PDA

View Full Version : CryptGetDefaultProviderW

Gary
28-04-2004, 20:26:49
Mmmm ... useful suggestions welcomed.

A work collegue suggested to us all that we install this app which was going to be very useful with the new stuff we had to learn. What he didn't say was that it was only tested against XP and not NT.

I have no local admin rights on my XP PC, only the NT one.

I now have an NT system that's none too well. The IS dept isn't prepared to work on the fault properly. If it isn't simple and fixable in a few minutes, then the solution is to reformat the hard disk. Well that'll solve everything :rolleyes:

The often occurring error phrase is "The procedure entry point CryptGetDefaultProviderW could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll" and occurs when I try any of a number of activities. Sometimes it prevents me doing something, and iother times it seems to have had no effect.

I did wonder if I could replace the referred to file, but when I searched for and downloaded one from the Net, it wasn't the same size as any of the same name I found on the C: drive !

Advapi32.dll from Net _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 18k (v. 4.71.0118.0)
Advapi32.dll in C:\msmail ?!?!? _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 178k 19/9/96
Advapi32.dll in C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$ _ 241k 1/5/97
Advapi32.dll in C:\WINNT\system32 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 242k 18/11/99

And although I have admin rights on the NT machine, it's not full control as any look over the greyed out Internet settings will confirm. Any ideas ? It's a pain at the moment.

PS it also fails to connect to the Net on that machine now, making downloads a bit difficult.

Darkstar
28-04-2004, 20:39:53
Rebuild.

Yank off all your good data, and rebuild the system.

Never use a good machine to test out Crypto. Good Crypto messes with stuff. Bad crypto fries out the box. Doesn't matter if it's Windoze, Unuts, Appits, or Linbutts.

Gary
28-04-2004, 21:11:49
If I or anyone I knew had NT disks that might be an option but ...

The thing is that I have no confidence in destroying what's there. Bound to lose something.

Crypto ? Not sure of the definition, but this was supposed to be good stuff he'd tried out anyway, just not on an NT PC :(