PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Film Score

MOBIUS
19-03-2004, 00:19:53
I don't fucking care if there's already a thread about this somewhere down the pages - here's a new one!:p

Mine is 'Conquest of Paradise' by Vangelis, which was about the only good thing to come out of the movie 1492...

Debaser
19-03-2004, 00:22:18
Taxi Driver, Dirty Harry & The Warriors

King_Ghidra
19-03-2004, 09:04:10
blade runner
clockwork orange
the mission

actually, pretty much anything by ennio morricone. I think 'once upon a time in the west' is my favourite

Chris
21-03-2004, 00:43:59
Forbidden Planet.
Still creepy 50+ years later.

Star Wars.
Probaly the most memorable.

Planet of the Apes (original)
Jerry Goldsmith had a unique sound for that pic.

protein
21-03-2004, 01:14:02
and there was me thinking I'd be original and say Forbidden Planet. Damn you Chris, I'm three minutes less cool than you.

Other classics include:
The Thing - a bass guitar through a delay. Stupidly simple but devastatingly effective
Jaws - two notes, two frikkin' notes! Genius
Star Wars - in particular the Skywalker theme, the best melody ever written
Taxi Driver - damn Debaser got there first. grrrr.
Bladerunner - Grrr. Mr Ghidra
Pulp Fiction - an amazing selection of music
28 Days Later - Maybe because it's still current but I think the music made that film
Superman - the films sucked but the music was good
Rocky - ditto
The Terminator - awesome stuff
Apocolypse Now - also awesome stuff
Dancer in the Dark - Beautiful
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory - classic
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - the film just wouldn't work without the score
Drunken Master/Once Upon a Time in China/and countless other Hong Kong films - Ancient Battle/Wong Fei Hung Theme, great melody
Trainspotting - all gold

protein
21-03-2004, 01:15:04
I forgot my all time favorites

James Bond - the man with the golden gun
James Bond - live and let die

Chris
21-03-2004, 01:17:48
Those are some good ones, the Thing was very good.

Since you mentioned a Carpenter film, I'll add another, Holloween. That little theme song is one of the most recognizable.

Scabrous Birdseed
21-03-2004, 10:18:07
I'll add another vote for Dirty Harry as the best film score ever.

Scud Wallaby
21-03-2004, 18:55:50
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
blade runner
clockwork orange
the mission

actually, pretty much anything by ennio morricone. I think 'once upon a time in the west' is my favourite

Morricone is great - I love Gabriel's Oboe from The Mission (although it's impact has been lessened of late since a crappy piano version has found it's way into an advert). It's always somewhere in my all time top 5.

-Scud-

Funkodrom
22-03-2004, 10:35:53
GERMANY 4 - 4 ALLIES
Deutsche (4 - 1) Allierte
Wehrmacht Auswah
Albrech 14, 41 Brady 44
Bronte 25 Rey 52
Bauman (pen) 31 Clure 76
(Bauman missed Fernandez 88
pen 90) (Clure had goal disallowed 84)

Qweeg
25-03-2004, 18:53:35
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
blade runner
clockwork orange
the mission

You sir, are a man of notable taste and distinction. Ennio Morricone is a prolific genius.

I have many much-loved movie-scores, but The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly spring to mind right now as a definate, and Bladerunner (Vengalis?) is another top tune.

I also quite liked the Lord of the Rings sound-track that played whenever the goblins and orcs turned up. Those goblins are all business and industry, they don't fuck about, and I feel the tune reflected that. Because I feel inspired, here is a text-rendition, I call it- Wargrider:

BashBashBash Baddump! Da Da Daaaaaa Da Da Dump- BashBashBash Baddump! Da Da Daaaaaa Da Dump- BashBashBash Baddump-

you want me to stop dontcha.

Scabrous Birdseed
25-03-2004, 18:57:27
For memorable, Once Upon A Time In The West is pretty good.

RedFred
25-03-2004, 20:21:23
A Robin Williams movie called Toys was very good. The movie is basically about the stylistic clash between the art deco movement bad guys and the surrealist good guys. The soundtrack has a suitably eclectic assortment from Russian classical to Tori Amos and Thomas Dolby.

