PDA

View Full Version : Router problem

MDA
15-06-2004, 22:38:07
I have two computers at home- one for work stuff and one for home stuff. I need (or would like) to have both connected to the internet so I'm not crawling around on the floor (more importantly, so my wife doesn't have to crawl around on the floor) when "we" need to use the work computer.

I've got Verizon DSL at the moment, and it works fine if I connect right from the DSL box to my home computer. When I connect it and the work computer to a router, I get no internet connection from either computer.

I have two "go" lights on the router, everything seems to be hooked up correctly (cable from wall to DSL box, cable from DSL box to router (IN) and two cables OUT from the router (one to each computer).

Everything has power.

What the hell am I doing wrong?:mad:

miester gandertak
16-06-2004, 07:28:31
you're home network works fine?

witch o.s. ?

Sir Penguin
16-06-2004, 07:36:12
Does the router have its own MAC address? If so, the ISP might be expecting your computer's MAC address instead of the router's.

SP

MDA
16-06-2004, 09:56:45
Thanks. I'll try looking for the MAC address, whatever that is. :)

One comp is XP, the other Win2000.

Drekkus
16-06-2004, 10:06:32
I have recently installed a router so that my pc is connected by a cable, and my laptop via wireless. But every now and then, my connection on the pc dies. But when I unplug the cable, and put it right back again, it is up again. Anyone know why/how this happens?

zmama
16-06-2004, 10:50:59
MDA...in networking two addresses are used, the IP addy and the MAC. The Mac is an address given to every piece of network hardware.

For help with your problem try going through the steps here, a great site!

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/dsl.htm

MDA
16-06-2004, 11:49:48
I'll try some of that when I get home. :wine:

MDA
16-06-2004, 11:56:25
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=484

Yay! I was just being dense, I'll bet.

I had depleted my mental energy figuring out why my KVM switch would only let me use the home computer.

Darkstar
16-06-2004, 21:28:28
I've done similar stuff, MDA...

Based on my experiences, I'd say:

1) You need get a hub/router for home. Hook it up to your DSL Box. Then you need to call its MAC address in to your ISP. They'll enter that into their system, and the system will let the hub on in 15 minutes to an hour later.

2) Hook your home system into the hub.

3) Run the Admin config on your hub to change its default admin password to something else... even if it's something simple like your wife's name. Change anything else you want to (like it starting at .100 for addresses it assigns or whatever).

4) Reboot home machine. Start using it.

5) Hook your work machine into your hub. Turn on work machine. Start using it.

Most of the ISP systems I've heard about or used only track ONE MAC address. That's the actual serial number that uniquely identifies that network card as an accesser from all others. Because of that, you will either have to either call in your home or work computer's MAC every time you swap over to using it (and wait the extra time for the change of MAC number in their DB to process on their side), or get a home router/hub, hook it up, and call in its MAC. Then you can plug in all the computers and other IP equipment into it that you want, and never call in another MAC. Until it goes bad (like, from a lightning strike), then you start the process all over again.

Have fun.

MDA
16-06-2004, 22:13:52
I already have router, supplied to me by the IT guys at work. I'm putting this off until I can restock my beer. :p

Darkstar
16-06-2004, 22:46:24
Then part of step 1 is complete. Congrats!