PDA

View Full Version : VCRs

Gary
24-03-2004, 17:50:16
Sometimes I think that the Internet is too small...well either that or all the unwanted stuff gets to the top of the search engine lists.

OK, does anyone have any recommendations for a video player / recorder for someone who tried to use his for the first time in about 2 years yesterday, to find it wasn't behaving too well. (Seemed to like going into standby, initially didn't seem to want to play a tape in one slot if there wasn't one in the other (it's a dual slot one), and then found it difficult to hold frame and play without white lines and occasional "snow").

And all these nice baffling terms. Is it better to consider S-Video, or SVHS since they rarely seem to come together ? (Whatever they are.) And what's SVHS-ET ? Is 6 heads really better than 4 ? And why would they need as many as 4 anyway ? What's digital tracking ? And does any of it matter anyway if you are likely to feed the output into a PC video card ?

:D (And I thought I was just buying a few VCDs to reminisce about.)

Gary
24-03-2004, 17:58:03
Actually, looking at the WinTV-PVR-350 spec, S-Video seems a good idea since it's mentioned, and SVHS is not.

zmama
24-03-2004, 18:03:48
I wouldn't waste any energy or much money on one. The format is on its way out. Just buy one from a reputable company...JVC, Panasonic, Sony, etc and don't spend a lot on bells and whistles.

Gary
24-03-2004, 18:11:06
I know exactly where you're coming from... but if one has tapes one wants to save for prosterity, or more probably because one hates to chuck out the old to make way for the new :) there's a reason to want to get as good as one can afford, or miss the chance of a decent copy.

zmama
24-03-2004, 18:19:06
Yeah, but a good high quality basic machine is still the best way to go, if what you are doing is making copies.

The other avenue is to take that old machine in for a good cleaning. That can often be all that is wrong with them

Deacon
24-03-2004, 22:06:40
A cheap VCR with the right plugs. RCA and coaxial. Two channel audio. It doesn't matter what you feed into the capture card as long as the card is compatible with the TV. PAL, NTSC, SECAM, etc.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
26-03-2004, 05:01:35
I once bought a US$500 VCR. A tad expensive, but man, it was good quality. Played PAL and NTSC, had multiple speeds, it was great. Never had any trouble with it, either.

My mum's using it now since I couldn't take it with me :(

My current one is worth US$40. It records, it plays, it has a remote, and it's also given me no trouble in just over three years. I highly recommend cheap crap :)

If you really want to get technical (and this is a tech forum after all) buy a US$80 gadget that takes VCR input and converts it to DVD. Eventually your tapes are gonna degrade anyway, or some time down the track your VCR will break (again) and you won't be able to replace it. Multiple media formats will help keep your precious memories available to future generations.