PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man 2

Venom
01-07-2004, 21:04:21
That movie just owned my ass. And the rest of me too. So in other words, it owns a whole lot.

zmama
01-07-2004, 21:05:54
Snuck in to a matinee?

BigGameHunter
01-07-2004, 21:10:21
Stuck it to a manatee?

Venom
01-07-2004, 21:18:46
Both. First the matinee, then the manatee. Then the manatee again.

zmama
01-07-2004, 21:33:31
You're the second person I've heard rave about it today

Darkstar
01-07-2004, 21:38:50
Well, Venom is a huge Spidey fan. So as long as they didn't make the movie suck too much ass butter, he'd like it. ;)

Venom
01-07-2004, 21:44:17
Yes, I am a huge Spidey fan, but it's still awesome regardless. As it stands I wanted to turn around and watch it again.

zmama
01-07-2004, 21:50:08
Just fly to NZ in a couple of months...you can see it 4 times like we did the first one :D

Venom
01-07-2004, 22:35:31
Man, that was awesome, yet also terrible at the same time.

protein
01-07-2004, 23:21:29
I saw a bit of the first film. It reminded me of those old Disney films where they had people interacting with animated animals. I just can't get along with computer animated things with live action. Especialy if it's trying to be grown up. Things like MIB can get away with it because it's essentially a kids film.

I liked Spiderman when I was four of five. I had spiderman shoes, spiderman bedsheets, colouring books etc. The 1970s series was cool.

Venom
02-07-2004, 00:23:20
So you hated Lord of the Rings as well then?

BigGameHunter
02-07-2004, 00:37:03
Spiderman sux! Peter Parker is just too much of a wimp. I like Capt. America in his current Ultimates incarnation--he's such a stiff gung ho caveman type...it's great!
Sgt. Rock would kick Spiderman's ass!!!

Venom
02-07-2004, 01:15:22
It is confirmed. BGH is gay.

Angelhorns
02-07-2004, 01:51:52
I dont understand why people like spidey so much. I always thought he was a bit dull compared to superman and batman. I didnt think the first film was particularly good, although I saw it on a small screen so prob not the best way to enjoy the effects.
It all seemed a bit overplayed to me.

Darkstar
02-07-2004, 02:36:10
Spiderman is the very *first* teenage angster hero. He is the model all others copied.

Back when Spiderman was first penned, everything was happy 40s and 50s. Spiderman comes along, total teen angsts... instant market tap.

Superman is always perfect. Batman is always psycho. Spiderman is the first regular guy sort of hero. He's the Charlie Brown of the Super Heroes. Often copied, but he's the time tested original.

Venom
02-07-2004, 03:40:53
Superman is the dullest hero ever. He's invincible. They always have to make up bullshit to make his enemies near equal. And as Darkstar said, outside of the costume, he's a normal guy. He's not rich, not from another planet. He's a poor guy, struggling to get by. Like me. I like that.

Darkstar
02-07-2004, 05:27:23
Spiderman isn't a normal guy. He's a genius, a geek, a dorkoid, with really rotten luck. All the breaks go against him... and all he wants to do is be an average guy and not worry about saving the world. Or the kitty. But that over-developed sense of guilt (Classis SH angts/motive) keeps him slinging along...

Spiderman was the original superhero guy that, if he managed to draw the lucky job of doing a photo-shoot the real "Love Boat", it would be an all Gay-Lesbian cruise that particular time, he'd eat something bad at the start, and spend half the trip puking over the side. On top of that, an incredibly gorgeous actress (Voted #1 Sexiest Woman Alive by ALL the pop culture magazines for the last 5 years running) would just happen to be on the cruise "researching a role", see Peter Parker (when he wasn't being embarassingly green), her "security" would see he's a photo-journalist (ie, popperazzi) and toss him over the side (ruining ALL the work he got done, and destroying his *best* camera). They ship's crew would pick him up, the actress would invite him to a private dining to apologize for her staff... at the meal, she'd be flirting him up, but he'd be totally so sick, he's just sweating not to up-chuck on her. She'd end up getting drunk and trying to entice him, but he'd have to run off to spend the rest of the trip in the bathroom... but drag his sorry ass out to save the ship from some random disater/hi jacking. (SpiderMan tights required, and needing a serious cleaning after he gets sick WHILE fighting)

Next issue, he's finally convinced his current GF to go back out with him (after blowing her off twice for some on-call work things, and twice for SpiderMan rescuing an old lady/stopping a serial killer escaping from the FBI), and just as they start getting snuggly (and he's buying some wine in a convienence shop on their way home for a private nightcap), SHE spots him getting KISSED by the #1 SexPot in a HUGE cover story on the Weekly Insider (SexPot sneaks away and marries school sweetheart! Story inside!). Peter gets to the counter, and current GF breaks/empties the UNPAID wine over his head...

