PDA

View Full Version : What games I've played/tried lately...

Darkstar
06-03-2002, 09:13:26
Angband... great fun. A nice little dungeon crawl. And free. (Thanks gang for turning me onto it!)

ZAngband... an Angband variant. More in it then Angband. Fun and free. (Thanks again!)

Empire Earth... finally put it on my system. Tried it a few times. Seems like it should be well loved by those that like these games. An AoE/AoK through all the ages. 18 years ago, I'd be singing it's praises high and low. But with the added years and lack of interest... I'm not horrid at these things. I just get bored, and start messing about with something in particular, or just enjoy watching the various animations. And as soon as you do that in these games, you lose. Oh well.

Star Wars: Galactic Battleground... this is just AoE/AoK with Star Wars graphics. Seriously. But I would definately recommend this game for these two reasons: 1) You can kill Jar Jar Blinks, and 2) Lucas Arts made this game for a broad audience. This means, if I get distracted or go off and experiment with something, the game doesn't instantly spring ahead of me. Well, not on certain settings. They built it so in Human versus Computer set up... by design, the Human will win. They remembered that people play games to have fun... not to constantly click like mad, and watch only the final, crushing blow to their enemy. They get a Darkstar Shining Star of Approval for that. The die hard RTS fans will, of course, probably find this game lacking. I haven't cranked up the difficulty to the top level to see how well it plays there... Big Minus on this game? 3 of them, really. 1) It includes those Force cursed Gunguns with their horrid jargon. 2) It lacks the common ability to assign a move and face a seperate direction ability. 3) Hot Keys functionality behind the times/limited... a unit can only be in one Hot Key group AND there is a preset limit to the number of units in a Hot Key group (and this CHANGES, based on resources required/Tech Level, and Unit Type). So, for instance, you can put 20 Tie Fighters and 20 Tie Bombers in a HK, or 46 troopers, or 16 Walkers... oh well.

FunkyFingers
06-03-2002, 10:00:48
Games currently I'm playing:

Serious Sam - got about 75% through the single player mission now. Superb game for a 1/2 hour monster shooting fest. Graphics are marvellous and the action is adrenalin inducingly frantic.
Damn lava golems though, ack!

Frontier First Encounters - downloaded this 2 weeks ago and I'm totally hooked. If they do a new version of this I'm going straight out and buying it.

Black and White - I know, yes, I know, but I like it! I keep coming back to this game after putting it down periodically. Am about to dive in to world 5, apparently the final world. I know there's so much I haven't done in teh game and that my gorilla is woefully under talented with spells and fighting, but he's funny. Plus it looks absoloutely beautiful, I reckon this is the most organic looking game there has been.

System Shock 2 - still trying to finish this game...

There, as you can tell, my games are slightly old fashioned, but then I have a 3 1/2 year old pc!

Funkodrom
06-03-2002, 10:55:08
LaserSquad Nemesis: Cheap and fun, something you can do whilst surfing and doing other things. Certainly worth a look if you can persuade one of the other subscribers to play you for free to try it out. :) I might sign up for the service sometime soon. I'm keeping an eye on how things develop. Some issues with the client and some annoyances but once you get the hang of all the orders etc it's pretty quick to work with. They could do with more documentation though!

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: had a quick blast at this SP at the weekend. Great game. It makes me tense very quickly... my last save was from 1st December. :o Think I might finish it sometime next year.

Baldurs Gate II: Great story, very atmospheric and involving if very time consuming game. I need to steal Shakey's disks again so I can continue.

Nav
06-03-2002, 12:00:48
Serious Sam THe First Encounter.... AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgh

Now I've got ADSL I'm gonna have another bash at Tribes 2.

