PDA

View Full Version : "Master and Commander"

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-07-2004, 20:28:25
Saw this last night. If Crowe got Oscar-nominated for this, it speaks volumes about the lack of good parts around.

As an action film, it was half-decent. As an attempt to document the conditions of the Royal Navy of 1805 it was hilarious. I've never read the books it was based on, but if they're like the film I'll be avoiding them.

BigGameHunter
04-07-2004, 20:37:38
Not nearly brutal enough, eh? Don't you think the captain had some influence over that? Granted, it DID come across like a boy's camp escapade, but I thought it made maritime life tangible for your basic land-lubber like myself.

"Mutiny on the Bounty" (any version, really) is where to go for your double fisted punishments...though I imagine the tale of the cabin boy will never be told in anything less than X rated format...

Chris
04-07-2004, 20:42:36
The Royal Navy isn't as gay as you think sneaky.

During the period women often lived on men o war, it was actually quite common.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-07-2004, 20:45:24
The sheer squalor never came across. The reason why the officers stayed behind the mast was that every downwind part of a ship like that would have stunk like a slaughterhouse in plague season.

Chris
04-07-2004, 20:49:33
The crew's head is off the bow, which is exactly why it was called the 'poop.'

Darkstar
04-07-2004, 21:59:16
Discipline was harsh by ~our~ standards, but then, the British Navy was considered a bit kinder (on average) then most navies of the time. And the various navies of the world weren't any harsher then the discipline meted out by the armies of the time.

Spartak
06-07-2004, 11:21:44
Actually, the books were great. Haven't seen the film.