That's classic Spidey. He has more bad breaks in one day then any four average people get in their whole life. He will mug around about it for a bit, go beat the snot out of the top villians AND heroes of his world, go home, and get up to do it all again the next day. Occasionally, he'd say the hell with it, stop running around in tights, and get ahead in his private life. But eventually, he'd have to go back to web slinging. Sometimes, he'd say fuck off to the private life, and go web slinging wacko... until he needed to pay the back rent to sleep somewhere heated and buy some food to put in his belly.

He's classic soap opera... ;)

My ~mother~ loves Spiderman. She says its because he ALWAYS had more problems in his life then anyone she knew. Made her feel better. Made him seem like a real person, she says.

Spidey has to fight to make ends meet, and life just pours down on him constantly. But he stays in it. That's why Spidey is ~the man~.

Venom
02-07-2004, 14:24:33
I said Spider-Man is like me. And he is. SO SHUT IT!

I AM SPIDER-MAN!

zmama
02-07-2004, 14:26:50
And the second one is supposedly a better film than the first, whether or not you like Spidey.

MDA
02-07-2004, 14:42:24
More nipples in the rain? :cute:

zmama
02-07-2004, 14:52:25
Nah all the women wear Stillers sweatshirts! :D

Venom
02-07-2004, 15:21:54
There is an ever so brief nipple shot during the end fight. My trained eye easily caught it, however.

King_Ghidra
02-07-2004, 15:42:26
Why is Doc Oc wearing a leather coat. I didn't like that.

BigGameHunter
02-07-2004, 16:00:22
What would you prefer, a schoolgirl's uniform?

King_Ghidra
02-07-2004, 16:08:16
how about something resembling what he wore in the comics, smartass

zmama
02-07-2004, 16:32:24
You two are arguing about costuming?

:lol: how gay is that!?

BigGameHunter
02-07-2004, 16:38:48
*fullgaymodeon* He wore a purple jumpsuit a bowl cut and ski goggles in the comics, ass warden. *fullgaymodeoff*

Venom
02-07-2004, 16:53:19
Doc Ock often wore a brown trench coat in the comics to conceal his tentacles, as he does in the movies. How 8 foot metal tentacles hide in a jacket like that, I'll never know.

King_Ghidra@home
02-07-2004, 17:01:00
he had various different costumes in the comics

i preferred the one with the white lab coat for the authentic academic look:

http://www.comics-unlimited.com/actionfigures/sub/figure%20images/doctor.octopus-redcard.JPG

Venom
02-07-2004, 17:12:13
He is a Doctor after all.

Angelhorns
02-07-2004, 17:27:55
they make up shit for spiderman too, in the form of the villains. And batman is a regular guy too, albeit rich. Batman is teh best one I think. Dark, brooding and impenetrable. The villains are real guys too, they just all like lycra and face paints.
I preferred batman 2 as a film- there was real artistry in it whereas spidey is just churned out effects.
I dont expect you all to agree tho since you are all spideyed up.
Oh and Catwoman is just the best anti-heroine ever.

PS Darkstar- 'sexpot'?? has anyone even used that word since Marilyn Monroe died?

PPS I thought that nipples in the rain scene was pathetically gratuitous and way beneath an actress of Kirsten Dunst's standing.

MDA
02-07-2004, 18:02:30
I thought so too, but I didn't cover my eyes.

BigGameHunter
02-07-2004, 18:05:13
You could be the Nippleator and go around pixelating exposed nipples everywhere!

If you like comics, I suggest you read "Marvels" (graphic novel form) for an average guy's view of superheroes cavorting around the world...really good...up their with Watchmen, etc.

Darkstar
02-07-2004, 19:49:58
Sexpot is a commonly used phrase on this side of the Atlantic, AH.

Bats is by no means a "common guy". He isn't a common guy in the slightest.

#1) He's ultra mega rich. I mean, hell, Alfred has a butler of his own when he's off duty. Super, mega, mega, mega rich. Brucey often pays the entire lifestyles of the various members of the Justice League!

#2) He's a complete pscho with serious fragmentation of his personality. He's TWO people (3 technically, but they you rarely see #3 in classic Bat)... the ever prepared, super-paranoid, Bat. The man plans on aliens taking over his best friend's mind, and how to extract the possessed mind, stick it in a blender, and screen out the alien bits, *then* use the latest nano-technology from Wayne Medical Enterprises to rebuild his best friend's brain and transplant it back into his buddy's head! That's what the Bat does for light thinking while having a breakfast of scrambled eggs!

