PDA

View Full Version : Doors of perception.

paiktis22
16-07-2004, 00:10:10
Or plain The Doors. With Ian Asbury (sp).
They are coming for a concert at the end of July. That is one concert I'm not going to miss for sure. All the university discussion wether Morisson was just another drunkurd and anyone could have done it better or wether he was a decent poet and the band a creative force of a rare mystification are now pointless.
It's just the songs :)
Seeing as I wasn't even born when Morisson died and yet one of my first jobs when I got to Paris as a teenager was to visit his grave says some things.

I remember reading in a magazine that trends, bands come and go but there is only a handful of bands that will forever appear written with bic pens on the schoolbags of kids, such as The Doors or The Ramones.

Anyway I don't know wether this stands and to be frank I don't know wether the spectacle of third age men playing the doors music will be a grandiose demystification but I can't miss it, if nothing else "for the teenage years". :heart:

ALso I remember Ian Asbury from a marathon concert with lots of other bands, he was playing in Cult at that time and he was really awesome. Unbelievably drunk yet unbelievably able to give a great performance. Rocked the stadium. So this is maybe hopefull for the doors concert. We'll see. :beer:

King_Ghidra
16-07-2004, 08:17:18
There are a lot of haters for the doors these days. I'm still a pretty big fan, and i have plenty of time for the pseudo mystical weirder apsects of their lyrics and music. Partly because i have an unshakeable mental connection between the Doors and my favourite film of all time, Apocalypse Now, and partly because i think they made some really cool songs.

I even got hold of a copy of American Prayer recently, the Jim Morrison spoken word/poetry set to music album, and though somewhat self-indulgent i still think there's a lot to enjoy there.

Funkodrom
16-07-2004, 08:24:30
I used to listen to The Doors a lot more than I do now. I think I kind of got a bit bored of them.

protein
16-07-2004, 10:36:44
The Doors are great. Thanks for reminding me. I keep forgetting about them so I kind of go in two year cycles of listening to them and completely forgetting them.

BigGameHunter
16-07-2004, 19:05:45
I OD'd on the Doors...they were once my favorite act by far.
I even fantasized I was "the illegitamite son of a rock and roll star" back when my fraternal parentage was still in question.
I actually went through a phase in my lead singer days where I tried to BE Jim Morrison...
Haven't listened to them in ages...maybe I'll try again.