PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 has gone gold

Venom
15-07-2004, 00:54:33
Yes it's true.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/14/news_6102542.html

I'd add it as a news item but I forgot how. Oh well.

King_Ghidra
15-07-2004, 09:19:47
wow! :eek:

i'm genuinely impressed

of course what we're really waiting for is HL2 but... :cute:

Actually speaking of which, i saw some shots of counter-strike running under the HL2 engine at an event in korea recenltly, and very sexy it looked too.

Funkodrom
15-07-2004, 09:25:40
It does look great. If it is as tense as Doom II...

I'm going to have to get myself a new box sooner or later.

MDA
15-07-2004, 10:19:17
Got PC Gamer in the mail yesterday announcing this.

MDA
15-07-2004, 10:19:54
I thought Gamespot had initially stated that the "gone gold" rumor was a hoax. Guess the joke is on them.

Funkodrom
15-07-2004, 10:38:33
This made me go and check out Half-Life 2 again. Very exciting. I think I'll time my new box to coincide with it's release.

Scabrous Birdseed
15-07-2004, 11:13:27
I'm timing my new box to coincide with the release of Duke Nukem Forever.

Funkodrom
15-07-2004, 11:28:13
Your next new box?

Nav@work
15-07-2004, 12:18:55
I'm timing my new box to coincide with the release of Duke Nukem Forever.so how do you know Duke Nukem Forever will be released in August? :hmm:

Scabrous Birdseed
15-07-2004, 12:56:38
It might be... My old one dates back to when it was originally planned for release. :)

Venom
15-07-2004, 12:59:09
Originally posted by MDA
I thought Gamespot had initially stated that the "gone gold" rumor was a hoax. Guess the joke is on them.

Indeed they did. I had a good laugh when I saw them post this.

Provost Harrison
15-07-2004, 21:28:11
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
I'm timing my new box to coincide with the release of Duke Nukem Forever.

Should save you some money on upgrades then ;)

Shining1
16-07-2004, 22:29:29
Half-life 2 at the moment is kinda turning into Gordon Freeman Forever... :(

Provost Harrison
16-07-2004, 23:03:29
:lol: They're going to have to find another unsuspecting hacker so they can delay the game ;)

Venom
17-07-2004, 01:12:42
4 or 5 month from now there will be a "fire" at Valve's office. Much data will be lost.

No longer Trippin
18-07-2004, 06:06:19
I'm not buying HL2 when it comes out anyhow. Why would I give money to someone who lied there ass off consistently? Yet "supports" the community then pitifully confesses months later - if you'll call it that - that sept was bullshit for release (but it inked an ATi deal). He said he didn't know the game wasn't ready for Sept last year. How? What kind of bullshit excuse is that. He got a lot of people who couldn't afford to get a new system or video card do so, and now it won't even run it at full details with AA or AF at a good resolution at a decent frame rate on a 9800 Pro I'm imagining. The 9800 XT is choked by farcry, as is the 5950 FX - so now those wanting the best perfomance now can't upgrade again as they spent most of their money on hardware already. Though there are those with the money to buy the new cards and chips, and now Gabe has made quite a few companies happy while pissing completely on the fanbase. You can support him, I'll prefer not to take the golden shower.

King_Ghidra
19-07-2004, 09:32:49
well i don't know what farcry did to a 9800xt but on my 9600 pro it looked sexaaayyy

i don't need to run a game in 1600x1200 to get my jollies - doesn't gameplay matter to you NLT?

Darkstar
19-07-2004, 20:35:11
You mean... Carmack? Well, that's simple. He hasn't been doing any real work at the company for over 2 years, at least. He just signs whatever they tell him to sign... he's too big into the X Prize thing at the moment. I can try digging up a few interviews with his X Prize team where he says the only thing he is doing is X Prize and he hasn't even checked in at his home company in over 6 months, Trip. If you want. According to him in those interviews, he's been pulling a Sid... just stamping his sig wherever required while he was off doing what he wants. That is the point to being a multi-millionare, isn't it? Fuck customers, fuck commitments, and fuck the world. He's having fun and doing what he wants. (to badly para-phrase him)

No longer Trippin
20-07-2004, 00:58:28
Yes, gameplay means more to me than graphics, but if the graphics are available, why not run them? I haven't gone out and bought an X800 Pro, so it doesn't mean that much as if I wanted 16x12 (and if you had a 21" you would to) with AA and AF at respectable levels - I can settle for 10x7 with 2xAA/AF at full details for awhile with my 9800. Once I hvae to go below that, I'll just stick my 9800 in the other box and get a new card. Gameplay isn't enjoyable at 15 FPS. :)

DS: Yeah, but at least he isn't pulling the community around by the balls and the community is loving it asking for seconds. He's just telling them what they are getting, if they bitch, too bad (as per MP, don't buy and wait for the next game, he didn't say it in those words, but the community knows D3 has nearly no multiplayer element (this could speak poorly of the game (then he becomes a Sid), or just remaining true to the game while giving up a little). He also never put down a concrete date and not to mention stuck with it till the day before the launch date. I figured he wasn't doing much programming and only doing PR for it. Pretty easy to tell when he says ATi runs better after the FX fiasco, then ATi leaks the alpha and then he goes back to nVidia while the 5950 was being torn apart by most online reviews as being garbage due to it's drivers and architecture that wasn't worth a damned. He was even praising their drivers (and even the image qaulity that he bemoaned in one interview) as he no longer had to use partial precision hints (the drivers now did it for him). He pissed on people, but he didn't piss on the whole town, more like a neighborhood or two compared to Gabe.

