PDA

View Full Version : GNOME 2.6

Deacon
17-04-2004, 08:18:29
The new GTK file selector is much better. Nautilus is giving me big trouble with the audio view. XScreensaver has a bunch of cool OpenGL screensavers. They also work under KDE if GNOME and XScreensaver are installed first. I haven't tried the Nautilus CD burner yet. Gpdf is a decent PDF viewer. Everything else is pretty much the same as it was with GNOME 2.4.

The CVS BLFS book and the GNOME release notes were a big help. I could have checked the GARNOME script to see which versions of everything to download, but I decided to be as bleeding-edge as possible. So not everything is stable.

Overall, I think it's okay, but I'm going to stick with KDE and keep GNOME around so I can build GNOME apps.

Asher
17-04-2004, 08:35:54
Gnome and KDE both lock up my system.

Sir Penguin
17-04-2004, 19:53:20
Deacon, do you know why LFS 5.1 is two months overdue?

SP

Deacon
17-04-2004, 20:46:05
It could be a graphics issue. ATI's drivers seem to have problems when I turn on opacity for moving windows. Noatun skins also freeze up my machine. Other than that, I do fine with ATI. No freezing. With my previous mix of hardware, everything was fine under Windows, but the Nvidia Linux drivers caused frequent freezes.

Deacon
17-04-2004, 20:53:52
I dunno. I haven't been to the LFS site since February. I'll probably wait a little while before upgrading because every time I do, it means I'll also want to recompile my BLFS stuff. Even though I've written scripts to speed everything up, LFS still takes 3 hours. BLFS takes roughly 12 hours.