PDA

View Full Version : Everquest and FFXI beat all to hell.

HelloKitty
01-04-2004, 11:31:33
Well, for 5 years EQ has been top dog in english playable MMORPGs with FFXI being number 2 since release with about 80% of EQ's player base with the next closest rivals holding about 30% of their numbers.

Thats all over now that Lineage 2 has opened its doors in the US and soon euprope.

http://www.plaync.com/games/lineage2.html

ALready online in SE asia and in free open beta in the US (yep go try it for free) Lineage already has 10 times the paying players EQ has (yes somewhere nearing 5 MILLION players).

If it weren't for the fact that I was downloading CoH beta I would try it out.

Shining1
01-04-2004, 12:06:23
Any hope for World of Warcraft?

King_Ghidra
01-04-2004, 12:11:41
i think ragnarok online has claimed a similar number of players in the se asian market, the figures are all very vague

lineage 2 has prety sexy looking graphics, but it suffers from giant breast syndrome and everyone basically seems to look the same

i haven't heard such great feedback about it's playability, but i can't comment myself

King_Ghidra
01-04-2004, 12:15:46
shining i expect WoW will have a huge take up

i also expect it will attract the absolute worst imbeciles in the world - the WoW message boards are truly terrifying

the only nice thing is that it will probably get rid of some of the spuds from FFXI

HelloKitty
01-04-2004, 17:18:51
WoW is in beta and will be for at least 5 more months according to their main website. It will more than likely take the top 4 slots it it likes up to its hype at all but it has no chance at all against teh asian games. EQ has barely penetrated the asian market at all, and in terms of MMORPGS in Japan FFXI with between 4-500k players worldwide is a massive failure. There are a half dozen TW, Korean, and japanese only games that have 2+ million subscribers. Ragnorok online is giant as well.

Wow will pull alot of teh "spuds" from FFXI, blizzard has a large fan base and a huge fan base or "d00dz" many of who left EQ for FFXI, and are now moving to Lineage.

Shining1
02-04-2004, 09:37:20
KG: Don't let the messageboards worry you too much. Most of the good people who play Blizzard games tend to play the games instead of talking about them. That's my experience at least.

King_Ghidra
02-04-2004, 12:17:06
yeah you're probably quite right, but i think new games always attract the worst types - UO had very few in my experience whereas FFXI certainly has a lot.

HelloKitty
02-04-2004, 16:40:55
Blizzard has no NDA on WoW and the reason they gave was because of certain types of people who play their games. They know here is NO WAY they can prevent the tards from violating the NDA.

I expect most games to lose a good number of peopel to WoW, but depending on the culture of the game, because of these assholes, WoW will suffer in the long run.

If WoW added PvP they wouldn't be able to keep any members.

One nice thing in EQ is that FFXI, AO, and Lineage have taken away many of the assholes. they are still there, but there are fewer.

Shining1
02-04-2004, 22:27:09
KG: No way in hell am I arguing that there won't be smacktards in WoW. I'm sure that whatever equivilent of camping the plane respawn there is in the game will be abused.

BLizzard does have the advantage that they can design the game to accomodate the ground broken by EQ and the like. Using 'instancing' to give different parties different copies of the same dungeon so you don't have to spawn camp the demon king, etc. So at least there will be a whole new bunch of noob issues to deal with;).

Kitty: Er, they patched them out, or something?:cute:

[Evil Fanboy]And Blizzard games aren't exactly hated or anything in Korea. Hell, if it was World of Starcraft, I think it could kill Lineage flat out:D[/Evil Fanboy]