PDA

View Full Version : I may re-ignite the Total War (Medeival) debate.

BigGameHunter
26-03-2004, 18:52:39
I just got around to getting this game and have so far gotten through the battle and campaign tutorials.
I have mixed feelings...I expected the combat to be a bit more...oh...what's the word..."detailed"? I don't know if just throwing big blobs of one unit at big blobs of another is going to hold my interest for long. Plus, twice I've about been beaten and just decided to regroup and rush the enemy and he runs away...is this a bug?
Haven't gotten into the actual management portion of the game, but if it ends up being too micro and this is the whole enchilada on the combat portion, I may not end up too impressed.

JM^3
29-03-2004, 03:01:24
what my freinds say is that the management part is fun, the combat portion is uninteresting

JOj Miller

King_Ghidra
29-03-2004, 12:37:37
i don't agree, i love the combat bit

although the AI can be a bit strange at times, but that's computers for you

maroule
29-03-2004, 12:55:58
I enjoyed both parts, and when you play in experts, (even though the AI doesn't get better on the battlefield), it's enough of a challenge at the strategic level to keep you entertained for a very long time

I just checked last WE the Viking Invasion add-on, and it's pretty good too (the vikings really are a pain in the butt)

Nav
29-03-2004, 13:24:28
Rome: Total War is looking really good.

My copy of PCZONE arrived this morning with a detailed preview and lots of screenshots.

here's a quick excerpt:

Probably the campaign map's most radical overhaul involves regional troop movement. Unlike in Medieval, you can now move armies within each province, placing them on hills or hiding them in forests to set up ambushes ... . This troop positioning will also determine both your starting deployment and the layout of the battlefield when the game switches to RTS mode. All of the campaign map's geography will also be present on the actual battlefield. © PC Zone 2004!

also armies don't tend to bunch up now (as that was apparantly a problem before).

Funkodrom
29-03-2004, 13:53:10
Bigger sleevies.

King_Ghidra
29-03-2004, 13:58:33
get back to counterpoint you little punner

Chris
29-03-2004, 17:00:08
Maybe this stuff will help:
http://totalwar.strategyinformer.com/

Qweeg
29-03-2004, 17:23:48
They've been showcasing Rome Total War on that nerd program, on BBC2, (the one where the contestants always become totally obsessed about Holding The Hill! The Hill!!).

I mentioned and seriously enthused about Rome: Total War so long ago I can't reignite an interest now, it's like Tiberian Sun all over again.

BigGameHunter
29-03-2004, 19:10:29
Well...I don't know. I played it a good bit over the weekend on the "easy" setting. It reminds me of Civilization Lite from a city management standpoint (and I just put it all on auto anyway) and the combat is fun (but only because I have played as England and totally destroyed the French faction) if not a little incomprehensible at first. Had the AI a little more brains there are several incidences where my ass would have been kicked. Gotta love the longbowman!!!

Question: say a 'squad' of Royal Knights gets depleted down to the last unit...how do I replenish that unit? Is there a "merge" or "add to" function?

Venom
29-03-2004, 20:38:03
Sort of. Stack the units into an army and then select it. You'll then see all the units in the bottom bar. Drag the one unit onto an group that is EXACTLY the same, down to the experiece number and improved armaments.

BigGameHunter
29-03-2004, 20:51:31
Yeah...I'll try that. It seems stupid to have Prince Fancypants not enter the battle because all his guys are dead...hmmm...Royal Guard isn't really an option as far as I know on building right now...I may have to take his brother's units and park one of the Princes' in a remote castle or something????

Venom
29-03-2004, 20:57:22
Something like that. Or just keep a real close eye on him in battle.

BigGameHunter
29-03-2004, 21:03:18
Seems like that is the type of troop that the game should replenish with a penalty or something? It's not like the royals are going to stroll around without an intact group of guards. Oh well...I'm rolling now...need to keep an eye on the Germans..they look pretty bad ass.

Venom
29-03-2004, 21:04:59
Hey don't ask me, I think the game sucks.

BigGameHunter
29-03-2004, 21:33:50
Well, I don't think it totally sucks, but until something better than Combat Mission comes along, they all pretty much suck IMO.

Beta1
30-03-2004, 08:51:51
you cant merge 2 character type units (ie princes/kings etc.) You can merge 1 character unit and one normal unit. If you try it with 2 character units you end up with all the knights going to one of them and leaving the other character without any knights at all.

What you need to do is build the facilities to build normal units of knights. Although if I were you I wouldnt bother. As the english its easy enough to win against the AI just building vast numbers of longbows and the best spear men you have + a few men at arms type units.

Just stick the longbow men close up behind the spears and kill anything that comes close.

Try playing as the spanish or one of the eastern nations. It becomes a hell of a lot harder when the entire mongal hordes appear out of the east...

BigGameHunter
30-03-2004, 16:17:44
Screw that, I want to win easy!