PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

MOBIUS
20-06-2004, 12:46:28
Well that was a whacko movie!

Kate Winslett actually plays a compelling character and Jim Carrey is very good in this too, having matured from being an annoying twat and actually getting his teeth into some decent roles for a change...

Very weird and about memory loss!

8/10

The Shaker
20-06-2004, 13:01:31
Though a bit dragged out.

MOBIUS
20-06-2004, 14:35:11
Yeah, there was a point towards the end where it did start to drag but then when the ending started wrapping up it was OK

JM^3
20-06-2004, 14:50:37
my freind like this a lot

Jon Miller

Drekkus
19-07-2004, 13:17:35
Yeah, never heard about this movie at all until I was sitting in the movie theater watching it. Nice love story. I like films that make you wonder what it's about and then bit by bit make it clear.

MOBIUS
19-07-2004, 14:40:50
Fuck me, a grammatical error AND a spelling mistake in two short sentences! What is happening to me!!?:eek:

Thank you Drekkus for bringing this to my attention...

Scabrous Birdseed
24-08-2004, 15:20:21
Just came up in theaters here so I just saw it now.

The thing that annoyed me for most of the film but that I ended up being quite positive about is the dramaturgy. Instead of (in conventional hollywood manner) throwing light on the previous portions through shocking revelations and truths, it actually tells you pretty much everything of the bare-bones story twenty minutes in and then spends the time up to the ending 20 minutes just throwing in warm, realistic detail. Despite the convulted format and everything it's at heart a really, really, simple bitter-sweet love story, reminded me of Woody Allen's "Manhattan" a bit.

It was a bit too simple, though. Nothing in it felt universal, it wasn't about memory it was about Jim Carrey's character's memory, etc. I didn't feel aesthetically overwhelmed either but I guess that, too, was part of the point. Still, I prefer a bit more artistic complexity to my films, symbolism and themes and big ideas and stuff.

4/5 glows.

BigGameHunter
24-08-2004, 17:24:19
I haven't seen it but I'm sure I disagree completely with everything you've just said.

Debaser
24-08-2004, 18:30:30
Yeah, me too. I've not seen it either, but that review's a fucking disgrace. Sort it out!

Scabrous Birdseed
24-08-2004, 19:05:45
That was spectacularly ill-written, yes. :)

I've got a proper review all in my head but it'd take too much effort to write out.

BigGameHunter
24-08-2004, 22:44:25
Well, for one thing, you shit all over it and then give it a 4 out of a 5.
Aside from that and your meandering point and inability to take a firm stand anywhere in the review at all, it is spectacular.

protein
25-08-2004, 22:39:05
I saw it on a plane after being awake for about 32 hours. I can't remember much but I remember thinking "wow, Jim Carrey can really act" and "what's going on, I'm tired" and "I feel sick, I want to get off now" and "I need a wee, I hope this turbulance stops soon".