PDA

View Full Version : What's it mean ....

Gary
09-04-2004, 13:59:36
... when a virus checker says it can't delete the file, but does allow you to quarantine it ? It claims it's still in the same position it was prior to quarantine. ?!?

Lurker
10-04-2004, 13:05:28
I'm tempted to run that post in wacky german babelfish.

Sir Penguin
10-04-2004, 23:09:48
It could be that it locks the file so nothing can access it. You may be able to delete the file after a reboot or something.

SP

Gary
11-04-2004, 11:45:02
Cheers. I'd assumed it'd be moved somewhere. I'll see if it's deletable when I get back Monday night, or Tuesday evening.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
13-04-2004, 01:50:09
My guess is it's in use my the O/S or something else, but will be flagged to be made unuseable upon next reboot.

Gary
13-04-2004, 18:11:22
That's interesting. I'm doing a rescan and the status of those files is "infected" and NOT "quarantined" !

What's the blooming point ? :mad:

Gary
13-04-2004, 18:49:09
Ah, they did delete this time, however.

Deacon
13-04-2004, 23:43:19
Sometimes a running program will tell NT to put a lock on a file that the program is using. Stop the program, and the OS will usually release the lock on the file. I think Linux will allow the root user to delete anything at any time. Not that I'd like to try that.

Gary
14-04-2004, 07:25:32
Now that sounds like fun :)

Reminds me of my youth when they had a PDP11 and various similar stuff at work. Computers were a novelty at the time, and like many folk I figured the way to find things out was by playing with them and seeing what they did.

Well we had a small network of these things, everyone had admin rights. and one day I figured a good idea to find out what this particular file did would be to rename it and see what stopped working. Err bad idea...

After the rename I couldn't do anything ! I eventually tried a reboot and then found I couldn't get in ! PANIC ! Phoned a collegue on the floor above, was he still logged in ? Yes ! Could he ensure he stayed logged in and rename a file for me ? Phew !

Yes it's a grand way to learn. (I was dreading he was going to say, "Yes, but I'll get off if you like, there, done". :)

Sir Penguin
14-04-2004, 18:37:12
The first time I used Linux was in a high school InfoTech class. We were learning about file permissions. I wiped all permissions from my home directory, and had no idea how to restore them. I sat there for two classes before I was told that you can add permissions as well as remove them. :lol: My teacher gave me bonus marks for fooling around.

SP