PDA

View Full Version : I know nothing, please help me.

fp@korea
27-05-2004, 06:41:58
I'm going to install an English version of XP Pro on a friend's machine over the weekend. She has a Korean version and is really struggling to do stuff because she can't read the menus.

Basically I want to know what stuff on her hard-drive, if any, will get lost in the switch. Obviously I know that just reinstalling the OS won't reformat the whole drive, but I've never done this before so I'm not sure (for example) if she should back up anything in her My Documents folder in case she loses it.

Basically I want some techie to tell me it'll be OK so if it all goes wrong I can blame the Evil Internet People and hopefully not get shouted at. :D

Sir Penguin
27-05-2004, 06:51:57
Reformatting is the far better option, if you can do that. Otherwise, I don't think anything valuable would be replaced.

Do you actually need to reinstall? Can you not just change the default language locale?

SP

zmama
27-05-2004, 09:20:35
She should back up her my documents anyway. Nothing is likely to happen but it only takes a couple of mins. to back up.

fp@korea
28-05-2004, 01:15:00
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
Can you not just change the default language locale?

Possibly, but if I can't read the menus in the first place it might be difficult. I've never had to do that before.

How do I do it?

Sir Penguin
28-05-2004, 07:34:55
Good point, and I really don't know. There's a "Regional and Language Options" utility in the control panel, but I don't know if that will be useful.

SP

Venom
28-05-2004, 12:21:59
Perhaps you know someone nearby that can read the menus?

Lurker
28-05-2004, 14:51:08
If you have an English version of XP you could look at your system and see whether the option you're looking for is there. That might not help you figure out how to do it on the Korean version, bu at least you'll know whether you need to install a different version of XP as opposed to just changing what's already installed.

fp@korea
30-05-2004, 06:33:26
Well it all seemed to work out fine - i installed the english version without many problems and it all seemed to be functioning properly.

Thanks for your help guys.