#2) The dilitiante playboy/ass kicking CEO (work hard, play harder). Sometimes, he tries to retreat over to that, but the BAT always chases him down to the Cave to get ready to go beat some punks, save a kitty, visit his favorite orphanage, do a little light S&M foreplay with Ivy or Catwoman, stop a mad-man from destroying the world, and donate some educational toys to good will just to keep a kid from turning into a punk that he'll need to beat up on a daily basis in 10 years.

#3) You almost never see in classic Bat, so it isn't worth talking about.

Batman is about the least "average man" hero there is. It's because he's so just super psycho. The only reason he's a hero is that he SAYS he's a hero. He's more bad boy then most of the villians he fights... that's why he wins. And that's why they want to fight him... basic alpha male versus alpha male dynamics. The only thing about Batman is that he "doesn't have any powers"... which isn't actually true. He has the power of "SUPER PARANOIA" as well as "UNBREAKABLE WILL". Come on, who PLANS on his servant's favorite pet dog being possessed by Yoh'ugo'sloth, and his favorite 2 seater "regular" car becoming possesed by the spirit of the 20th Century's greatest female serial killer? He does...

protein
02-07-2004, 20:46:34
I don't really dig super heros at all. I like the way Spiderman looks but he's a bit, you know...

Darkstar
02-07-2004, 21:11:51
No I don't. What? Pathetic?

I tend to gravitate to the "regular people" team types that were light soap operas. I liked to see the interactions between them, and how the various writers interpretted how worlds where people ran around in silly outfits with odd abilities would work, and how everyone would deal with stuff. If the soap opera elements got too heavy, I'd lose interest. If I wanted heavy soap opera stories, I'd watch soap operas, after all.

protein
02-07-2004, 22:12:02
I'm not into soap operas either. I don't know what it is about Superman, Spiderman, Captain America or whatever. They are kind of like all powerful ultimate bullies that think they are right all the time.

Then again I think I might be talking out of my arse because I love kung fu films and that's pretty much the same formula isn't it?

Hmm.

I'll get my coat...

BigGameHunter
02-07-2004, 23:16:49
The Ultimates (a more "realistic" take on superhero teams) would appeal to you Protein. Thor thinks Bush is a criminal and says so and sells his services to the US in exchange for forcing us to sign ecofriendly treaties, etc., Giant Man and The Wasp have addiction and domestic violence issues, Capt. America is portrayed as sort of an Oliver North type and so on.
Pretty cool.
Batman iz Gay.

Funkodrom
03-07-2004, 12:21:45
X-Men are the best super hero team. Spiderman is the best solo hero.

Captain America is the most lame, boring, uncharismatic hero ever invented.

Angelhorns
03-07-2004, 12:47:15
Spiderman is just boring though- he only has one skill- making webs. big deal!! Batman has loads of cool gadgets and is dark and mysterious. I like the revenge aspect of his cartoons. He does what we would all like to do but are too chicken shit for. Spiderman just seems to hate being a superhero, pines annoyingly over an ex, and accidentally gets embroiled in things he can only just get out of, like a kind of spiderified Frank Spencer.

King_Ghidra@home
03-07-2004, 16:16:30
he doesn't just have web making, he has his spider sense, super agility, super strength, wallcrawling...

he's not my favourite by any means

i'm a big Green Lantern fan

i tend to like the villains more though tbh :D

JM^3
03-07-2004, 18:14:09
I enjoyed it a lot

only made one thread though (at apolyton)

went to the 12:01 am showing

and when you see him fighting Doc Ock you realise that he has a lot more than just web making

Jon Miller

Angelhorns
03-07-2004, 19:00:56
yeah I forgot the spidey senses!
Still think he's dull though. I like my super heroes to be super, not normal.
I really like Preacher cartoon although thats more anti-hero

Chris
03-07-2004, 22:03:45
Spidey is more than what the movie shows, the comics version he is a genius, yet can never apply his mind to make money.

There is a major difference between Batman and Spiderman.
Batman is driven by a need for vengence.
Spiderman is driven by guilt.

Like many of Spiderman's villains, Otto Octavious is both evil and tragic, a victim of a radiation accident that drove him insane. The trench coat is what he wore in his first appearence back in the early 60s.

BTW, Captain American is a great character, you just have to read the right books, namely Avengers, and Tales of Suspense.

