PDA

View Full Version : Total noob question about using an old PC for memory/processing!

BigGameHunter
30-03-2004, 00:42:25
My folks upgraded to the super titanium "I'll never in a million years use all this power" PC recently and now their average (probable a Pentium II or something) tower is sitting in their garage. I have a fairly pathetic PIII 566mhz pc and I'm wondering if there is a simple/easy way to somehow use their PC to boost mine?
Memory, performance, some kind of piggybacking, etc?

Any suggestions/links to suggestions?

Thanks!

zmama
30-03-2004, 00:48:33
Maybe...
Yeah, I know that doesn't help much :D

You need to go find out exactly what is in their computer...maybe the memory is compatible...maybe you can use their old hard drive. Dunno until you have the specifics.

Sir Penguin
30-03-2004, 02:07:35
If you're up for it, you can use their old machine as a firewall/fileserver.

SP

Deacon
30-03-2004, 08:32:27
Device Manager is a useful way to get some basic info such as company names and model numbers. Most items in Device Manager are of interest except the nitty-gritty stuff under System Devices and Ports. If a company you're looking for is defunct or the trail has gone cold, maybe Google can help. WCPUID is a good tool to painlessly get names and numbers for the CPU and motherboard chipset.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
31-03-2004, 03:47:34
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
If you're up for it, you can use their old machine as a firewall/fileserver.

SP

Was gonna suggest that, since I plan on doing that to the kids' old PII when I upgrade this here box. Sometime. *sigh*

BigGameHunter
31-03-2004, 06:55:49
So I need to post specs of both machines?
Hmmm...they discombobulated it...I guess I'll need to get the tower over here and get it hooked up to my monitor.

zmama
31-03-2004, 13:40:59
When you get it hooked up an easy way of finding out what is on your systems is

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

It's not always 100% accurate but it should give a good enough idea of what you are dealing with