PDA

View Full Version : I saw the trailer for I,Robot last night

Nav
03-07-2004, 12:45:18
All i can say is.

'I don't remember that happening in the book'*

hmmm.... well I guess it makes it a bit more exciting as a hollywood blockbuster. Asimov always enjoyed politics more than action.

*refering to the hordes of attacking robots.

zmama
03-07-2004, 12:50:02
That was my very thought...I don't remember that stuff they showed.

Gonna be another Starship Troopers? :lol:

BigGameHunter
09-07-2004, 22:03:57
Starship Troopers was a great, tongue in cheek riff, I thought.

It does annoy somewhat that they slap a popular title on something that doesn't resemble the original...Philip K. Dick's movies (Blade Runner vaguely excepted) don't seem to match his books much.
But as a fan, as long as it retains most of the spirit and isn't done poorly, I can hardly complain.
"Screamers" (based on a Dick novella) was an abomination.

Darkstar
09-07-2004, 22:06:34
I've been saying that since the very first ad for "I, Robot". I don't think I'll waste my money seeing it. I'll just borrow the DVD from a family member when they buy it in 3 months and see how poorly they did. ;)

Vincent
10-07-2004, 08:30:16
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Philip K. Dick's movies (Blade Runner vaguely excepted) Very vaguely. The book is quite different

Nills Lagerbaak
10-07-2004, 13:57:29
I had a strange moment when finishing a coillectin of Philip K Dick stories. You realise that most of them have been made into films that only very vaguely resemble the stories (Total recall was a Philip Dick story).
But then they do say that his stories make better viewing than reading....

BigGameHunter
10-07-2004, 18:31:13
Hmmm...I don't know about that...seeing as how there is little resemblence to the original...I love his books, for the most part.
I can't think of too many films, from any genre, that have exceeded their literary counterparts...can you?

Vincent
10-07-2004, 18:40:31
I think it's a different medium and you can't compare them. A good book doesn't make a good movie if it isn't changed. I saw Amadeus last night and listened to the audio commentary. They added the priest because Salieri speakingf to the audience - like in the play, which works well - wouldn't work.

I thinke "bladerunner" is a good movie and "sheep" is a good novel, but they have an almost completely different focus.

Funkodrom
12-07-2004, 08:26:22
Starship Troopers was a great, tongue in cheek riff, I thought.

Yeah, I agree. It's very funny. Verhoeven carries on that whole social satire thing he started in Robocop but takes it to another level.

BigGameHunter
13-07-2004, 16:39:04
It's pretty sketchy when you compare and contrast it to current events--the "faceless" enemy we must defeat at all costs, the typical poor grunts getting smoked while the elitist college kids fly over, etc.
If you miss that, you aren't paying attention!

Funkodrom
10-08-2004, 09:16:28
Yes, excactly. It's a relatively brutal social satire but he's managed to sneak it out as a major hollywood movie.

Anyway, saw I, Robot last night. Am going to have to see what the actual book's like but it was much better than I expected it was going to be. Pretty entertaining, very much a Hollywood movie but a decent enough one.

Sir Penguin
10-08-2004, 21:16:44
I, Robot was a good movie. The primary complaint among the nerds is that it didn't follow the book... well, yeah, it was a book of short stories. It followed in theme rather than plot--most of the stories deal with the fact that the Three Laws aren't enough to protect humanity, which is exactly what the movie deals with.

SP

BigGameHunter
10-08-2004, 22:21:09
I like Will Smith...I'll take hime over a robot any day.

Haven't seen this one...but now will on your recommendations.

Sir Penguin
11-08-2004, 06:54:05
Plus, Susan Calvin was hot.

SP

Sweeper
11-08-2004, 08:47:53
Most of the stories in the book deal with how screwing with the three laws produces unexpected or complicated results. Never in the book is the first law violated directly. The theme seems a lot different to me. But then I haven't seen the film.

Funkodrom
11-08-2004, 09:16:22
I like Will Smith...I'll take hime over a robot any day.

You might find it easier to take him over something more commonplace, like a table.

BigGameHunter
11-08-2004, 18:02:25
LOL.

zmama
11-08-2004, 18:19:50
Will Smith is a cutie, I can see why the BigG wants him :D

BigGameHunter
11-08-2004, 21:15:57
The BigG. I like the sound of that.

Alas, a robot might be the best prop for buttlove with Will. I've got short legs.
:)

MOBIUS
15-08-2004, 23:50:26
Pretty disappointing really IMO, same old stuff really. I have a specific gripe, but that would result in a spoiler...

Great futuristic version of the Audi TT though...

6/10

BigGameHunter
16-08-2004, 17:11:07
I enjoyed it...good sci fi action film.
Main detractors were the tossed off attempts at comedy and the over-obvious setup for a sequel.
Main pluses were a fairly well constructed vision of the future and a super smoking hot lead actress. Rooowwwwwr!
I would have liked to see her get her clothes torn off by an industrial accident or something, but you can't have everything.

I'll give it a 6.5/10

Darkstar
23-03-2005, 03:03:47
Finally took the time to see this.

I can see why so many people were irritated. It's a tad slow for a Will Smith action movie, and not brainy enough for the Azzies.

The movie itself is alright, as long as you don't use any logic, not even its own, when you view it. ;)

jsorense
23-03-2005, 03:09:06
I agree with Darkstar. :shoot myself:

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
23-03-2005, 03:26:09
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
Plus, Susan Calvin was hot.

SP

You're refering to the book version of her, aren't you?

sleeping_satsuma
23-03-2005, 23:13:37
I enjoyed it...good sci fi action film.
Main detractors were the tossed off attempts at comedy and the over-obvious setup for a sequel.
Main pluses were a fairly well constructed vision of the future and a super smoking hot lead actress. Rooowwwwwr!
I would have liked to see her get her clothes torn off by an industrial accident or something, but you can't have everything.

I'll give it a 6.5/10

I'd agree with that, except thought actress was rather bland. Loved Will SMith getting topless at every possible occasion tho :D He is one BIG man.

*swoon*

Darkstar
23-03-2005, 23:19:30
Will said he wanted to show off all that work he was/had put into getting into shape for doing the Muhammed Ali role. He was constantly pulling his shirt off in front of cameras then. But hey, if you got it, flaunt it.

sleeping_satsuma
24-03-2005, 17:33:25
he can show off round my house aaaaaany time he wants. :)

BigGameHunter
24-03-2005, 21:51:29
You must rent Six Degrees of Separation then--he's at a vulnerable early stage of his career--full of boyish charm and it's quite a sexually charged film.

Darkstar
24-03-2005, 22:09:09
Another man-crush, BGH?

BigGameHunter
24-03-2005, 22:12:43
Definitely not. I'd like to be his friend, but I think I prefer the man's man type--no sensitive twee guys for me.