PDA

View Full Version : Knights of the Old Republic

Herman
02-03-2002, 05:57:17
Venom: Gamespot news again. Apparently Knights of the Old Republic, that Star Wars RPG from Bioware is set to come out this fall for the X-Box. The PC version is said to follow sometime next year. Hmmm, the PC version slips, but the X-Box version doesn't? Why is that? Why must they make me angry?

Probably has to do with having little to no support problems with the Xbox. They only need to write 1 set of display code for the XGPU, don't need to worry about Radeons, GeForces, Voodoos, etc. that the PC version has to deal with.

Can't wait for it though.

Sean
02-03-2002, 11:32:19
But they both use DirectX, fool. That is to wrap the graphics code.

Venom
02-03-2002, 15:44:41
I read the article in more detail and they claim it's because they don't want to compete with Star Wars: Galaxies.

Herman
02-03-2002, 17:45:01
Originally posted by Sean
But they both use DirectX, fool. That is to wrap the graphics code.
No, DirectX does not wrap graphics code.

You also don't seem to understand how the new vertex and pixel shaders work: Both NVidia and ATi have different implementations for it. You also need to write different types of rendering for each card (if you're a good developer, anyway). Like Radeons can do 3 textures per pass per pipeline, while GeForces do 2, which means in your ATi path you can include more textures on objects.

You could write DirectX code to run on all of them, but it'd run like crap on a bunch of cards.

The big part is testing it on all the systems too.

Sean
02-03-2002, 19:21:11
Yes, yes, I know. But had I said that developers have to write for many architectures you would have mentioned DirectX. I just wanted to get in early.

Darkstar
05-03-2002, 08:27:26
The other aspect is, Microsoft is still bending over backwards to help ANY shop develop a game on their XBox. Rather then their normal level of support available... makes a bit of a difference. And if you optioned in EARLY enough, Microsoft would seriously bankroll your development as well.

Just buzz I heard...