medic and then right click on the person you want them to heal. It draws a blue line to them and they'll follow that person around and heal them when they catch them up.

Tip for new players - DON'T BUY GRUNTS!!!

MattHiggs
15-03-2002, 12:39:18
BONUS!

Just found out I can view my email via web, so I can play at university! woohoo!

Funkodrom
15-03-2002, 13:33:07
Cool. I'm seriously thinking of signing up, it's only 10

MattHiggs
15-03-2002, 13:39:17
10.43 !

Funkodrom
15-03-2002, 13:48:09
Oh... well I won't get it then.

PosterBoy
15-03-2002, 17:25:32
Is this more fun and easier than combat mission?
I was shit at that and it put me off turn based games

Funkodrom
15-03-2002, 18:30:15
I haven't played CM.

PosterBoy
15-03-2002, 23:46:31
Shining a quick start guide would be most helpful

MattHiggs
15-03-2002, 23:48:29
Just got back from the pub now. I've sent my first move to you.

Shining1
16-03-2002, 02:47:55
Grunts are a unit I am struggling with at the moment, but they do have their uses.

* Vision: Snipers can't see nearly as far as you would think, they just shoot a big gun accurately over long distances. Grunts have good vision and can be used as spotters.

* Rate of Fire: Grunts are insane for rate of fire. You can get 6 shots off in a single turn quite easily. This leads to a tactic called 'the dancing grunt'. Construct your move like this - move, scan, move, scan, move, scan, move, scan. With each move being a couple of steps to the left or right. It means there is a good chance that the grunt will be moving when something stops to shoot at it, and thus a better chance the shot will miss.

Other units aren't nearly as good at this because they take a long time to shoot.

Matt: Medics - right click a medic to target someone with it. They heal a good 4-5 points per turn (assuming you start healing at the start of the turn).

Shining1
16-03-2002, 02:56:20
I know almost nothing about combat mission, so I can't comment at all about that.

PosterBoy
17-03-2002, 21:45:57
I'm hooked on this game

It's great even if I am crap at it!

MattHiggs
17-03-2002, 23:33:08
You're beating me at the moment I think. Plus I am running very, very low on ammo :(

Shining1
18-03-2002, 00:45:28
Retreat! Get back to the HQ and resupply (right click on it).

MattHiggs
18-03-2002, 01:03:56
Oh dear, I didn't know you could do that :lol:

You really need to write this guide ! :D

Shining1
18-03-2002, 01:26:50
Okay, a very basic guide to the Marines.

Commander (3 points)
c
Commanders are the toughest unit the Marines have - they can survive nearly any 'first strike' attack with at least a couple of hps. Their damage is also so big they can usually kill any lesser unit with a single shot - if not, they will be seriously wounded.

Commanders combine better survivability and massive damage with good all round stats - movement, accuracy, vision, and rate of fire. You'll probably want a couple of these units, especially during the opening engagements in the game.

Use Medics to really add value to your Commaders - since they can take a hit, it's possible to retreat and repair in a safer location. Also, be aware that the Commander's blaster does so much damage that a couple of shots can take out a wall if you need a quick way through somewhere. (Don't go overboard on this - their ammo count is just enough to get by).

Sniper (2 points)
Life: 8
Ammo: 15
Damage: Huge
Vision: Good
Movement: Good
Accuracy: Great
Rate of Fire: Average

Snipers have one real advantage - they can hit any target, doing big damage at a long range. However, because they can shoot much further than they can see, they are best used in combination with Commanders or Grunts to scout out an area to highlight targets.

Snipers also have terrible survivability. A close up with a Grunt (especially against a good player) will often go badly for the Sniper. Keep them at long range, keep them moving so they don't attract return fire, and they'll do just fine.

Grenadier (2 points)
Life: 11
Ammo: 8
Damage: Medium, large splash radius
Movement: Average
Accuracy: Average
Rate of Fire: Poor
Special features:
* Grenades can bounce off terrain elements

Grenadiers can be alternately devastating and useless. It's all up to you, and to a lesser extent, your opponent. The real advantage of this unit is that it can bounce its Grenades off obstacles and around corners, meaning that Grenadiers more or less own the tight indoor maps where these tactics rule.

In the open, they are much more vulnerable, especially to units that are accurate at rate (e.g Sniper, Commander, A.I). Indoors, the best way to deal with a Grenadier is another Grenadier that fires first:).

Grens do have reasonable hit points, though, and medic backup can be useful, especially if they are competing against other Grenadiers.

Grunt (1 point)
Ammo: 35
Damage: Poor
Accuracy: Poor
Rate of Fire: Exceptional

Grunts are little more than cannon fodder and scouts, at least until they manage to get close to an opponent, where their poor accuracy (think Storm Troopers from Starwars) is negated by distance and they can start to take advantage of their exceptional rate of fire.

In my opinion, Grunts have three main uses - Scouting, support fire, and 'assassination'. Firstly, having a Grunt along immediately gives you another pair of eyes in the field - a useful thing. Secondly, the Grunts rate of fire means they can really put the fear into another opponent, especially if you have two or three of them all scanning the same area at once. Finally, if you can sneak a Grunt around behind something and attack it from close range, they have a great chance of getting a kill (or at least doing some good damage).

Massing your Grunts (and other units, for that matter) in a tight formation is generally a bad idea - a single Grenade or missile could kill them all in one go.

Medic (1 point)
Ammo: 20
Damage: Pathetic
Accuracy: Pathetic
Rate of Fire: Average

The job of a medic is to heal (use the follow command here - right click on the target friendly unit) other units, so you get the best value out of them. Stationing Medics near where your Commanders and Grenadiers are is generally a good idea.

Medics can also fight, but suffer from the same problems that Grunts do - low damage and low accuracy. Unless you can get close, or you have nothing else to do and want to ride your luck, they are better off guarding your better units against damage.

HQ (1 point)
Life: 40
Other stats: Well that would be pointless now, wouldn't it:).

The HQ, like the medic, extends the useful life of your units that have seen front line action. Select a unit and right click on the HQ - the unit will return there and have their ammo count completely restored. This is useful for nearly all units (though Commanders and Snipers can go for a while without needing it), but especially so for your Grenadiers, and even more so if you are using them to defend an area close to the HQ. Just set up an infinite stream of Grenades each turn and quickly reload when you run out.

Note: An HQ is optional - only deploy it if you plan to reload.

Funkodrom
18-03-2002, 09:18:20
You missed the commander stats (from here: http://glenmurphy.com/lasersquad/ )

Life: 13
Ammo: 20
Armour: 3

Grunt and Grenadier have armour 2, sniper and medic have armour 1.

PB, send me a challenge whenever you want.

Shining1
18-03-2002, 09:32:18
Ah, useful:). Okay, I will update that tomorrow when I feel like it:).

Funkodrom
18-03-2002, 09:52:38
I did post you that link in the second or third post in this thread... thought you might not have seen it. :D