PDA

View Full Version : Black screen after thunderstorm

Chairman Yang
11-05-2004, 08:04:27
Large thunderstorm passed over when sleeping, tried booting but screen remains black and green little lamp turns orange like when in power save. Connected another screen to see if that was what was broke, but nay. My guess is the graphics card or whatever little card the screen is connected to got damaged, but it might as well be the entire comp whos kabanged. Dont know much about what mightve happened during a thunderstorm so thought of asking here if anyone could put a finger more specifically on whats broke and must be changed out or fixed. Everything else seems to be working as it should, green lights and humming fans, but no other way to tell really. Ta for any help.

zmama
11-05-2004, 11:26:33
It could be the graphics card or it could be the motherboard.
When you boot it up do you hear any beeps? And are they different than usual?

Nav
11-05-2004, 20:27:24
Have you tried disconnected the power cable for while?

Deacon
11-05-2004, 21:50:14
Could be damaged video hardware. If you've got an extra video card lying around, you could try switching. Hopefully only the video card was damaged. My understanding is that power strip surge protectors are okay, and mains surge protectors are better. And having a UPS for brown-outs is good too.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
12-05-2004, 02:27:15
Borrow someone's power supply and try swapping it out first. Then do the same with the video card if that doesn't fix it. If that doesn't work, get someone local to look at it (friend, paid person, whatever).

notyoueither
12-05-2004, 04:59:58
Qaj has it with the power supply. If you're lucky it died when it sucked a jolt and did not pass anything on into the computer.

You don't have a modem, do you? Point of entry for a surge can be there during electrical storms.

Hopefully it is just your power supply (cheap and easy, relatively).

No longer Trippin
12-05-2004, 05:32:16
You haven't gotten any beeps from your bios indicating any failures? If not, probably the vid card. I'm taking that this isn't a current generation or "last generation," something like a G4 or older isn't drawing much to worry about killing any PSU. The power requirements on those things isn't squat so I would doubt it is the power supply.

Venom
12-05-2004, 12:41:07
Ha ha. Yang's machine got smoked by lightning.

Chairman Yang
13-05-2004, 07:06:56
When you boot it up do you hear any beeps? And are they different than usual?

Cant remember anything different, except for the screen not clicking and buzzing as usual of course. No beeps from the bios so I should hope it's only the vid card.

You don't have a modem, do you?

Yes actually. Usually I'd pull the cord during thunder, but I was...sleeping. Does it has any significance that it's integrated? Lost an external one in another thunderstorm some time back, but that was all I lost. Damn countryside.

I'll try changing power supply, but I'd guess it's the card.

Meh, anyway I'l probably have someone look at it. At the moment I feel a bit like I'm on comp detox, staring blankly at the screen for at times, flipping it on just to listen to the fan for a while, being really really bored and suddenly you wonder why youre not at the comp, and a split sec later realising it's dead...dead. So just as well it stays that way for a while eh, and just as well it happened. Actually reading books again. :)

Thanks for help clearing out what it mightve been, cheers.

Darkstar
13-05-2004, 21:56:21
if the video card is dead, shouldn't he get some beep code? That's what happened in the Way Back with hardware, anyways.

Darkstar
13-05-2004, 21:58:12
Oh... I've had that kind of lightning strike. For me, it was a burnt modem and burnt pipe cache. The machine would start up, and just show black screen. The HD would spin up, and the fans would spin up, but it wouldn't do much past that. One set of replaced pipe cache, and the system booted. Had to replace the modem (of course) to do dial out, but thems the breaks.

Good luck!

No longer Trippin
14-05-2004, 02:58:14
Nevermind

Scabrous Birdseed
14-05-2004, 18:54:47
In Utero

Darkstar
14-05-2004, 19:10:20
Originally posted by No longer Trippin
Nevermind

Makes me wonder what book just disappeared into the bit bucket. :coolgrin:

Chris
16-05-2004, 17:23:26
Originally posted by Darkstar
Oh... I've had that kind of lightning strike. For me, it was a burnt modem and burnt pipe cache. The machine would start up, and just show black screen. The HD would spin up, and the fans would spin up, but it wouldn't do much past that. One set of replaced pipe cache, and the system booted. Had to replace the modem (of course) to do dial out, but thems the breaks.

Good luck! What is a pipe cache?(Not a joke question, I would like to know what it means)

Spartak
16-05-2004, 19:23:19
its a place for keeping pipes safe.

Scabrous Birdseed
16-05-2004, 19:30:49
It's $1 notes - they're worth so little you might as well light your pipe with them.

Darkstar
18-05-2004, 21:46:48
Back then, it was an individual external bank of super fast memory between the CPU and the main RAM. Those motherboards used to be able to function without any "pipe cache" slotted... but you got a better performance having it.

These days, it's integrated into the CPU itself. So if that's fried, the CPU is fried and he'll be replacing at least that, if not the whole Motherboard.

No longer Trippin
19-05-2004, 08:59:02
Without the pipe cache DS couldn't run pong. Old comp you had there. :)

MDA
19-05-2004, 11:24:14
Originally posted by Chris
Not a joke question,

Only two joke answers until you got to the truth? You all are slipping.

Chris
19-05-2004, 17:30:24
They fear my stupidity.

Darkstar
19-05-2004, 19:45:43
Nayh. Just a slow posting week. ;)