'Tout les matins de la monde' was very dark with a lot of old French cello composers recognised but worthwhile nonetheless.

The old jazz music used in Sleeper was a good counterpoint to the futuristic plot.

And I'll third or fourth A Clockwork Orange. It was my first introduction to classical synthesizer music. Most bizarre in that genre would probably be the music for Liquid Sky.

The musical has largely died out in western cinema. The idea of people suddenly bursting into song just doesn't seem very realistic anymore. Too bad. I occasionally rent Bollywood films because they still do that a lot. My favorite original score musical would probably be JC Superstar.

Darkstar
25-03-2004, 20:46:05
RedFred, I don't know why people say that...

The majority of full length cartoons are musicals in Western/Hollywood styling. I think that the mainstream Hollywood doesn't do musicals anymore for 2 main reasons:

* Musicals are now viewed as too "kiddy"
* It's difficult to find a group of Actors or Actresses that can sing well and look super star at the same time.

Most live action musicals that get made these days are just basic vehicles for pop stars to show off. Not that is a bad thing if you like the pop star, but if you don't, they just aren't a "fun" watch.

Aredhran
26-03-2004, 10:39:31
Dune
Gladiator
The Prince of Darkness (crappy 80's B-series horror flick).

Qweeg
26-03-2004, 10:44:26
Jesus! I can't believe I didn't mention the insolent noise of The Talented Mr Ripley...

maroule
26-03-2004, 12:47:44
well, Moulin Rouge was a recent success, so the genre is not yet totally dead

Funkodrom
26-03-2004, 12:50:43
And wasn't Chicago a musical?

protein
26-03-2004, 13:00:15
Not enough votes for 28 Days Later in my opinion.

Debaser
26-03-2004, 13:13:17
Wasn't Evita a musical too? And Baz Lurhman's (sp?) Romeo & Julliet was practically a musical, just without the singing.

Gramercy Riffs
26-03-2004, 18:15:14
Originally posted by Aredhran

Thats a great film!

Good John Carpenter soundtrack too.

RedFred
26-03-2004, 19:38:15
Originally posted by Funkodrom
And wasn't Chicago a musical?

Sure there is the odd one now and then. But if Richard Gere's singing is anything to go by they are about to become a whole lot less frequent.

MOBIUS
26-03-2004, 23:12:08
Wow, there's some great stuff on here...!

Interesting that many of the same composers keep coming up.

For example, Vangelis also did Blade Runner as Qweeg points out. And Terminator II. Not to mention that seminal piece of music from Chariots of Fire...

Another favourite composer of mine is Eric Serra - loved the Fifth Element soundtrack!

Also the stock guys such as Danny Elfman, John Williams and Hans Zimmer are consistently great.:)

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-03-2004, 20:41:24
It's not a film, but Eric Clapton's score for "Edge of Darkness" is tremendous. That's coming from someone who's no Clapton fan too.

Clint Mansell's scores for "Pi" and "Requiem for a dream" need mentioning- staggering to think he used to be in Pop Will Eat Itself.

shagnasty
27-04-2004, 08:03:31
Originally posted by Aredhran
Dune
Gladiator

I was wondering when someone was going to mention Gladiator. It made the film for me, but then most soundtracks/scores do I think.
Also :bounce: for LOTR and Moulin Rouge. The Narcoleptic Argies version was a cracker, as was the Smells like Teen Spirit thing. I laughed for ages just thinking about it.

King_Ghidra
27-04-2004, 11:00:47
Both as a film in it's own right and also for the score I liked Chicago more than Moulin Rouge.

jsorense
28-04-2004, 22:27:23
Ah-hem, how about "The Magnificant Seven"?
Dhunt, Dhunta Dhunt, Dha-dha-dhunta-dah-Dhunt!

Noisy
29-04-2004, 09:06:15
'Strange Days'.

Eklektikos
05-05-2004, 14:44:37
I've long been a fan of the original scores Angelo Badalamenti composes for David Lynch's films. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and Lost Highway being two of my particular favourites.

And yes, Ennio Morricone's music is amazing.