The Mad Monk
04-07-2004, 15:22:09
#3) You almost never see in classic Bat, so it isn't worth talking about.

You mentioned it, now dish.

The Mad Monk
04-07-2004, 15:23:36
Originally posted by Funkodrom
X-Men are the best super hero team. Spiderman is the best solo hero.

Captain America is the most lame, boring, uncharismatic hero ever invented.

How about Captain Britain? :)

You followed X-Men, what about Excalibur?

BigGameHunter
04-07-2004, 20:16:02
Wasn't the jingoistic Brit hero named Union Jack?

If you ever want a great "political" comic, dig up "Uncle Sam". Very good writing and art.

Chris
04-07-2004, 20:29:35
Union Jack was a WWII era hero.

Cap as written by Stan Lee is not jingoistic, in fact, he reflects Stan's heavy liberal leanings.

BigGameHunter
04-07-2004, 20:42:55
He also has a great back story. Sure, some of his story's are unimaginative, but in the right hands, he conveys the US splintered psyche pretty damn well.

Chris
04-07-2004, 20:47:53
How good Cap is depends on the era you are reading.

The 40s stuff is unreadable nonsense.
The 60s stuff is fantastic, Lee and Kirby have a lot of fun with cap.
The 70s are dull, as Cap is as freaked as the rest of us about how the country is.
The early 80s is okay, but from about 86-95 Cap is one of the best heros out there.
After that I have no idea.

BigGameHunter
04-07-2004, 21:04:14
He's pretty awesome currently...kind of a Boy Scout type but he kicks Hulk's ass, so I wouldn't mess with him.

Chris
04-07-2004, 21:08:19
The Hulk must be awful wimpy these days.

Cap's appeal was he wasn't super-powered, just the max a normal guy could be.

BigGameHunter
04-07-2004, 21:17:35
He uses his smarts...they've turned Hulk into a totally moronic monster..with C. America genes thrown in to boot. Banner is a total freak/loser in the Ultimates storyline...everyone pretty much is.

Chris
04-07-2004, 21:31:16
They regressed him back to that?

Man, I'm glad I quit before all this shit happened.

The most BORING Hulk was "Hulk hate puny human, hulk smash!"

And THAT is what they went back to???

Idiots.

The Mad Monk
05-07-2004, 02:59:12
Eighties - very early ninties was it, as far as I was concerned.

Claremont's X-Men roped me into the Marvel Universe, and between me and my brother we eventually subscribed to or bought regularly at least a dozen titles. I went for all the mutant titles, plus Daredevil, The Avengers, and two Conan titles. Pete went for all the Spiderman titles, plus Power Pack, The Punisher, The Hulk and Groo The Wanderer. Plus we both bought a smattering of whatever looked interesting at the moment.

We both -- abruptly -- lost interest before 1993; I know I felt the mutant franchise lost its magic after Claremont went his own way, but I don't know what happened with the rest of it.

It just didn't hold me anymore.

Darkstar
05-07-2004, 07:52:13
Groo does what Groo does best!

Ah, Groo. Been a long time. Maybe I should go by a comic shop and see what's on the rack these days that catch my eye...

The Mad Monk
05-07-2004, 09:27:17
I was living at home while I went to college; my parents had set up a fund when I was born, so that was covered, but I had a part time job to cover incidental and recreation expenses. Dad wasn't happy with how much money I was spending on comics, but he never said anything about it until this one time...

I had really gotten into comics -- searching for back issues, plastic bags, price lists, the whole shebang, so I was spending a not insignificant sum. Dad had run into a guy down the street who was a comics dealer, and was heading to a convention with a trunkful of comics -- perhaps I could talk to him? Sure!

So I walked down to this guy, we chatted about collecting for a bit, and I looked over what he had. There were several issues I had been looking for for awhile, and were at a reasonable price. I puchased them, and we parted ways. I happily returned to the house with my new finds.

Dad threw a fit -- I was supposed to sell him some of my comics, not buy more!

Funkodrom
05-07-2004, 11:32:54
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
How about Captain Britain? :)

You followed X-Men, what about Excalibur?

Excalibur was ok but not a patch on x-men. They did seem to spend a lot of time drawing pheonix in lacy underwear. Justice League Europe was a lot better.

Captain Britain was a total cock, which was quite nice in a hero. Kinda like one of the Green Lanterns...

Lurker
05-07-2004, 13:54:49
I'd like to know how any nipple scene could be gratuitous.

The Mad Monk
05-07-2004, 14:32:00
In many ways, I think the Captains Britain were Marvel's answer to the Green Lantern Corps.