Beta1
06-03-2002, 12:21:28
currently playing Independance War 2, nothing to do with will smith but one of the best space flight/combat/elite style games around, certainly one of the most beautiful. As long as you like being a pirate. On release the missions were as buggy as hell, my favourute being that you had to ram the guy your delivering stuff to becuase the trigger to get him to wake up was far too small. Now patched it runs beautifully, have yet to find a problem (excpet they made rapid fire PBCs less effective, grumble, grumble). Graphics are out of this world, when you fly out of the starting system at the end of act one where the backgrounds are all rather rather samey and see the nebulas and dustcluds in kompura or the triple star system of firefrost, or watch a megafreighter dropping out of capsule space as several miles of it crasl through the jump point. Just stunning.Nearly finished the story line at last, hopefully will finish it tonight, you might even get a review if your really lucky.

Next on the play list X-gold. Got into this a few months back but then something else came along and I forgot it. Going to get some serious play in hopefully before jedi-knight 2 turns up.

Not going near the elite2 download as I may never leave my PC again if I do!

Nav
06-03-2002, 17:03:51
read your first sentence as
..certainly one of the most buggy:D

Venom
06-03-2002, 18:49:34
Medal of Honor
NHL 2002
Championship Manager
Ghost Recon

MDA
06-03-2002, 21:06:13
Zangband/Angband - an excellent waste of time, two thumbs up!

Mechwarrior 4 Black Knight Expansion - sometimes you just need a mindless game that lets you blow things up.:shoot:

Pool of Radiance 2 -if they'd fix the damned sound bug/freeze frame and let you choose your own FEATS!! :bash: it still wouldn't be that great, but I'll finish it, so its not all that bad - The third edition rules baffle me - I can't seem to get the old ruleset out of my head, so I make stupid decisions. Just doesn't hold up to the Gold Box standard, but that's asking a lot from today's gaming industry.

Icewind Dale - installed, but not started. May get bumped ahead of POS2 in play time if I continue to be frustrated.

Tropico: Paradise Island - really, really fun, but I posted my rant elsewhere.:love:

Sirius Black
06-03-2002, 22:39:35
Sid Meier's Sim Golf - excellent game.

Out of the Park Baseball 4 - Kinda like a Championship Manager for Baseball... great stuff.

Sean
06-03-2002, 22:48:19
Empire Earth I noodled around with, and crushed someone in multi-player. This someone was—I kid you not—fumbling around in the Rennaisance while I was building robots, so no great fun there. Single player, like DS, I got distracted and bored.

Championship Manager 01/02 is still fun.

SimGolf Demo was pretty good, although I found it highly dependent on what your original plot of land was like. A game to spend an afternoon with, nothing more.

MattHiggs
07-03-2002, 00:46:50
Tribes 2 - Best FPS Multiplayer game by far.

Quake 3 Arena - Excellent net code, superb fast paced mindless fun.

Medal of Honour - So far so good, no where near as good as RtCW was though.

Throne of Bhaal - Mediocre compared to Baldurs Gate 2, new dungeon is dull.

Jedi Knight - Getting in the mood before I buy Jedi Knight II

Shining1
07-03-2002, 01:17:54
Laser Squad Nemesis - review up when I find a few more screenshots

Baldur's Gate 2 - Level 10 Berserker in Trademeet. Just spent a LOT of money. Thanks dear:).

Warcraft2 - Orc campaigns. For old times sake, plus I never quite finished the Orc expansion campaigns.

Beta1
07-03-2002, 11:16:35
Bloody hell got to what I thought was the end of IDW2 and found theres another act to go.

Christ this games HUGE. that makes >40 main mission + the open ended piracy aspect + its moddable so theres loads of very neat addons to the game (new ships, tweaked weapons, extra missions etc)

Nav
07-03-2002, 11:36:57
Originally posted by MattHiggs
no where near as good as RtCW was though.One game I forgot about! Have to try that with my new super-duper broadband! (it was shite on 56k)

Snapcase
07-03-2002, 19:21:08
Zelda: Ocarina of Time on an emulator. Fun!

Sean
07-03-2002, 19:36:16
Ride that Epona!

Snapcase
07-03-2002, 19:40:18
Gawd, that's exactly where I'm stuck now. I go to the farm, I pay "Ingo" a tenner, play Epona's song and ride her, I jump over both fences and challenge him to a race, I win the first race... and I continually lose the second one. Bugger Bugger Bugger.

