PDA

View Full Version : So how much trouble is it to migrate from ASP to ASP.Net?

Darkstar
25-03-2004, 20:39:17
Just curious if we have any people that have done this in a real evironment.

Sir Penguin
25-03-2004, 23:37:32
Aren't they almost completely different?

SP

Darkstar
26-03-2004, 19:47:41
I'm just seeing if we have anyone here that have gone ASP to .Net to see what snags and how much trouble they had. I don't put much trust in MS documentation and PR on this issue.

No longer Trippin
26-03-2004, 19:52:55
You don't put trust in the almighty Microsoft! Heathen! Oh wait, that is Asher's line :)

Nav
27-03-2004, 14:00:27
ASP.net is compiled right? I haven't really looked into it.

Sir Penguin
27-03-2004, 21:12:04
It can be written in any .NET language, like C++, C#, J#, VB.NET, and so on. I don't know if it's backwards compatible with vanilla JScript and VBScript, or if the .NET versions of those are different. In any case, it would be compiled into .NET code.

SP

Darkstar
28-03-2004, 05:32:19
Actually, there isn't any such thing as ASP.Net. That's a marketting trick. ASP no longer "exists". That's because VBScript (in the web sense) no longer "exists". You can still load up the old ASP, but you aren't supposed to be doing new stuff in it.

.Net is like VB... it's compiled at run time. That's why you need the .Net engine. That's your dlls and runtime.

So, I'm still looking for people with real "Web" .Net experience then?

Sir Penguin
28-03-2004, 08:02:46
It would be compiled into native code at runtime; it would be compiled into .NET code when it was accessed the first time after a source change.

I have real experience with ASP.NET. I found out that it's hard to get set up using Cassini and Visual Studio, and the Web Matrix utility is hard to use. I also found out that you actually have to know something like C# to do anything useful.

I made my browser display a calendar, though!

SP