Chris
05-07-2004, 14:39:24
He was created in the 70s for the European market.

He first shows up in Marvel Team-up, in a red costume and a union jack over his mug. He won't get the other look until years later.

BigGameHunter
05-07-2004, 18:32:39
The thong and umbrella?

The Mad Monk
05-07-2004, 19:27:42
Only on Alternate Earth 122.

The Mad Monk
05-07-2004, 19:31:32
I mean the way there is actually a whole slew of Captain Britains, all belonging to the same organization and drawing power from the same source, like the Green Lantern Corps, but instead of each one being based on a different planet, each is instead based on a different Alternate Earth.

BigGameHunter
08-07-2004, 17:49:05
Saw SM2 last night...it was good, solid...but it wasn't "awesome" in any way...did I miss something?
Plus, all that getting waved around in the air by Doc Oc and not one decent upskirt in the whole movie.

Venom
08-07-2004, 22:25:52
I saw it again today and still loved it. I'm not going to say that's I'm right and you're wrong, but you're a dumbass.

BigGameHunter
09-07-2004, 00:25:06
Hey, excuse me if I don't identify with some limp dicked nerd like you do.

Chris
09-07-2004, 02:49:52
Siskel & Hitler ^

Funkodrom
09-07-2004, 10:06:39
http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1277883&sdm=web&qtw=640&qth=400

Spidey 2 in lego.

Venom
09-07-2004, 13:32:51
Whoever did that has a lot of time on their hands.

Funkodrom
09-07-2004, 13:35:18
It looks very professional which is it's only downside

Venom
09-07-2004, 13:38:45
It is rather well polished. But the CGI is totally fake looking.

Funkodrom
16-07-2004, 08:20:27
What an amazing film.

Absolutely brilliant. It's perfectly captured the feel of the Spider-Man comics. Going to have to go and see it again.

Debaser
16-07-2004, 11:48:51
http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1277883&sdm=web&qtw=640&qth=400

Spidey 2 in lego.

That is amazing.

Angelhorns
17-07-2004, 00:48:31
I still dont get it

BigGameHunter
17-07-2004, 17:02:26
What, Legos? Maybe one of the engineers here can describe the elaborate, 3 Dimensional technology behind them...

Angelhorns
17-07-2004, 20:37:39
the concept of spiderman. he's a wimp, a doofus, a dork, a spod.
and tobey maguire has that same dripping with world sorrow might just kill myself look that Frodo sports towards the end of LOTR. And the effects are so fake and slick they're just boring.
Bring back 80's effects, at least it didnt look like you were watching a computer screen for 90 minutes. Mr Staypuft in Ghostbusters is fantastic effects and looks REAL.

Funkodrom
20-07-2004, 09:18:44
What's not to get? Imagine your cliched comic book reading kid... bit of a wimp/doofus/dork/spod right? Oh, but here's this superhero who's just like that but has as his alter ego this superconfident (seeming) wisecracking hero. Not only that but he's going out with a supermodel. Surely the concept and appeal are pretty obvious?

The other great thing about Spidey (as previously mentioned) is that he's just a normal person with a few powers, he's not invulnerable or a psycho. I remember a great story where he had a cold for the duration of the story and it was totally fucking him up. Just like when you try and go to work with a bad cold and can't concentrate properly...

Oh and the effects in Spidey 2 are about 1000% better than in Spidey 1. It's much more realistic.

Chris
20-07-2004, 11:19:28
Good point Mikey, Spidey often had battles when messed up.

I recall a fav, he had his arm in a sling in a fight vs the Vulture, great story.

Funkodrom
20-07-2004, 11:38:48
The Vulture was a pretty interesting villain as well.

I thought everyone liked Spider-Man. These recent discussions are ruining my happy little view of the world. :(

Chris
20-07-2004, 11:53:20
Girls never like super-heros, that is a guy thing.

Most of Spidey's early villains were pretty cool, none of them were super strong, they were usually clever.

Funkodrom
20-07-2004, 12:08:58
I dunno, I know a lot of girls who like Spider-Man (including Angelhorns best friend).

Chris
20-07-2004, 12:13:28
My wife always threatens to either burn them or throw them to the kids in the neighborhood.

When i was a kid, none of the girls liked any of that.

Funkodrom
20-07-2004, 12:16:22
Maybe you just didn't know the right girls? :)

I think it's changed in recent times though.

Chris
20-07-2004, 12:20:18
Maybe not, but that was the way it was back in the 70s.

