PDA

View Full Version : Digits...

Darkstar
02-06-2004, 20:38:48
Look at that. I got post "7777" in thread "444" here. A nice 'odemeter' event.

(This post was made just to push the 'odemeters' over. ;))

Sir Penguin
02-06-2004, 21:34:46
That rates a 0 on the odemeter. Too short.

SP

Sir Penguin
02-06-2004, 21:48:27
Actually, now that I think about it, odes don't even have a set meter. They're supposed to be iambic though.

SP

Darkstar
02-06-2004, 23:33:58
:lol:

Kory
17-06-2004, 23:29:42
They're classically iambic because they're stupid English poetry.

I'd rather write a rondeau.

-- Kory (Iambic pentameter is for wimps.)

Kory
17-06-2004, 23:39:38
Oh, anyone can write in sonnet style;
pentameter is natural and fun.
Although sometimes it might take you a while,
you'll find you think it's easy once you're done.

Iambic means the stress comes last, not first,
in paired syllables that make up a line,
and those who find it simple are "well-versed."
(In Shakespeare's time a pun was quite divine.)

That leaves only the rhyme scheme now to write --
a thing that many poets hate to do.
But don't you fuss and don't put up a fight:
you only have to rhyme in groups of two.

I did this on the fly, I think you know,
but now I really, really have to go.

Kory
17-06-2004, 23:40:48
*puts up a sign that reads "sonnets in 10 minutes or your money back"*

*puts up another sign that reads "but you aren't paying me anyhow, and why not?"*

-- Kory (Look. I'm bored. Did I mention that? I don't like my job. I'm bored with it. Bored.)

JM^3
17-06-2004, 23:51:14
I thought that you were a writer?

Jon Miller

Kory
18-06-2004, 00:01:18
Writing doesn't pay the bills, so I have to come sit in a cubicle all day and pretend I'm working in the online publishing industry.

-- Kory (Believe me, I would kill to be able to write full-time.)

Darkstar
18-06-2004, 02:48:52
Is that the job that kept you so busy last year?

Kory
18-06-2004, 16:52:31
Same job, alas. 4.5 years, now. It's really not any less busy overall, I just happened to have a couple low-task days due to deadline/scheduling coincidences.

They're talking about firing me for too many sick days (I have chronic migraines). I tried jumping through their hoops about getting an exception, and despite copious amounts of paperwork to prove I actually have migraines, they decided they didn't have enough and denied me the exception.

Yesterday, I decided I no longer cared. Let them fire me. I have enough money in my retirement fund to get me the hell out of California and give me a few months living expenses somewhere sane and STILL cover the tax penalty, and given my typing speed and my familiarity with computers I can get a temp job in under a week in any reasonably-sized city. A temp job may not be my ideal job, but it'd pay the bills while I looked for something better, and it'd be far less stress...

Or, in the immortal words of Cartman, "Screw you guys, I'm going home."

-- Kory (Screw... home.)

BigGameHunter
19-06-2004, 00:47:09
Come to Oregon. Lousy jobs, but great place to be a writer.
Honest...check out all the great writers from here.

Darkstar
21-06-2004, 02:49:01
Damn Kory, I'm sorry to hear that. You know you always have a chair here to sit and just chat with everyone. Unfortunately, it doesn't have room for people to move in. :(

Well, good luck. With any modicum of luck, the change will be a good one for you.

BigGameHunter
21-06-2004, 17:02:33
Just remember, it's all relative...the job you hate today may well be the job you love when you get your next one!

Kory
23-06-2004, 20:28:53
No... no, I think I'll still hate what this one's turned into even if I also hate the next one.

Anyhow. I'm going to try to hang on for a few months longer. If they haven't fired me by the holidays, I'll resign.

-- Kory (Screw... home.)

BigGameHunter
23-06-2004, 22:33:49
Hmmmm....it would be so much better to be let go...then you could go on the dole! Hang in there...where are you anyhow? UK? USA? Guess rules are different...

Darkstar
23-06-2004, 22:53:01
She's USA. West Coast. California, if I remember right (probably not though).

Kory
27-06-2004, 07:57:25
No, that's right. Califnordia.

BGH, if I were in the UK, that'd work. Alas, unemployment here is pretty much trash. I could probably get it for what they'd fire me for (medical assertion of migraines is good proof they're being unfair) but I'd have to seriously job hunt to continue receiving it and I'd be lucky to get 6 mos worth. Still, if they let me go anytime in the near future, I will collect what I can. With any luck it'll be enough to cover rent while I look into moving.

-- Kory (I have a cunning plan. Or something.)