PDA

View Full Version : BIOS upgrades

MDA
21-05-2004, 15:39:59
how difficult/dangerous is it, and can it actually do any good?

I've always been afraid to try.

Gary
21-05-2004, 16:25:40
Bit of a wide open question that. Depends I guess on the circumstances etc. Like whether the manufacturer was expecting you to try :)

I'de reloaded BIOS without problem before now, but I have also received a free motherboard from a friend when he tried to do his and screwed it. (He figured it was easier to buy another board.)

Generally speaking, by the time a BIOS looks dated it's probably time to upgrade the whole board anyway. If you're going to try it, take a look first to see if the chip is socketed or surface mounted or what. Some screw-ups are easier to repair than others ;)

zmama
21-05-2004, 17:34:57
You can do it MDA...just follow the instructions carefully. And make sure its the right one for your bios and motherboard.

As to whether you need it or want it...depends on if you're having problems or the new Bios does stuff you want.

MDA
21-05-2004, 18:11:47
"the right BIOS" is the problem. Gateway says it is, but I no longer trust them.

I could put up with it for a few more months until I can put a new one together, especially when I don't know if there's any advantage to it.

I've pondered this with multiple computers over time and always figured the benefits weren't worth the risks.

zmama
21-05-2004, 18:14:27
Yeah...just wait for your new computer. Save up those doubloons. :D

No longer Trippin
21-05-2004, 18:27:29
Why do you need to upgrade your BIOS anyhow? Everything in it should be supported by the BIOS since it is a Gateway BIOS in a Gateway computer. There are no real performance benefits for the average user running an OEM box from BIOS upgrades unless you need it because of some compatibility problem with something purchased later on.

MDA
21-05-2004, 19:01:24
That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to every other time I've considered it Trip. I always end up looking at what I've got to see if it could benefit from some tweaking and then leave it be.

Mostly I'm just itching to DO something, the computer is probably a bad target. Maybe I'll just take my wife to dinner, instead. :) I think its the sudden switch from working 120 hours in two weeks to "any 80". I'm still adjusting.

zmama
21-05-2004, 19:15:12
Plant a couple of pots of tomatoes, learn to make your own beer, take up fencing, organize a DC meet...lots of things you could do :D

MDA
21-05-2004, 20:15:55
The first two on that list are actually on my list. :lol:

The beer will have to wait, unless I can rig up a way to cook it outside. Confining that smell in a two-bedroom apartment is a bad idea. Not impossible. I have 4 planters big enough to house a full-grown tomato plant.

DC meet will probably not happen until we have a house, but a CG cookout would be fun.

Lurker
21-05-2004, 20:54:30
Only if no one showed up.

zmama
21-05-2004, 20:55:49
My Uncle made beer in a one bedroom apartment !
I have a very tolerant Auntie :D