Angelhorns
20-07-2004, 21:44:57
I dunno, I know a lot of girls who like Spider-Man (including Angelhorns best friend).

Yes she does, and I like Batman and Superman , I just find Spidey dull. I also liked Wonderwoman and Catwoman.
He's not superconfident and dating a model though is he Mikey? He's wimpy and nervous and he can't get his girl- in the last film at least. So in fact he's like an ordinary guy who turns into....an ordinary guy with a web coming out of his hands :D I dunno, you'd think I would like him seeing as how I admire rock climbing so much, but he just doesnt grab me. I like my superheroes a bit more weird and dark

Angelhorns
20-07-2004, 21:47:14
Originally posted by Chris
Maybe not, but that was the way it was back in the 70s.

I was born in the 70's and i LOVE comics. Possibly even more than real books. I was brought up on comics and I still get really excited about them. I had plans to create a comic about an avenging angel with a friend of mine, but it never quite happened.

MOBIUS
20-07-2004, 21:58:24
Saw Spidey 2, surprisingly good considering the first one...

7/10

Funkodrom
21-07-2004, 08:11:41
Originally posted by Angelhorns
Yes she does, and I like Batman and Superman , I just find Spidey dull. I also liked Wonderwoman and Catwoman.
He's not superconfident and dating a model though is he Mikey? He's wimpy and nervous and he can't get his girl- in the last film at least. So in fact he's like an ordinary guy who turns into....an ordinary guy with a web coming out of his hands :D I dunno, you'd think I would like him seeing as how I admire rock climbing so much, but he just doesnt grab me. I like my superheroes a bit more weird and dark

First thing is don't base Spider-Man on the last film, I'm talking about the general Spider-Man thing. In time Mary-Jane becomes a supermodel and she's married to Peter Parker. What I said was he appears to be superconfident when he's Spider-Man, which is a contrast to his normal self.

I always found Superman and Batman a bit boring because they didn't seem very human. Batman's too cold and unsympathetic and Superman is pretty much invulnerable.

BigGameHunter
21-07-2004, 16:05:28
Most comic heroes don't seem to get good biographical stories until they've been around a long time...they are not very deep.
Batman is one that has gotten fleshed out a lot.

For me, though he is kind of a gay character, I've always liked the story behind Silver Surfer.
SpiderMan is unique in the fact that he is practically the most "normal" hero there is.

Angelhorns
21-07-2004, 21:33:45
First thing is don't base Spider-Man on the last film, I'm talking about the general Spider-Man thing. In time Mary-Jane becomes a supermodel and she's married to Peter Parker. What I said was he appears to be superconfident when he's Spider-Man, which is a contrast to his normal self.

I always found Superman and Batman a bit boring because they didn't seem very human. Batman's too cold and unsympathetic and Superman is pretty much invulnerable.

hmmm.... well I guess everyone has their favourite hero! Batman and spiderman are kind of similar in many ways, both ordinary guys on a mission, just in different ways.

I'll probably go and see SPidey 2 just to see what the fuss is about anyway. I hated x-men 1 but I thought the second one was quite cool, specially Alan Cummings character

Funkodrom
21-07-2004, 22:45:25
Batman's a fucked up psycho revenge freak.

protein
21-07-2004, 22:51:47
I read the Beano when I was a kid. That appeals to me more than a christian spider.

Funkodrom
21-07-2004, 22:52:42
He's not a christian.

protein
21-07-2004, 22:59:16
A clean-living good guy then. If he was a bad guy I might enjoy it.

Actually, I probably wouldn't.

If I had to pick one superhero that I liked it would be Batman from the 1960s Batman tv show. That was quite cool. It wasn't trying to be serious. You can't be serious about a child's comic can you? Imagine a full blown serious Hollywood version of the Bash Street Kids starring Macaulay Culkin as Spud.

Funkodrom
22-07-2004, 08:00:51
Like I said in the other thread, it's your loss. :(

fp
22-07-2004, 09:21:11
Macaulay Culkin is too short to play Spud.

Funkodrom
22-07-2004, 09:23:50
Spud? I only remember Plug and there's only one potential candidate to play him...

http://uglyfootballers.com/genpage.asp?DocumentID=222

Venom
22-07-2004, 14:00:07
The original Batman movie was on last night. And damn that movie has not aged well. That thing sucks.

BigGameHunter
22-07-2004, 16:42:11
Tough role to find an actor for.
Maybe Clint Eastwood in his youth...

The Mad Monk
22-07-2004, 17:32:42
Originally posted by Chris
They regressed him back to that?

Man, I'm glad I quit before all this shit happened.

