PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield Vietnam.

Beta1
22-03-2004, 09:40:41
Is very very cool. And will be even cooler once I stop crashing my F4 into the sea!

great music too.

Nav
22-03-2004, 12:13:12
Played it quite a bit over the weekend!

Don't go for a server over 32 players as it will just lag like crazy, but I managed to have quite a few good lag free games in the end. It probably needs a patch to improve the netcode.

Biggest suprise for me was to see a helicopter transporting a tank. Wicked stuff.

Music is great, I like the us camp radio station, would be cool to have excerpts from Good Morning Vietnam though! ;)

Beta1
22-03-2004, 13:15:51
And isnt the napalm great? Not seen it in multiplayer but had some fun with it against the bots.

didnt find it too laggy on the eauk servers, at least its a good start and should get better. Its certainly playable as is.

Love the city maps (as usual) that one with the temple in the middle is excellent. I kicked some serious butt on that one.

cant help feeling its a little unbalanced though - the ak47/other mg thingy dont compare to the m60 that pretty much everyone uses. Havnt seen much point to the basic US rifleman class though - why take the lower powered gun over the "shoot all day without reloading" m60? Equally the engineers gun sucks - otherwise I could see myself using that mortar a lot.

The claymores seem a little odd though - I though the whole point was that they fired in one direction rather than just detonating? Makes them just bog standard explosives.

The spiked logs rolling down the hill traps are good. although I have yet to see anyone get caught by one.

Vincent
22-03-2004, 17:11:01
Bought it today . Wow!
The M60 is a REAL killer

Lurker
22-03-2004, 22:16:39
I haven't been able to find it, although I confess I only looked in one place. Maybe I'll find it tonight on the way home. A lot of people seem to be complaining that the M60 leads to an imbalance.

Beta1
23-03-2004, 09:27:22
I dont know if the M60 is thte imbalance - it seems more to be the fact that every game I have played had about 60% of the players on the US side.

Scabrous Birdseed
23-03-2004, 09:34:17
Ah, the eternal desire to be the bad guys.

King_Ghidra
23-03-2004, 09:37:56
desert combat often suffers from this problem too

so for the sake of balance i've probably played twice as much on the iraqi team as the coalition team

Nav
23-03-2004, 13:18:59
same here (on bfv)

autobalance isn't too effective when the server isnt full. Everyone wants to play the US, NVA was outnumbered 2 to 1 for most of the time on a server I was playing over the weekend.

King_Ghidra
23-03-2004, 13:37:13
my cowies verdict so far 'i couldn't see the gooks, i was just getting shot from the jungle and i couldn't tell from where'

sounds like they've done a good job :D

Lurker
23-03-2004, 14:31:00
I found it and loaded it up last night. I played for maybe 25 minutes on sp, but the thing took twice as long to load as BF1942 and wasl twitchy. It looks like fun and the graphics are cool, but I didn't bother with mp given the bit of lag I had.

I did get to crash a few helis, though. It seems they are easier to fly than the DC ones, but I'm still an incompetent heli pilot.

Nav
23-03-2004, 15:59:56
thats a bit silly really, the lag your getting is because of the cpu players. play it online you fool.

Beta1
23-03-2004, 17:14:25
very true, mp performance is much better than sp on my machine if I have more than 12 bots running.

The amount of cover is quite impressive - and the city levels are excellent. Even getting the hang of the engies gun. It may be only semi auto but it seems to pack quite a punch and places the rounds with much less scatter than the M60. Its basically like the one in bf1942 but you can fire off 8-10 rounds in a second. normally enough to do the job :)

Might be on tonight although getting on the eauk servers is hard - there only seems to be about 8 of them at the moment.

Lurker
23-03-2004, 18:27:25
Does ASE show BFV servers or do you have to use the in-game browser?

Vincent
24-03-2004, 19:15:55
yes

Lurker
24-03-2004, 20:45:37
Danke.

Beta1
07-04-2004, 09:49:24
just to bring this one back up again - whos playing? What do you think about it etc?

Think the M60/LAW business is not a problem - NVA seem to win about 50% of the games I've been in and I have no problem taking out a M60 guys with a RPD ro the AK (or the engineers SMG - my personal fav) hell I can do it with the semiauto rifle in the RPG kit! Most of them cant shoot straight and can hit you beyind about 20-30m anyway.

Also dont buy the "US need better AA" arguement. Mi-16s can be taken down with M60 fire if you know what your doing. And if the US lose control of the skies with all their air assets they deserve a spanking.

Only seen the mortar used effectively a couple of times (and mostly in a city map) so not very impressed by that.

Still apart from some occasional jerkyness on some maps (mostly helo heavy ones) I think its a good game. if its like BF1942 they should sort out the glitches in the patches so I think everythings cool.

Beta1
07-04-2004, 09:49:50
Oh yes and THE BIRD IS THE WORD

Nav
07-04-2004, 16:03:50
Played it intensly over the first week. Havent played it for a couple now, though I intend to play some more at the weekend!

Lurker
07-04-2004, 16:45:05
I looked for you Friday night on ASE, Beta, but I got a late start and suspect you were done by then if you played at all. I still haven't played it multi-player.

Beta1
08-04-2004, 20:18:15
I've downloaded ASE but not installed it yet! I'm on holiday until next thursday so I'll get it sorted at some point!

Really getting the hang of the city maps now. Been getting lots of medals on the EA servers. Although this afternoon was stuck on a server with a load of smacktards who kepts stacking the teams about 2-1 US:NVA. We still beat the idiots though, one game they had one player on 30 points, 10 deaths who knew what he was doing and the rest of them failed to get into double figure points. They got the first place but we had 2-10th and won by a mile. Despite being outnumbered 2-1...

idiots.