DaShi
08-03-2002, 02:27:54
I hope that Epona is a horse. :eek:

MDA
08-03-2002, 18:08:01
She's a stripper.

Venom
08-03-2002, 19:22:32
Mmmmmm stripper.

King_Ghidra
11-03-2002, 09:49:50
Champ manager 01-02 - in my fourth season with fiorentina, now looking to challenge for the title after hauling them out of financial debt. sweet!

errr...that's it. i'm addicted!

actiually i hear phantasy star online ver 2 is coming out UK after all so i will be addicted to that next

and probably MGS2 for ps2 as well...

Beta1
11-03-2002, 10:05:41
Oh yeah I forgot to add

Combat Mission beyond Overlord Pbem against RC

RC just lost his first sherman, hes going to lose another one shortly. I was going to post a screen shot but it as the tank didnt catch fire it isnt much to look at - Maybe when the next one buys it.

Funkodrom
11-03-2002, 12:01:01
WipeOut Fusion.

ZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!

Resource Consumer
11-03-2002, 12:04:01
Originally posted by Beta1
Oh yeah I forgot to add

Combat Mission beyond Overlord Pbem against RC

RC just lost his first sherman, hes going to lose another one shortly. I was going to post a screen shot but it as the tank didnt catch fire it isnt much to look at - Maybe when the next one buys it.

There is some entertainment in watching this naive optimism...

Vincent Fandango
11-03-2002, 12:46:52
I played the SimGolf demo

MattHiggs
11-03-2002, 12:58:59
Oh, I forgot to add, Anarchy Online.

Great game now all the bugs have been ironed out!

Venom
11-03-2002, 13:55:33
I played CM last night to an insane hour. Which means I'm very tired. But is also means that I almost got up and didn't go to work so I could play more. I sensing the beginnings of another addiction.

Funkodrom
11-03-2002, 13:57:44
Cool. What team?

OldWarrior_42
11-03-2002, 14:23:40
Planescape: Torment and Soulbringer. Picked up a double pack with these 2 games in it for only 9 bucks. :D

Some Empire Earth... but I suck. And the usual amount of demos I check out each month off the discs that come with my Games Magazines subscriptions. Can't think of all the ones I have tried.

Venom
11-03-2002, 14:24:02
Just continuing on with my season. I had stopped playing for the last couple of months so I got back into it while I was watching the US play Ecuador yesterday. I'm in my second year with ManU. Got some good summer signings and I'm looking to challenge in Europe this year. Won the Premiership, and the FA last year but got trounced in Europe.

Got a great season going so far. Not even Christmas yet, and I'm already 8 points clear. Though I just lost to Everton last night 3-2. I was missing several first teamers. Even dipped into the reserves for a central defended....hmmm maybe that's why I gave up 3 goals? No biggie, I'm in good enough shape now, so I can try and give some time to my younger players.

OldWarrior_42
11-03-2002, 14:25:04
Oh yeah... I forgot about Marbles, Slingo and Pretty Good Solitaire. :lol:

Venom
11-03-2002, 15:12:11
Way to spam OW!

Venom
14-03-2002, 13:19:37
1-0 QF Leg 1 victory over Deportivo at Deportivo! I'm damned near gauranteed a Semi-Final spot now! YES!!!!!

Darkstar
15-03-2002, 07:06:22
Tried out:

Mall Tycoon - Nice little game, but gets boring very fast. Reason... it's like SimCity, only there is never anything to upset you.

You just throw in enough stores to more then cover your bills, and make money. That continues. As time passes, you can eventually get new stuff to sell (by researching, imagine that). Fun for a non-violet, non-surprising while.

Ski Resort Tycoon - Another nice little game, but after a bit... you are looking to find something more stimulating. Very easy to just rack up money. It doesn't use research... it use's the old MoM required buildings already exist to get the next thing up.

Yeah, I know, no surprises anywhere. They are nice for that 'I'm in a sim citish mood' though. Don't compare to the pure fun of Startopia though. ;)

OldWarrior_42
15-03-2002, 13:06:20
Been trying Speed Marbles and Express Slingo. Takes these games to new all time highs.

:lol:
:-P~~