The most BORING Hulk was "Hulk hate puny human, hulk smash!"

And THAT is what they went back to???

Idiots.

My read an issue with the New Hulk.

It wasn't "Hulk hate puny human, hulk smash!".

It was more along the lines of "Hulk love tasty human, hulk munch!"

Venom
22-07-2004, 18:10:37
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Tough role to find an actor for.
Maybe Clint Eastwood in his youth...

Christian Bale will pull it off nicely in the most recent version.

fp
22-07-2004, 21:25:16
Venom is imagining Christian Bale nicely pulling off Batman? Sounds kinda gay to me.

BigGameHunter
22-07-2004, 21:48:54
We're not responsible for your nancy boy euphamisms here in the land of straight talking, two fisted action adventure.

fp
22-07-2004, 23:34:35
I'd like some two-fisted action, please.

Venom
23-07-2004, 00:02:20
We're not suprised to hear that.

Angelhorns
23-07-2004, 00:24:43
Batman's a fucked up psycho revenge freak.

so we've established Venom has the wrong avatar...but whats your point? :D

BigGameHunter
23-07-2004, 00:51:01
Show's what you know...one little change of uniform and his avatar is fine.

Darkstar
23-07-2004, 18:28:35
Very true. We had to bug him to change that uniform/avatar in the first place.

Venom
23-07-2004, 18:49:23
Yeah, I used to have that one.

Darkstar
23-07-2004, 18:50:24
You didn't lose it, did you?

Venom
23-07-2004, 22:38:55
It was on my work computer. :(

Darkstar
23-07-2004, 22:43:56
That sucks. Well, if you can find an another that is too big, we can always shrink it down for you.

Venom
23-07-2004, 22:51:03
Hey thanks dumbass, but I am a web guy. I can handle that all by my self.

Darkstar
23-07-2004, 22:55:19
You are welcome, fatass. You didn't say you still had any tools left at home. I mean, if you were Drekkus enough to only have your Venom avatar at work, what else did you leave there?

Venom
23-07-2004, 22:58:24
Well guess what I just found....

And when it comes to software theft from my old company, I'm on top of my game.

BigGameHunter
23-07-2004, 23:46:01
I hope you formatted your drive on the way out too...that's always a nice trick.

Venom
23-07-2004, 23:51:59
If they can even turn it on I'd be suprised.

Chris
24-07-2004, 13:00:52
Originally posted by Venom
The original Batman movie was on last night. And damn that movie has not aged well. That thing sucks. The one from 1990?

I haven't seen it in years, but it wouldn't surprise me it sucks now.

Look at Superman, everybody loved it when it came out in the late 70s, now, it is so crappy as to be unwatchable.

Angelhorns
24-07-2004, 20:36:05
Christopher Reeve rocks!!

Well, he blinks now :(

Darkstar
25-12-2004, 05:58:07
Her-rumph.

Well, I've just seen this movie. I can see how the spidey effects could put some people off.

I thought Ocky was well done.

Other then that, I'd rate this movie slightly below average for a superhero flick. And that is with my Spiderman bias (being a reformed Spidey fanboy). A bit too much of him running around, unmasked. Too much Hobgoblin Junior. Too much happy feelings and happy happy endings.

Funnily enough, everyone has given everyone else Spidey 2. I got a kick out of that. That was a lot of copies wrapped up for Christmas. Good consumerism at work, and all that jazz.

fp
25-12-2004, 08:13:13
I saw it again last night for the second time. Not as impressed with it as I was the first time, but I still reckon it's a decent movie. Considering how utterly terrible most superhero flicks are (Daredevil? Hellboy?) I'd say this one was definitely above average for the genre, but it isn't great.

The Mad Monk
05-01-2005, 09:02:37
I watched SM2 at my brother's house for the first time over Christmas.

My ratings:

Plot: 2 craters
Characterizations: 3 craters
Dialogue: 5 craters
Special Effects: 1 crater.

Craters: number of craters left from repeatedly banging my head into the wall while watching the movie.

Venom
05-01-2005, 13:22:23
Everyone who doesn't like Spider-Man 2 is going to hell to be sodomized Ivan the Terrible and his chainmail condom.

King_Ghidra
05-01-2005, 13:49:21
how terrible can he really be if he practices safe sex?

Funkodrom
05-01-2005, 14:05:01
How big are your sperm?!

King_Ghidra
05-01-2005, 14:18:57
i've heard better chat-up lines before, i'll admit

The Mad Monk
05-01-2005, 14:46:47
Originally posted by Venom
Everyone who doesn't like Spider-Man 2 is going to hell to be sodomized Ivan the Terrible and his chainmail condom.

