PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Conversion help

Nills Lagerbaak
14-06-2004, 13:05:41
Right, help needed please.

I wrote a little ditty in Reason and Cubase. I exported the reason part as a .wav file (high sample rate etc. etc. ) and imported it into cubase.

I played the whole song in cubase only and it sounds fine.

Now I export the mix down of the whole song from Cubase as an MP3 (here I choose the highest quality conversion options)
When I play the MP3 on windows media player or something like that, the bits that were originally recorded in Cubase sound great but the stuff recorded on reason is REALLY low quality.

What's going on???

Funkodrom
14-06-2004, 13:07:36
What does it sound like when you export from Cubase as a Wav? You could do that then convert it afterwards from Wav to mp3.

Nills Lagerbaak
14-06-2004, 13:09:33
Interesting point, I shall try that. Only problem is that I don't have any MP3 conversion software. You have any?

Debaser
14-06-2004, 13:15:37
Download this (http://download.com.com/3000-2140-10262645.html?tag=lst-0-2). It's free, and only a tiny download...

Scabrous Birdseed
14-06-2004, 13:26:56
The reason stuff might have been exported to Cubase using some kind of compression, which when combined with the MP3 protocol would have resulted in massive losses. Never mix compression formats, they remove different bits from the files!

Nills Lagerbaak
14-06-2004, 13:55:02
Reason didn't tell me it was using compression when it exported (it was in .wav format, and I chose all the highest sampling options) The file was massive, but there could have been hidden compression. If there is then it effectively makes the export feature useless if you ever want to produce a song to be played on any kind of hi-fi

Nills Lagerbaak
30-06-2004, 20:45:31
OK, this is a total mystery..... I tried to use the MP3 converter that Debaser gave me, but it just hung. Then I exported from Cubase as MP3, as per the above method but this time opened it up in Real Player (I was using Windows media player before) and what do you know? Works perfect!!
Somebody please explain this to me cos I hate mysteries unless scooby doo and the gang get involved.
Oh, I also tried exporting from Cubase as .wma file, and that works fine in Windows media player?!?!?!