PDA

View Full Version : Loudest rock show

Caligastia
31-03-2004, 16:32:04
I've been to a few loud ones, but the loudest was years ago when I went to this nightclub in Auckland to see "Push Push". The band wasn't even that good, but the volume was incredible. The smallness of the venue probably contributed to the wall of noise. When the singer broke into a scream I felt like someone had grabbed my eardrums and was shaking my head. I could actually hear the music better when I blocked my ears.

It took three days for the ringing to finally go...:clueless:

Vincent
31-03-2004, 17:14:13
The LOUDEST sound I ever heard was the Toten Hosen in 1984 in a very small club in Nordhorn (IIRC). For 3 days I was almost deaf and had 2000 teakettles whistling in my ears

Scabrous Birdseed
31-03-2004, 17:32:50
Rock these days is too quiet. I was at a concert last week and the drums sounded overmixed because the actual physical sound of the dude beating the skins was louder than the stuff coming out of the speakers. At a metal concert! And yet people around me were wearing ear plugs! Pussies.

Eklektikos
31-03-2004, 17:44:46
Fugazi & Shellac at the Stratford Rex in '99. Couldn't hear a thing when we left, to the extent that my friend almost got run down by a car simply because he couldn't hear it, or hear me shouting at him (from a foot away at most) to watch out.

zmama
31-03-2004, 17:46:45
The Who...pick any show

Chris
31-03-2004, 17:52:50
The loudest I ever heard was AC/DC.

BigGameHunter
31-03-2004, 19:33:07
Judas Priest by a long shot.

protein
01-04-2004, 00:00:29
Disaster Area, before they crashed their spaceship into the sun.

Here's a picture of the lead singer Hot Black Dessiatu

http://www.sadgeezer.com/hhg/b32.jpg

Gramercy Riffs
01-04-2004, 09:15:11
Looks like Bernard Manning on Stars In Their Eyes.

"Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be...Gary Glitter"

Gramercy Riffs
01-04-2004, 09:15:48
Matthew Kelly...Gary Glitter.....theres a link there somewhere.

protein
01-04-2004, 09:51:43
:lol:

Caligastia
01-04-2004, 15:48:52
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Rock these days is too quiet. I was at a concert last week and the drums sounded overmixed because the actual physical sound of the dude beating the skins was louder than the stuff coming out of the speakers. At a metal concert! And yet people around me were wearing ear plugs! Pussies.

I don't mind volume, but if it's so loud that I can't hear individual instruments any more then that just sucks. :bash:

The best sounding concert I ever went to was Tool at Madison Square Garden. It was reasonably loud, but crystal clear.

protein
02-04-2004, 02:00:32
That's bizarre. The worst sounding concert I ever went to was Tool. This was about ten years ago and they were supporting The Cure. They sounded dreadful and all you could hear was a horrific honking sub bass and it gave me an unforgettable migraine. Worst headache I've ever had. The drums were flat as a pancake and the guitar was just boring metal noise and the vocals I can't even remember. The bass though. I can still feel the pain throbbing in my temples. Urgh.

Having surviced that ordeal, what I've heard of recent Tool stuff I think they are great.

Eklektikos
02-04-2004, 09:36:50
Funnily enough I like the music Tool were making about 10 years ago, but think that their last album was, for the most part, boring, soulless wank.

Caligastia
02-04-2004, 16:08:26
Originally posted by protein
That's bizarre. The worst sounding concert I ever went to was Tool. This was about ten years ago and they were supporting The Cure. They sounded dreadful and all you could hear was a horrific honking sub bass and it gave me an unforgettable migraine. Worst headache I've ever had. The drums were flat as a pancake and the guitar was just boring metal noise and the vocals I can't even remember. The bass though. I can still feel the pain throbbing in my temples. Urgh.

Having surviced that ordeal, what I've heard of recent Tool stuff I think they are great.

It was probably the venue that made the difference. Madison Square Garden is world class.:beer:

Caligastia
02-04-2004, 16:14:54
Originally posted by Eklektikos
Funnily enough I like the music Tool were making about 10 years ago, but think that their last album was, for the most part, boring, soulless wank.

Really?! I thought it was one of their best. It's not the kind of thing that grabs you right away though. I had to listen to it at least 10 times before I started getting into it.

Vincent
04-04-2004, 18:49:22
Maybe you like boring soulless wank?

Chris
04-04-2004, 21:07:36
Originally posted by Caligastia
It was probably the venue that made the difference. Madison Square Garden is world class.:beer: Nassau collseum is good also.

But I did hear a really loud VH concert in the garden back in 84, right before Diamond Dave was kicked out of the band.

Caligastia
05-04-2004, 16:35:18
Originally posted by Chris
Nassau collseum is good also.

But I did hear a really loud VH concert in the garden back in 84, right before Diamond Dave was kicked out of the band.

I've also been to the Jones Beach Ampitheater to see a Megadeth/Motley Crue concert. The sound there was great also.

Foetus
14-04-2004, 18:01:20
Godflesh, Wheatsheaf, Stoke.

But that could have had something to do with my head being right next to a speaker stack.

Noisy
16-04-2004, 16:11:19
Blue Oyster Cult back in 1983. Somewhere in New Jersey. We were on the very last row in the auditorium, and my ears still rang for days afterwards.

RedFred
17-04-2004, 18:56:17
I think it was 1980 that I saw Blue Oyster Cult. It was pretty loud but it was an open air sports auditorium so it wasn't as bad. The venue can make a big difference. I saw the Clash a couple years later in the Kinsmen Fieldhouse, a totally enclosed, cement, low ceiling venue. The noise just kept bouncing around and it was really hard on the ears. I wore earplugs. :o