Oh, please. How can you call yourself a fan if you consider their characterisation of Peter Parker acceptable? The acting was wooden and limp, the lines were hackneyed -- and not the good comic-book hackneyed, either.

They made him lame. Parker was was always unlucky and a geek, but he was never lame.

Funkodrom
05-01-2005, 14:47:52
What film were you guys watching? Lame? Huh?

The Mad Monk
05-01-2005, 14:49:48
In other news, 400 issues of Amazing Spider Man (and a few related titles) have been released on an eleven DVD set. I mean the complete issues, not just cover art and selected pages.

It was on sale at Costco for $29.

Funkodrom
05-01-2005, 15:02:55
Why does it take 11 DVDs for that?

Venom
05-01-2005, 15:23:18
That's a lot of pages.

King_Ghidra
05-01-2005, 15:26:48
That's a cool idea. I'd buy something like that.

Venom
05-01-2005, 15:35:31
Good price too.

Funkodrom
05-01-2005, 16:06:12
Yeah, a lot of pictures but at 4.7 gig per DVD that's over 50 gig of storage!

Venom
05-01-2005, 16:53:16
Figure each page to be say....8-10mb on the high side. That's not too bad.

fp
05-01-2005, 18:03:11
You want the pics to be insanely high res for them to display properly on a TV screen, so it's really a good sign that it comes on so many DVDs.

Darkstar
05-01-2005, 23:37:15
Oh, please Venom. Get real. Too many "feel good" moments for Parker. You cut down on all the unmasked running around, and only have Auntie encouraging him, and let him end up getting back together with MJ, but not her KNOWING his big secret, and it would have been pretty decent Spiderman film. (Well, setting aside that you don't 'drown' a ball of hydrogen by dumping it into a big reserve of more hydrogen when you are trying to stop the ball from growing in the first place. Can't even follow basic comic book physics! Bad script writers!)

The bit at the end with Doc Ock should have been re-written so Parker reminds Doc about his wife, and if she'd want the world destroyed. Then Doc could get all super sentimental about it, and do his bit to stop the death of the world, for his sweetums. They spent enough film to establish how deep he felt for her.

I could write a better Spiderman script, drunk, puking into the big white phone. So they have no excuses.

Venom
06-01-2005, 00:44:08
You better practice grabbing your ankles now for when you arrive in hell.

Darkstar
06-01-2005, 01:38:43
I'm not going to be getting reamed in hell for dissing S2, Venom. Other things maybe, but not that.

The Mad Monk
06-01-2005, 05:01:20
Found it on Amazon, found my memory was a little faulty -- it's 500 issues (:)) on CD-ROM (:()

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006Q7FEM/qid=1104987524/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-4366782-2030557?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846

fp
06-01-2005, 12:49:15
Originally posted by Darkstar

The bit at the end with Doc Ock should have been re-written so Parker reminds Doc about his wife, and if she'd want the world destroyed. Then Doc could get all super sentimental about it, and do his bit to stop the death of the world, for his sweetums. They spent enough film to establish how deep he felt for her.

That would have been no less lame IMHO.

Funkodrom
06-01-2005, 13:05:09
I even think that's lamer.

protein
06-01-2005, 13:25:43
Originally posted by fp
You want the pics to be insanely high res for them to display properly on a TV screen, so it's really a good sign that it comes on so many DVDs.
Don't you get 24 insanely high resoluion pictures every second on DVD movies? That's roughly 300,000 insanely high resolution pictures per DVD. How many pages in a child's comic?

Funkodrom
06-01-2005, 13:28:32
Not exactly, the way they store the information means it's not exactly a new frame a second, they have all kinds of clever video compression algorithms that mean you aren't storing whole pictures like that.

Also, rather than storing each page they might store each pane or panel as a new image.

Debaser
06-01-2005, 13:30:25
*points up*

It's 11 CD-roms, not DVDs. Like, get with the program...

Funkodrom
06-01-2005, 13:31:06
If you are interested the basic principle is that in DVD (mpeg encoding) they just store the change to each picture from the previous one, not the whole picture. But in a comic or static images each image will be totally new so you can't do that.

fp
06-01-2005, 18:20:49
Thanks google.

Darkstar
06-01-2005, 21:12:18
I even think that's lamer.

99% of the times (at least!) that the Villian suddenly sees the light, its lame. But you can at least keep it in the character you have established. And it would have dove-tailed nicely with the "Love conquers all" theme that the movie focuses on.