You think Gabe is programming, if he was, wouldn't he have KNOWN that the Sept date of last year was a year off and not said that he didn't know. Then they said code thiefs were the cause of delays, then weren't at fault for most, now they are saying the opposite again. And they said they only had to rewrite the network code. Bullshit.

He isn't pulling a Sid though, at least not until we see the game. So far everything that is associated with Carmack and iD (other than licenced engine titles (other RtCW, while it was dealt out of house for most of it, iD did do more than with other titles on their engine for the dev. house). Doom 3 will be the real test if he is a Sid. Sid stamps shit. Carmack has yet to do that. If he does, I have no problem not buying another iD game. Crytek showed that even an old dev house that doesn't even focus on games can create a damned good game engine and gameplay. Before they only did graphics demo's, and they mainly highlighted nvidia cards as of the last one they had done worked very well on G3's but wouldn't even run on an 8500 until late (though ATi had shitty drivers then - so that could be a big reason for that) before going straight into Cryengine and gaming completely.

DaShi
21-07-2004, 02:48:37
Does Doom3 have pbem? I really don't have the time any other way.

Provost Harrison
30-07-2004, 23:06:50
Well it looks like the release is imminent and the game has started trickling out...just that we have to wait nearly another 2 weeks until it is available here in the UK. Why does it take so long, I mean, we do have the facility to produce these things after all!

King_Ghidra
05-08-2004, 09:17:58
Isn't this out now in the US? Why are you yanks not telling us what it's like?

The Shaker
05-08-2004, 09:24:58
From what I read

' this game sucks'
'this game is great, you suck'
' this game is crap, you suck'

etc etc etc

fp
05-08-2004, 10:57:57
That summary of internet opinion is crap, you suck.

MDA
05-08-2004, 11:40:35
Something funny I found on TTLG
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87391&page=3&pp=25

Doom 1 + 2
Run to door - need green key
Find the green key
Shoot the demons
Run up the stairs
Shoot the imps guarding the green key
Pick up the green key
Run down the stairs
Shoot the demons guarding the door
Use green key on door
Level 2

Doom 3
Run to door - need forrest green keycard
Find the keycard
Strafe left, jump onto destroyed consoles and shoot the demons
Demon's bodies realisitcally fall down stairs
Run up the curved hill which is actually the inside of a human skull, perfectly mapped
Lob a couple of grenades over the boxes towards the wandering imps guarding the green keycard
Marvel at the realistic curved trajectories of the grenades and the realistic explosions upon impact
Step past realistically disfiguerd corpses of imps
Pick up green keycard
Slide down the hill on corpse of imp
Use shotgun on demon guarding the door, marvel at how the demon shudders and you feel the realistic kick of the shotgun
shells as they impact on the demon's realistically defined body
Use keycard on door
Level 2

Venom
05-08-2004, 12:27:03
I'd tell you how it is but I don't have a good enough computer.

Venom
05-08-2004, 13:37:08
I will say from the game play footage I've seen I'm not impressed. Sure it looks cool but it also managed to look stale at the same time.

HelloKitty
06-08-2004, 08:56:11
Same old FPS, new graphics. Nothing worth buying. Played a little today.

If you love dark creepy looking graphics buy it.

If you want somthing fun...

fp
06-08-2004, 10:32:43
Graphics that seem to be from 10 years in the future. Gameplay that seems to be from 10 years in the past.

Venom
06-08-2004, 12:23:41
So far the reviews I've seen have said the same thing. Spectacular technology, a little on the bland side for game play.

Funkodrom
06-08-2004, 12:24:24
Have they made it easy for people to make mods a la Half Life?

Venom
06-08-2004, 14:50:10
Supposedly. At least multiplayer wise. People have already broken the 4 player only limit.

Funkodrom
06-08-2004, 15:36:06
There was a 4 player limit?! On the demo or on the actual game?

Venom
06-08-2004, 15:41:25
Actual game. Actual multiplayer.

As for HL2 rumors are going around that it's mere days away from going gold.

Funkodrom
06-08-2004, 16:06:14
4 player, what a bunch of shit.

fp
06-08-2004, 16:54:10
Precisely.

Conversely, the retail version of Half Life 2 will include the latest version of CounterStrike using the new Source Engine.

No longer Trippin
08-08-2004, 19:00:24
Gameplay isn't all that great and physics are garbage. It is basically a cut and paste monster from behind you script setup the WHOLE damned game. If you don't have a rig worth running it at near it's full visually, I wouldn't pick it up. As while it is easily the best looking game out there, it has near zero replay value as practically every single scene is scripted.

King_Ghidra
12-08-2004, 08:40:48
got hold of a 'review copy' and played through the first few areas.

Graphics are very sexy, although more of a development from something like Far Cry than a huge leap forward.

Atmosphere is very creepy, lots of flickering lights and mysterious noises to keep you on your toes - and there are some genuinely scary moments where all the lights go out and shit kicks off, or some shocking cutscene launches. I thought it was very well done.

The enemy AI is pretty basic. The monsters run straight at you and the soldiers run around and hide a bit, but they're pretty predictable.

There are some nice touches - the PDA records of the civilian site workers help to create a belieavble atmospehere, and they also unlock secrets so it's not just fluff.

It's not doom, it's resident evil, but i've enjoyed it so far.

MDA
12-08-2004, 11:45:20
PDA records like in System Shock?

King_Ghidra
12-08-2004, 11:51:36
didn't play system shock enough to know exactly what you mean, but basically you can find these little data pads and you can browse them for email records and audio recordings belonging to the former owners. They also serve as security access keys.