PDA

View Full Version : Bad video card?

Lurker
18-05-2004, 18:19:39
Came home about a week ago fairly late and my computer monitor was black. The computer was on, though. There had been a power outage related to thunderstorm activity while I was out, so I assume it rebooted once the power came on. (Yes, I have a surge protector, although just a fairly basic one.)

Anyway, the first problem I had is that I lost my internet connection. The ethernet connection was showing up with a red "x" on it, although the device manager said it was enabled. Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver with no success. Called the cable company to make sure I had service and they confirmed their connection to my modem. We tried a few things with no success and finally they said I should first change the cable between the modem and computer and then try a new ethernet card.

Bought a new ethernet card, but before installing it I realized the modem has a USB connection, so I connected via a USB port and it worked. Based on that I assumed it was a problem either with the ethernet card or cable. Being the lazy sort, though, and having two USB ports, I just kept the USB connection for the time being.

The problem is the monitor continues to go black from time to time. It hasn't done it while the computer was in use, but that's not to say it wouldn't. I just haven't been on the home machine much. It would, however, consistently go black if left idle for a couple of hours.

When this happens I reboot (turn it off and on) and usually the monitor will quickly give a flicker of color grids (for lack of a better description) before displaying the desktop, which it didn't previously do. That occurs after all the BIOS stuff. I also get the windows error messages related to the shutdown. I let windows send a report of the error once and got back a reply that said it appears the error was caused by my video card. (Radeon 9800 Pro).

So that problem's still there and now I can't get internet access even through the USB connection. I know I should uninstall and reinstall the latest graphics driver, and I'll do that, but could something like that affect my internet connection? I don't see how it could and I've got a bad feeling my problems are more than just a graphics driver.

zmama
18-05-2004, 18:36:57
I don't think so either...the power surge may have damaged your motherboard. Try installing the ethernet card and see if you can get that to work.

And go get a UPS...spend the $50 and get your computer some better protection. It looks like there are going to be a lot of thunderstorms this spring

Lurker
18-05-2004, 19:03:34
Yeah, I was thinking MB also. Damn.

zmama
18-05-2004, 19:11:46
It may not be...try the ethernet card.

Do both the usb ports work? Try swaping those out.
Did you check the display settings? Are they where they should be?

Lurker
18-05-2004, 19:33:59
My headphones are plugged into the other USB port, but I haven't used them since the USB internet connection went bye-bye, so I don't know whether that port works. Either way, too much is going wrong at once. A bad ethernet card presumably isn't causing my USB connection to fail or my monitor to go black. Ugh.

MDA
18-05-2004, 19:44:47
Yow. Maryland seems to be just as thunderstorm prone as the midwest. I'm supposed to be protected from pretty big surges, but now I'm paranoid. :nervous:

zmama
18-05-2004, 19:46:11
No...but a surge could have messed up the vid settings. Unfortunately it could be many things...maybe the MB, maybe the power supply. Try to mess around a bit and see

Lurker
18-05-2004, 19:50:51
Can Windows monitor power output? I seem to recall that something can, but I can't recall what.

MDA
18-05-2004, 19:51:03
disconnect/reconnect all the cables :)

Lurker
18-05-2004, 20:00:38
Thanks.

Darkstar
18-05-2004, 22:04:20
After 2 hours, your MONITOR goes black? Could it be... POWERSAVER? You know, that Green Friendly stuff? Sounds like you just got that setting reset.

Your ethernet connection/card could have fried out.

There isn't a commercial surge protector in the world that can protect your equipment from a close lightning strike. Surge protectors will stop the weak spike travelling down your phone, cable, or power line though. So they do actually give you SOME protection.

Power output? You mean, into your box? Get a USB ported Battery Backup unit... then you will be able to see the power being fed into your system. But just look out... out of the 6 top rated "home" versions I've used, 3 went bad and started senging spikes and dropping power to the computer. I'm not impressed with anything out there at this time.

I'm not currently using anything other then a basic surge protector at this time... as my notebook has a battery, so no worries about power outages while I'm doing work on it. ;)

No longer Trippin
19-05-2004, 08:55:48
Can you play an intense 3D game for about 30 minutes with no flickering? FPS games within the past 6 to 12 months preferably, but if not the newest you have will do. If the card is bad going into 3D should outright kill it and have it crash back to desktop if it is bad. So if it crashes, it is the card, if it doesn't, or you already have played a game, then it may not be the card but still could be. Swapping monitors now would be what I'd do. Any size will do.

Lurker
21-05-2004, 15:08:42
The only games I own are BF 1942, BF Vietnam and KOTOR. I guess BFV is the most graphics intensive of the three. I'll try it for a while in single play and see what happens. Like I said, though, I wouldn't think a video card problem would cause my internet connections to fail.